Beta Test: Plex (Feature now publicly available)

I can’t see that a Plex endpoint is any more complex than any of them
headless Plexamp is a fully independent player instance and does some things different vs most other receiver/connect endpoints ... for example, it caches entire files for at least current + next track

headless Plexamp is a fully independent player instance and does some things different vs most other receiver/connect endpoints ... for example, it caches entire files for at least current + next track
A bit like Amazon Music then on echo and other devices I suspect. Let’s see what WiiM and Plex can achieve then…

I’d expect that for the Mini but not necessarily so for the others due to their greater ram and number of cpu cores - after all, they already accommodate the requirements and act as Connect endpoints/renderers for UPnP, Spotify, Tidal, Amazon Music, Sqeezelite etc and I can’t see that a Plex endpoint is any more complex than any of them
Well it is a bit more complex... for a Raspberry PI to act as an endpoint, it runs a full instance of Plex headless and it can do DSP stuff like limiting, normalisation, EQ, fades. The implementation on the WiiM devices would have to be a bit more barebones (which I wouldn't mind - I just want bit-perfect playback)

* oops: what tgp-2 said ;)

I just want bit-perfect playback)
So do I but Plex is already limited in that.
It does not support DSD for example. And having DSP and normalisation is mutually exclusive with being bit-perfect.

I do see the sampling rate change on my DAC though.

Hi everyone! Thanks all for testing out the Plex integration! We've been going through your feedback and have partnered with Plex to build a more in depth integration with Plex before we go live. Please continue to share feedback, we'll keep reading it.

We'll let you know when there's more to share, but for now we're going back to the development desk for some more time.
Thanks for the update, and all the work that you have and will put into this. Look forward to seeing what comes out of this partnership 👌

Hi everyone! Thanks all for testing out the Plex integration! We've been going through your feedback and have partnered with Plex to build a more in depth integration with Plex before we go live. Please continue to share feedback, we'll keep reading it.

We'll let you know when there's more to share, but for now we're going back to the development desk for some more time.
Hi,
this is good news, it's the right approach.
I am sure that in a short while we will have more information about feaures and roadmap as result of this collaboration.

I did have a few issues with the beta version.

One being that it would only play half a song before skipping onto the next one.

And again we have expectations build-up that this collaboration with Plex leads to plexamp endpoint. I still don't see that direction in the latest communication from @RyanWithWiim. Is there a communication approach agreed now internally at WiiM specifically on the plexamp endpoint topic?

And again we have expectations build-up that this collaboration with Plex leads to plexamp endpoint.
WiiM have never mentioned PlexAmp (frustratingly they've never communicated any details) so any expectations are being built by the community.

No PLEX integration is a deal breaker for me.

I can’t even stream my PLEX library through Googlecast due to the ongoing issues with that.

I’m now sitting with a library of 3000 albums that I can’t play on my music streamer over my home network.

No PLEX integration is a deal breaker for me.

I can’t even stream my PLEX library through Googlecast due to the ongoing issues with that.

I’m now sitting with a library of 3000 albums that I can’t play on my music streamer over my home network.
Is Plex’s DLNA server not an option for you?

Is Plex’s DLNA server not an option for you?
Symfonium on Android is another option, which can play to the UPnP interface and syncs plays and ratings.
It's not free, but only a one time purchase.

Symfonium on Android is another option, which can play to the UPnP interface and syncs plays and ratings.
It's not free, but only a one time purchase.
Symfonium upnp is probably the best workaround I've found, in the absence of plexamp endpoint. It's not perfect though. I've found issues with its queue management (it occasionally thinks that it's playing one song but it's actually playing the next song in the queue...)

Yeah Symfonium is not perfect (although there is no app that does all of this), but it's a fantastic app for a cheap, one time payment with great support. Customization is in-cre-di-ble.

I actually submitted a ticket today because Symfonium would cut off songs and skip to the next, but the developer looked at my logs and said it was actually the WiiM who was doing that. So I submitted a ticket to the WiiM team. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back