Cannot access USB audio library

I just tested a new USB thumb drive with my WiiM Amp (and will test it with my Ultra next):

Netac US5 1TB Solid State Drive Portable Type-C and USB 3.2 Interface

Sequential read and write speed does pretty much live up to the advertised values:

CrystalDiskMark_20240731132710.png

USB-A and USB-C port did show virtually identitcal results (both being USB 3.2 that's not surprising). The drive came pre-formatted as exFAT and I kept it like that. Spoiler alert: No problem at all for my WiiM Amp.

As always I used MusicBee to sync the music library on my NAS with the thumb drive. Average write speed according to Windows task manager was close to 50 MByte/second. It's actually limited by the Wi-Fi connection between my router and my notebook, which maxes out a little over 400 MBit/second.

The next step was to connect it to the USB input on the WiiM Amp. It got detected immediately, so I hit that Scan Now button:

01 USB Disk Detected.jpg

Here's the only odditiy. After exactly 90 minutes the file counter stopped, but the Scanning in Progress screen didn't go away.

02 Scanning in Progress no progress.jpg

After 4 more minutes I decided to quit and restart the WiiM Home App. Everything had worked out as expected:

03 Scan finished.jpg

Indexing these 12616 songs in 951 albums in 90 minutes looks pretty good to me.

The music files and folders represent 305 GiB of data, actually occupying 307 GiB of storage due to the cluster size. The wiim_cache folder adds another 3.06 GiB for 1.23 GiB of actual data. Lots of small files, so cluster size leads to noticeable waste here.

The case and caps are all made of metal and the whole thing weighs in at a whopping 50 grams. It didn't break any of the USB ports involved, but if you throw it after someone it makes for a compact weapon. :)

Is this an efficient way of serving music in your network? I won't start that discussion again. All I can say is, it works very well.

Last edited:
90 minutes isn't too bad. Would be interesting to know how long subsequent scans take.

How big is files.db in the wiim_cache folder?

90 minutes isn't too bad. Would be interesting to know how long subsequent scans take.

How big is files.db in the wiim_cache folder?
Subsequent scans have been much faster with the smaller 512 GB stick I had tested so far. Will look after the size of files.db tomorrow.

A rescan with no changes to the content at all takes < 15 seconds.

Are you trying to be funny?
I had a typo in the text, which I corrected after your hint. The screenshot did and still does show the real number of files. As I explicitly wrote, they are almost exclusively FLAC with a handful of MP3s added.

Last edited:
The files.db is 35.1 MiB in this case (taking up 35.2 MiB of storage).

The art_cache folder is yet another story. Since basically one picture is stored for every single song and these files are rather small the resulting numbers are about silly: 1.19 GiB of data taking up 3.03 GiB of storage capacity on that drive.

Cluster size (as it came formatted from the factory) is 256 KiB.

I had a typo in the text, which I corrected after your hint. The screenshot did and still does show the real number of files. As I explicitly wrote, they are almost exclusively FLAC with a handful of MP3s added.
Ok. I see now. I read the origianl text without looking at the screenshot hence the comment re mp3

Ok. I see now. I read the origianl text without looking at the screenshot hence the comment re mp3
Thanks for pointing me to that error. I didn't mean to make a joke at your expense. I just didn't get your intention, initially. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for pointing me to that error. I didn't mean to make a joke at your expense. I just didn't get your intention, initially. Sorry for the confusion.
No worries.

On a serious note it is already clear that the choice of USB is going to be a critical factor in terms of scanning response time - not all USBs are the same but for storing files people generally don't need fast ones but here it looks like they do. I think it would be an idea to document models that are known to work well somewhere. Is there a Resource area here ?

The files.db is 35.1 MiB in this case (taking up 35.2 MiB of storage).
That should easily fit in RAM, but without knowing how constrained the Amp/Ultra is it's hard to know just how big a collection would. I guess the Sonos 65,000 limit is possible, which is probably all it's designed for really.

Last edited:
Please send us a ticket so we can check it further. Meanwhile, if possible, can you please check if you can use NTFS or FAT32? Thank you for your assistance and patience.
Well I sent the ticket and got no response. The library still shows up with no files found. I guess I'm sending it back, it doesn't work.1000098609.jpg

Last edited:
Well I sent the ticket and got no response. The library still shows up with no files found. I guess I'm sending it back, it doesn't work.View attachment 10367
What device you have connected hard drive or flash drive? If it’s hard drive, you need have it connected to external power supply. The usb is not sufficient to power hard drive.

Thumb drive are cheap if that don’t work replace it with different brand instead returning wiim.
Alright so I read something in the forum and tried with the iOS app since I happen to have an ipad. The scan works perfectly with the wiim home iOS app. But still no dice with the android version. Meaning I can't scan with my phone but there is no problem with the ipad.

Alright so I read something in the forum and tried with the iOS app since I happen to have an ipad. The scan works perfectly with the wiim home iOS app. But still no dice with the android version. Meaning I can't scan with my phone but there is no problem with the ipad.
People using iOS are surviving the Sonos troubles with fewer problems than android users. I don’t know why.

Back