can't help but be slightly disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

theflowerist

I received the Ultra yesterday. It has lots of qualities such as the looks, decent build quality, the Volume button has been improved compared to the Amp...but what a disappointment when I realised that there was no Airplay. I didn't pay attention to the matter given the fact all their previous products had it....
Then, I remember being on the fence about the screen implementation when they showcased it a few months back, and that thought popup back again. Why didnt Wiim use an OLED screen? I would have gladly paid a bit more money for it because the LCD backlighting just wastes the good looks of the unit.... Also hoping for more VU meter options

Something tells me a an improved version of the Ultra will be quickly released because the lack of airplay is a terrible, terrible miss. I can't imagine Wiim not leaving lots of money on the table because of its absence...despite workaround such as adding a Belkin airplay dongle

For the rest, it sounds quite nice...or it placebo effect? It replaced a Yamaha WXC-50 streamer
Unfortunately, I will most likely return the unit and wait for the updated version and possibly buy a streamer from another brand to help with my disappointment ;)

Wiim, as a tip. You might want to consider doing 2 form factors like Cambridge Audio does for MXN10 and AXN10. At the end of the day, the SQ delta is minimal and HIfi gears are also decoration items.

I dont understand why ppl use airplay. Havnt even crossed my mind using it

The sad fact of life is that Apple probably has the best apps for music playing and music buying (with iTunes) and when you want to very conveniently stream music from your phone, airplay is where it's at.
I don't use any streaming service. They seem like a waste of money to me. You can only hear music as long as you pay....to me that sounds idiotic particularly when I tend to listen to the same albums. For discovering new stuff, I use a few great internet radios and buy what I like.

I dont understand why ppl use airplay. Havnt even crossed my mind using it.
I use Apple Music for music discovery and atmos content. It's massively convenient to be able to stream to the hifi - via airplay - from my phone/Macbook. It also makes life easy for significant other and the children. Ditto when iPhone-owning friends/family come over and want to be dj.

To my ears, on my system Roon (into an Oppo endpoint) sounds far better than using Apple Music via airplay into Apple TV. However, having both solutions gives me everything I need.

Last edited:
The sad fact of life is that Apple probably has the best apps for music playing and music buying (with iTunes) and when you want to very conveniently stream music from your phone, airplay is where it's at.
I don't use any streaming service. They seem like a waste of money to me. You can only hear music as long as you pay....to me that sounds idiotic particularly when I tend to listen to the same albums. For discovering new stuff, I use a few great internet radios and buy what I like.
Cant you use the wiim app?

Apple Music aside, to stream podcasts, YouTube, Bandcamp, SoundCloud or whatever from any iOS device to the WiiM.
Just checked now on my iPhone, both YouTube, Bandcamp and SoundCloud apps can stream with Chromecast. So no need for AirPlay to use those services. As a bonus you can get quality up to hires and dont have to use the lossy 256kbps AAC from AirPlay2 👍🏻

What service do you use for podcasts?

Just checked now on my iPhone, both YouTube, Bandcamp and SoundCloud apps can stream with Chromecast. So no need for AirPlay to use those services. As a bonus you can get quality up to hires and dont have to use the lossy 256kbps AAC from AirPlay2 👍🏻

What service do you use for podcasts?
Interesting, may I ask how that works? I‘ve never used Chromecast with an iOS device, and googling just now left me none the wiser. Let‘s assume I am sitting on my couch with my iPhone in my hand and the Bandcamp app opened… :)

Edit: I made sure my Pro Plus has chromecast enabled, but I am not seeing any chromecast buttons/symbols on the Bandcamp app. Do I need to enable it on the phone somewhere?

Edit 2: ah, I think I am getting there, I need the Google Home app…

Edit 3: or not, I am just never seeing a chromecast option in any of the iOS apps. Any help much appreciated!

Last edited:
Same here. Remember only the times with the hardware Chromecast dongles and a horrible Google Cast app for iOS. Used it for TV and was never aware one can use it to bring music into a stereo. Always prepared to learn something new.

Interesting, may I ask how that works? I‘ve never used Chromecast with an iOS device, and googling just now left me none the wiser. Let‘s assume I am sitting on my couch with my iPhone in my hand and the Bandcamp app opened… :)

Edit: I made sure my Pro Plus has chromecast enabled, but I am not seeing any chromecast buttons/symbols on the Bandcamp app. Do I need to enable it on the phone somewhere?

You should see it on the bottom left 🙂
Works like Spotify/Tidal Connect, just click on it and choose Your WiiM-device. If Your WiiM does’nt show in the list, check in the prefences on the Pro/Ultra inside WiiM-app that Chromecast is activated.

IMG_5556.jpeg

You should see it on the bottom left 🙂
Works like Spotify/Tidal Connect, just click on it and choose Your WiiM-device. If Your WiiM does’nt show in the list, check in the prefences on the Pro/Ultra inside WiiM-app that Chromecast is activated.

View attachment 10171
Thanks a lot, I am not seeing the symbol though. The pro plus has chromecast enabled.

Edit: it does work in the YouTube app, though, a first success! :)

Attachments

• IMG_6248.png
    IMG_6248.png
    833.9 KB · Views: 8
Thats how it looks here with my streamer on my iPad. The DAC shows 24/96. As soon as it becomes gapless it will be a good alternative.

IMG_4235.jpeg

Did you get along with the Google Home app?

Some devices and/or services might depend on it being configured, others seem to be less picky. But once you got it working Chromecast is remarkably robust and - as has been mentioned before - lossless. Even more important: In contrast to AirPlay the data stream doesn't travel through your smartphone. The app on the phone is just a remote telling the Chromecast enabled device where to find the stream. Once the connection is established you could switch off the phone.

Chromecast does not support gapless playback, though. Should you intend to stream Die drei ??? to a Chromecast group of devices this would be annoying.

It does seem to work now for every app other than Bandcamp, Bandcamp just can‘t see the WiiM as a chromecast device - I can search for chrome cast devices in the Bandcamp app, but to no avail.

Anyway, thanks a lot again, I learned a lot today!

It does seem to work now for every app other than Bandcamp, Bandcamp just can‘t see the WiiM as a chromecast device - I can search for chrome cast devices in the Bandcamp app, but to no avail.

Anyway, thanks a lot again, I learned a lot today!
Im not a Bandcamp-user, i just found that screen image as an example-photo in Apple AppStore. But to dig into it I installed the app and created an account. The app seems to not find my WiiM Pro. Not sure if the problem is with Bandcamp or WiiM 🫤

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back