Hi-res beta

I have hifi plus and smsl do200 mkii but I still have mqa display. Where’s flac file? I’m using tidal connect.

I have hifi plus and smsl do200 mkii but I still have mqa display. Where’s flac file? I’m using tidal connect.

Thats a shit-show for which you have only TIDAL/MQA to question or blame.

TL:DR = Neither TIDAL Connect, nor Chromecast, or TIDAL's API are yet compatible with hi-res FLAC, though there are reports from WiiM users that they are getting up to 24/96 through the WiiM Home app. YMMV.

reports from WiiM users that they are getting up to 24/96 through the WiiM Home app
I'd have thought that would be the first mqa unfold.

Also, is tidal flac still beta, as implied by the thread title?
i.e. only those signed up would see this?

Last edited:
Every new day again it comes to my mind why people stay with that bs company? Fear for changing something from bad to good? Eventually 2 € difference per month? Masochism? Brand loyalty? The super dooper app? The connect option which seems to be for many users so much more important than sound quality and reliable signs of the resolution?
For years it is known that Tidal and their companions-in-fraud MQA hoaxed people. Even with their CD quality option there is the fact that the DACs able to do so show the magic purple rip-off light. Suspicious? For me yes.
MQA has got what they deserved. Without Tidal it hadn't last so long.

See comment #21 and other replies above - it’ll be a while before Tidal release support for that to third parties like WiiM

Every new day again it comes to my mind why people stay with that bs company? Fear for changing something from bad to good? Eventually 2 € difference per month? Masochism? Brand loyalty? The super dooper app? The connect option which seems to be for many users so much more important than sound quality and reliable signs of the resolution?
For years it is known that Tidal and their companions-in-fraud MQA hoaxed people. Even with their CD quality option there is the fact that the DACs able to do so show the magic purple rip-off light. Suspicious? For me yes.
MQA has got what they deserved. Without Tidal it hadn't last so long.
👏👏👏👏👏

I think this lossless flac, mqa or not etc is very confusing. Good quality information for me as a subscriber is not present. I only need to know what do do and when.

I think this lossless flac, mqa or not etc is very confusing. Good quality information for me as a subscriber is not present. I only need to know what do do and when.
Switch to Qobuz 😉
Or to Amazon Music HD if you can get friend with their UI. Both services show what to expect.

Last edited:
I agree, Tidal didn't ever tell much about files quality and even worse, now is impossible to know which kind of file is, unless selecting it.
Hoping wiim app will let's know how sampled are the flac files, as soon as new API's will be released, since now everything on a given streamer is set to CD quality...
I can live without this consciousness but I would prefer to know. Hoping in new updates...

Last edited:
Switch to Qobuz 😉
Or to Amazon Music HD if you can get friend with their UI. Both services show what to expect.
Let me say that qobuz and Amazon, in different way, have a bad app...
Tidal with flacs and some little refining, would be perfect (for me)

It seems like Tidal Connect does something different than the Wiim iOS app at least. I just tried Bob Marley - Africa Unite and it plays in 24/44.1 if I send it to Wiim from Tidal but 16/44.1 if I play directly in Wiim.

Let me say that qobuz and Amazon, in different way, have a bad app...
Tidal with flacs and some little refining, would be perfect (for me)
My view is totally different. For me, and of course this my egocentric opinion, Qobuz is perfect. I really do not know what the advantages of Tidal and this connect thing shall be. But I am sure that others, like you, see that the other way. And the good part of the story is that everybody can have his own choice. It is also possible that my view on Tidal is burnt due to their at least questionable policy.

I really do not know what the advantages of Tidal and this connect thing shall be.
Just some minor things, first it works with Android auto (qobuz doesn't), then its "connect feature", the more right and interesting suggestions, the "play similar music" button and the good lyrics management make it pleasant to use without needs of Roon and its "bulky" stuff and subscription. Furthermore, mqa is not bad as depicted and anyway it will be dismissed soon.

I agree with @Achim1811. Qobuz get my monthly payment for a similar but different reason. It’s fully integrated with LMS (as well as Roon). I don’t need the Connect app. I probably won’t even install it if it becomes a reality. There is no need.

Back