Beta Test: Plex

WiiM don't need to beat or even match the native apps, all they need to do is provide robust access to all the services and hope that an integrated solution is a more appealing proposition that having one app per service i.e. the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Whilst this approach doesn't work for me - with local media and one online streaming service - it probably does for most, which is who this is aimed at.
If by "robust access" you mean simply browsing the library, then it totally misses the point. There's plenty of (free) software which allows me to just access the music files on my NAS. It's the intelligence and smarts built into Plexamp which convinced me to pay for a Plexpass.

And I can't help it, but the overall interface of the WiiM Home app feels a little cheap to me still. I avoid it as much as I can and only use it to change settings. Just the ability to change the color scheme would do wonders I think ;)

If by "robust access" you mean simply browsing the library, then it totally misses the point. There's plenty of (free) software which allows me to just access the music files on my NAS. It's the intelligence and smarts built into Plexamp which convinced me to pay for a Plexpass.
And you have an app for that (PlexAmp) which WiiM aren't attempting to compete with, if only because Plex wouldn't let them.

This change (the Plex beta) is about - better - integrating another source of local music into the WiiM ecosystem, with I assume/hope much better functionality than the current UPnP implementation e.g. queue management e.t.c. The number of customers that only listen to local content (which is all PlexAmp can do) is vanishingly small; this change is for the rest of them.

I think WiiM as a PlexAmp endpoint will happen (mainly because they've refused to deny it), it's not one or the other.

WiiM target looks like enabling playlists and queue management having a mix of various sources/services. It is not yet possible now correct?

I see (some) value in that, surely with Tidal integration now dropped from Plex. My reality however is that 99% of my critical listening is from Plexamp only and like @pieterv1 I see little chance another player beating that experience.

So if the 99% isn't addressed, don't see why to buy into WiiM.

Let's wait and see.

WiiM target looks like enabling playlists and queue management having a mix of various sources/services. It is not yet possible now correct?
I haven’t seen any indication of a WiiM target for the above - from where did you infer that?

Got the iOS app and the beta firmware on my Pro Plus:
I can login into my plex account and choose my music library (the server has two libraries) but then I get nothing except this screen (the server is reachable in my network using other clients from same iOS device):

IMG_9983.jpeg

Edit: Additionally reported as feedback from within WiiM Home App.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iso
Got the iOS app and the beta firmware on my Pro Plus:
I can login into my plex account and choose my music library (the server has two libraries) but then I get nothing except this screen (the server is reachable in my network using other clients from same iOS device):
Do you have remote access enabled in Plex?
I hope it's not a requirement, but I think it is for Plex through Sonos.

And you have an app for that (PlexAmp) which WiiM aren't attempting to compete with, if only because Plex wouldn't let them.

This change (the Plex beta) is about - better - integrating another source of local music into the WiiM ecosystem, with I assume/hope much better functionality than the current UPnP implementation e.g. queue management e.t.c. The number of customers that only listen to local content (which is all PlexAmp can do) is vanishingly small; this change is for the rest of them.

I think WiiM as a PlexAmp endpoint will happen (mainly because they've refused to deny it), it's not one or the other.
I guess I'm one of that vanishingly small number who access only local content. But then so are the 4 or 5 friends who bought WiiMs on my recommendation. I'm not sure that number is as small as you think

Is it possible to add the last.fm scrobble If I have connected my Plex to last.fm?
Or will that be integrated in the coming last.fm feature update?

Is it possible to add the last.fm scrobble If I have connected my Plex to last.fm?
Or will that be integrated in the coming last.fm feature update?
I would expect that the Plex server handles the scrobbling for you. It will be one of the first things to test as soon as Plex Integration works for me.

I got the beta today. It doesn't scrobble If I play something from Plex on my WiiM.

I got the beta today. It doesn't scrobble If I play something from Plex on my WiiM.
So what does it do that is different from using DLNA? I run a plex server but never use plex itself, other than plexamp on my phone when I'm out of the house

That sucks. Which makes the Plex Integration hardly better than simply enabling the Plex server’s DLNA sharing…

So what does it do that is different from using DLNA?
The meta tags are better integrated. For example you can directly go to the artist when you click on the three dots on the track. You also can add titles direct to Plex collections. The Radio feature is also available now and you have the recommendatios you also have on the Plexamp home screen.
Also all in all it feels faster than using the DLNA connection.

Back