Beta Test: Plex

WiiM Team

Administrator
Staff member
Hi WiiM Community,

We are currently seeking beta testers for our Plex feature.

The Plex feature allows you to browse and stream content directly from Plex to our device through our app.

If you are interested in beta testing this new feature, please provide your Wiim Forum username and MAC address in the Beta Test Plex link.

September 5, 2024 Updates:

- The iOS app has been uploaded to the App Store today.
- Beta firmware for all WiiM products, supporting Plex, will also be released tomorrow.

September 6, 2024 Updates:

- The iOS app (Version 2.11.5) and beta firmware are now available on the App Store.
- The Android app will be released next week, so stay tuned!
- In two weeks, the next development stage for Plex will include:
1. Support for Preset, Alarm, Search, and Recently Played.
2. Full display of Plex content on the Plex Home page.

Thanks!
WiiM Team

Last edited:
The problem seems to be more nuanced. The text „Beta Test Plex link“ has two different links: Clicking on „Beta Test Plex“ links to a google form which requires a login and clicking on „link“ goes to a DLNA Cast beta form which doesn’t require a google login….

Edit: Please remove the google login requirement for the Plex beta else I won’t be able to sign up for this beta.

Last edited:
A headless PlexAmp endpoint is like a Squeezelite client if you’re using LMS.

Edit: And the WiiM Ultra/Amp/Pro(+) act as Squeezelite clients in the network.

Which is a pity.
Given that WiiM have on many, many occasions refused to comment on PlexAmp endpoint, I think it must be on the cards.
I assume that Plex would do the testing/certification of such an endpoint, so there likely wouldn't be a user beta.

Last edited:
This is a WHA integration for browsing your Plex server, not WiiM as a PlexAmp endpoint.
I already can browse my Plex server using WHA. Would be very interesting to use Plexamp and our wiims as endpoint (UPnP I suppose), as it can be done via Chromecast

I already can browse my Plex server using WHA.
Only by using the Plex DLNA interface which is very limited. The new UI will likely be more visually and functionally rich, and hopefully include some of the metadata that Plex scrapes too.

Would be very interesting to use Plexamp and our wiims as endpoint (UPnP I suppose), as it can be done via Chromecast
This is what most people want. This would be a proper Plex developed streaming interface as seen on Lumin, AudioLab e.t.c., not UPnP.

This is what most people want. This would be a proper Plex developed streaming interface as seen on Lumin, AudioLab e.t.c., not UPnP.
Lumin, Audiolab are AV UPnP servers and use the UPnP protocol

Lumin, Audiolab are AV UPnP servers
Yes they are also UPnP renderers, but like WiiM they support multiple interfaces (ways to send music to them) including PlexAmp, Spotify Connect, TIDAL connect etc

*following*

Hopefully it'll come with endpoint functionality and the Plex library browsing through WiiM Home app is just a bonus. It'll be hard for them to beat the browsing experience of the Plexamp app or even the vanilla Plex app.

It'll be hard for them to beat the browsing experience of the Plexamp app or even the vanilla Plex app.
WiiM don't need to beat or even match the native apps, all they need to do is provide robust access to all the services and hope that an integrated solution is a more appealing proposition that having one app per service i.e. the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Whilst this approach doesn't work for me - with local media and one online streaming service - it probably does for most, which is who this is aimed at.

Back