How to use RC ?

Ok so I finally got the update and tied the RC.. it gave me the following curve which really sounds crappy lol. It basically killed all my treble. I know by listening room probably needs some work but returning to my previous settings for now.

My set up is a Wiim Amp paired with Polk T15s in a 40m2 living room and my listening position is around 4mt away. Any suggestions on how to get the best settings?

View attachment 8318
What does the frequency response look like before and after correction?

I understand.. however the couch distance from the setup configuration is unlikely to change (furniture adjustments require big authorization lol :p ). Would a pair of bigger speakers, also 8ohms help improve this?

Try Polk r700! But you would need a beefy amp preferably AB or top class d .

Easier solution klipsch rp8000f mk2 which your current amp can drive ok

You will still need two subs to cover the space with even bass and fill out the soundstage.

Remember that if you ears receive less bass than the rest of the frequencies you will perceive the sound as harsh and tiring due to the unbalance… even if the rest of the frequency response is correct.

With my speakers I sit 1.7m away and have a Harman response to make the mix tilt more to the bass side

Last edited:
Try Polk r700! But you would need a beefy amp preferably AB or top class d .

Easier solution klipsch rp8000f mk2 which your current amp can drive ok

You will still need two subs to cover the space with even bass and fill out the soundstage.

Remember that if you ears receive less bass than the rest of the frequencies you will perceive the sound as harsh and tiring due to the unbalance… even if the rest of the frequency response is correct.

With my speakers I sit 1.7m away and have a Harman response to make the mix tilt more to the bass side
thanks for the advice, the Klipschs seem beautiful and probably sound great, but they're a bit out of my league for now, but I'll keep in mind. :)

Ok so I finally got the update and tied the RC.. it gave me the following curve which really sounds crappy lol. It basically killed all my treble. I know by listening room probably needs some work but returning to my previous settings for now.

My set up is a Wiim Amp paired with Polk T15s in a 40m2 living room and my listening position is around 4mt away. Any suggestions on how to get the best settings?

View attachment 8318
Please submit a feedback ticket through the WiiM Home App, and we'll review your measurement for any issues. Thank you!

Just used the RC feature on my Wii Amp and it sounds great. There are a lot of if’s and but’s, etc. but for my situation it works well out of the box.

I was pleasantly surprised by the correction: basses have cleaned up a bit and the range from 100 to 1000 Hz, which was especially varied, has been refined nicely. This was the first measurement and I’m going to leave the RC on from now on.

Only hiccup was an error on my iPhone so I had too use my iPad.

Just used the RC feature on my Wii Amp and it sounds great. There are a lot of if’s and but’s, etc. but for my situation it works well out of the box.

I was pleasantly surprised by the correction: basses have cleaned up a bit and the range from 100 to 1000 Hz, which was especially varied, has been refined nicely. This was the first measurement and I’m going to leave the RC on from now on.

Only hiccup was an error on my iPhone so I had too use my iPad.
Hi joostdh,

Please submit a feedback ticket through the WiiM Home App on your iPhone. We want to investigate the issue you're experiencing. Thank you!

You sit too far outside of the capabilities of your speakers and amp
Glad I’m not the only one to notice this.

I do see a trend here of people also correcting outside of the range of their speakers.

One rule of RC is to only corrected within the boundaries of your speakers frequency range. Trying to boost bass at lower than the speaker can capably handle will not improve anything.

I have WPP and I experiment with RC a lot. Overall, a plus in my case. It eliminated some bass boosts in the room, which made the music clearer, the source separation better, and the vocals more natural.

As for distortions, in my opinion, no worries. This is not analog eq, everything happens in the digital domain. You can have fun. I wouldn't judge too quickly and based on single measurements, because everyone has different conditions and equipment. in RC there are a lot of initial settings such as target curve, frequency range, boost and correction width, so some knowledge and a lot of tests on different settings would be useful. And you can still correct everything manually.

I take measurements at night when there is not much background noise. I also move the phone without a case to different positions. The equipment is heated. I'm looking for some repeatability of measurements, I write down many of them and then I'm looking for the "golden grail" 😉 Additionally, I check the effect in the Housecurve app and I don't see anything disturbing.

The effects are promising, and there will probably be further updates and we'll see what happens next.

In my opinion, performing two or three measurements does not justify assessing this function. This is not an advanced solution and in my opinion it can do a good job, but it needs more time and trials. If someone thinks that it is a "miracle pill" and will make a complete correction in 10 seconds without any involvement, this is probably not the way to go. Even more so, this solution should not be assessed in advance after one or several quick measurements.

Overall, it's nice that the producer is trying :)

Hi all

Expert review requested... :)

I ran the RC with the below settings on my WiiM Amp in my office. My speaker are Elac Debut 5.2s in 2.0 setup.

Measured with an iPhone 13 Pro from my listening position at my desk. The room is 4mx4m with a desk, furniture (3 cabinets on the sides and corners of the room) and a computer screen in front of the listening position.

All I can say is that it sound better (richer, fuller nicer) to my ears with RC on than without. Maybe someone with more knowledge experience can check and give tips (if any)?

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    666.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 27

I do see a trend here of people also correcting outside of the range of their speakers.

One rule of RC is to only corrected within the boundaries of your speakers frequency range. Trying to boost bass at lower than the speaker can capably handle will not improve anything.

This is a very important point. I don't think you should use RC if you don't fundamentally understand what is happening in terms of technology.

For this reason, I would find a "How-to do room correction correctly" very useful. WiiM (or a users) should actually write a decent guide on this.

Yeah, like what is Q, and what difference does it make.

Q is the width of the filter, install REW on your PC then play around with manual settings to understand what it does. The higher the number, the narrower the filter is.

You do need measurement equipment. I don't know how accurate phone microphones are, or to what frequency.

Hmm, judging by this thread, RC in WiiM is crude and ill-conceived
You were told yesterday that this was the initial release and probably wouldn’t meet your exacting requirements. Why do you persist in criticizing it if it’s not what you’re after?

WiiM Pro/mini Type-С port only for charging? Or it possible use for data (usb mic)?
Only charging. The usb port on the amp and upcoming Ultra support usb media and soon usb audio out, but no indication of usb audio in. For room correction, the internal mic or an external mic on your phone is used

Only charging. The usb port on the amp and upcoming Ultra support usb media and soon usb audio out, but no indication of usb audio in. For room correction, the internal mic or an external mic on your phone is used

What if UMIK1 is connected to a PC, Wiim home is loaded on PC, so it can be done via that method? Gets around issue of lack of USB port or driver support / android/OS phone etc

What if UMIK1 is connected to a PC, Wiim home is loaded on PC, so it can be done via that method? Gets around issue of lack of USB port or driver support / android/OS phone etc
I wouldn’t expect room correction to be added to the beta PC app anytime soon. It’s currently supported on iOS, and hopefully android next month and I expect that to cover the vast majority of cases.

What range should this be? Is there some kind of guide according to listening distance?

I understand there is a lot of technicality around this RC subject which in the great majority I ignore, and I believe I`m not alone. Most of us just have a determined space and spots where we can place our furniture and then our equipment (not the other way around), also most of us do not have an unlimited budget to get stadium-filling speakers :p or remodel the room to do the "proper audio correction".

I appreciate the input and advice, I'll try to do more tests and try to get the best with what I have.

Back