Hi-res beta

Yes, I am on the iOS beta. Using it via Tidal Connect. Works as expected and WHA also shows resolution and max tag while streaming.

For me, it sounds very much like Qobuz now - which I like a lot. But this is only true for few tracks (which I know quite well).

So you’re getting 24/196? I’m only getting 24/96 on tidal connect. I can set it to 24/196 but according to DAC it’s only outputting 24/96. The wiim app also reports 24/96.

I tried turning off MQA but then only can streams at 24/48.

So you’re getting 24/196? I’m only getting 24/96 on tidal connect. I can set it to 24/196 but according to DAC it’s only outputting 24/96. The wiim app also reports 24/96.

I tried turning off MQA but then only can streams at 24/48.
I presume they are using a new beta release of Tidal, with native flac's until 192khz.
MQA files are delivered 44.1/16bit and 48/24. First unfolding by enabled WiiM's or any mqa dac, produces respectively 88.2/24 and 96/24. Any other higher resolution, is done by external dac's mqa "miracle" upsampling.
So, if you use just mqa enabled WiiM's, is normal to get until 96 only.

@merifon
Polite to name it miracle, I name it hoax 😉
In the meantime I think that the talk is about Tidal's new high res tier, no longer the dead horse MQA.
As you added.

To resume, other than miracle promises by Bob C....
MQA let to save space and bandwidth up to 96/24 reproduction, sending up to 48/24 files, with very very close results. This is the main (and for me the only) reason for mqa existence.
Other claims are: the miracle MQA software dac algorithm let studio people have a unique reference dac system on which compare studio monitoring and home final D/A process and put the "master" tag, when same results are achieved.
The upsampling secret mqa post processing, claims itself to be better than any other system, even compared to native 192khz flac version of same mastering.
Besides first space save, I have some perplexities on the others self claimed benefits...

Polite to name it miracle, I name it hoax 😉
In the meantime I think that the talk is about Tidal's new high res tier, no longer the dead horse MQA.
As you added.
I'm waiting for this new Tidal's tier, since I like its app, better than Qobuz one and in some aspects even better than Spotify that anyway, should be taken as reference for connection and suggestion parts

The upsampling secret mqa post processing, claims itself to be better than any other system, even compared to native 192khz flac version of same mastering.
And it cannot be even verified as the final unfold must be involved with a DA conversion...

And it cannot be even verified as the final unfold must be involved with a DA conversion...
Speaking with an MQA enthusiast studio guy, he had to admit that the "master" tag is part of a process that no one can assure has always taken place.
Furthermore, he prefers 44.1 16bit final listening so, apart space savings, I can't understand where its mqa preference is coming from...
I think is nothing less that any post production mastering VLT plugin could do.

Last edited:
I presume they are using a new beta release of Tidal, with native flac's until 192khz.
MQA files are delivered 44.1/16bit and 48/24. First unfolding by enabled WiiM's or any mqa dac, produces respectively 88.2/24 and 96/24. Any other higher resolution, is done by external dac's mqa "miracle" upsampling.
This is it.

I'm waiting for this new Tidal's tier, since I like its app, better than Qobuz one and in some aspects even better than Spotify that anyway, should be taken as reference for connection and suggestion parts
Do you mention the PC app here? I have constant issues with Tidal Connect discovery when using their PC app.

Do you mention the PC app here? I have constant issues with Tidal Connect discovery when using their PC app.
Mainly I use android and ios apps, just very seldom I use the pc app but I don’t recall particular problems, statistically has no value...

Yes using the new beta of tidal. It’s suppose to support the new 24/196 flac files tidal is moving too. I have it set to max output that suppose to be 24/196. Using the wiim pro the highest I’m able to get is 24/96.

Guess wondering if anyone else using the tidal beta is getting the 24/196? Trying to determine if it’s something wiim needs to change or if it’s something on my end.

Yes using the new beta of tidal. It’s suppose to support the new 24/196 flac files tidal is moving too. I have it set to max output that suppose to be 24/196. Using the wiim pro the highest I’m able to get is 24/96.

Guess wondering if anyone else using the tidal beta is getting the 24/196? Trying to determine if it’s something wiim needs to change or if it’s something on my end.
If I remind well, in Qobuz, the 192khz files were not too many, majority was 96khz. Could files you are listening to, originally at 96KHz?

Back