Help me figure out the digital flow (WiiM Pro)

Alexandr_2023

There is an opinion that the digital signal sent from Wiim to a separate DAC is converted twice before. That is, in Wiim, the digital signal is first converted into analog, then back into digital, and after that the stream is transmitted via a coaxial cable to a separate DAC. Is it really? Help me to understand!

There is an opinion that the digital signal sent from Wiim to a separate DAC is converted twice before. That is, in Wiim, the digital signal is first converted into analog, then back into digital, and after that the stream is transmitted via a coaxial cable to a separate DAC. Is it really? Help me to understand!
If you use digital outputs of WiiM Pro (optical or coax), the signal stays in the digital domain until it is converted into analog by your separate DAC. It also stays bitperfect unless you activate EQ or limit/fix digital output resolution under Coax Output setting.

What you wrote about is understandable. But there is an opinion that Wiim’s DAC is initially involved. It converts the signal to analog and then back to digital. And then everything is as you described. I want to understand if this is really so. But here the question is for the developers.

What you wrote about is understandable. But there is an opinion that Wiim’s DAC is initially involved. It converts the signal to analog and then back to digital. And then everything is as you described. I want to understand if this is really so. But here the question is for the developers.
That opinion is utter nonsense.

Unfortunately, the developers might be too busy laughing their asses off to answer here.

Hint: A DAC cannot convert an analog signal back to digital, because that's what an ADC does. How many ADCs should WiiM build I to the Pro (apart from the one already there to digitize the analog Line input)? What would be the use of an additional analog step?

WiiM tell you that the Pro can stream bit perfect. This would be impossible if a DAC and ADC would be involved.

Why does your friend hold that opinion? Maybe he is thinking about the analog input which is converted to digital then back to analog.
This is the only scenario that is consistent with what your friend was saying. If you use analog input to the WiiM and then digital out to another device. Then a single A>D conversion occurs. Which will then have to be converted back to analog again outside the WiiM before you can produce sounds...

No, only the analog (RCA) output goes through the DAC.

A digital input is output as digital without using the ADC or DAC.

However the opposite is true in that it's not possible to pass through an analog signal without being converted to digital and back to analog.

Last edited:
I understand that the output sound from any of the digital outputs goes through the DAC, but I could be wrong!
There's no DAC to be seen in this diagram. :)

Some devices (not WiiM) might employ an analog volume control (because the designer want's to attract those who think this must be better). With amplifiers like the WiiM Amp the signal must pass through the DAC because the power amplifier needs an analog input signal.

With amplifiers like the WiiM Amp the signal must pass through the DAC because the power amplifier needs an analog input signal.
The WiiM Amp only has analog outputs so the use of the DAC is essential.
The mini, pro, plus, and ultra have digital outputs also.

I don't believe that a device exists which converts digital to analog in order to use an analog volume control, and then converts back to digital for output.
If it does I don't understand how this could be better than just using digital volume control.

Last edited:
There's no DAC to be seen in this diagram. :)

Some devices (not WiiM) might employ an analog volume control (because the designer want's to attract those who think this must be better). With amplifiers like the WiiM Amp the signal must pass through the DAC because the power amplifier needs an analog input signal.
Too hard to post without a dig on people who do not share all aspects of your wisdom?

Back