How to use RC ?

What range should this be? Is there some kind of guide according to listening distance?

It has nothing to do with the listening distance. Every loudspeaker has a certain frequency spectrum that it can reproduce. All brand manufacturers publish this data and you should only use RC in this range. Simply said: size matters! You can't turn a bookshelf speaker into a subwoofer using room control.

What range should this be? Is there some kind of guide according to listening distance?

I understand there is a lot of technicality around this RC subject which in the great majority I ignore, and I believe I`m not alone. Most of us just have a determined space and spots where we can place our furniture and then our equipment (not the other way around), also most of us do not have an unlimited budget to get stadium-filling speakers :p or remodel the room to do the "proper audio correction".

I appreciate the input and advice, I'll try to do more tests and try to get the best with what I have.
Actally, don‘t worry to much! You do not need more knowhow than explained in this thread! Just do it, play around a bit and you‘ll see (and enjoy)… 👍🏻☺️

I understand there is a lot of technicality around this RC subject which in the great majority I ignore, and I believe I`m not alone. Most of us just have a determined space and spots where we can place our furniture and then our equipment (not the other way around), also most of us do not have an unlimited budget to get stadium-filling speakers :p or remodel the room to do the "proper audio correction".

I appreciate the input and advice, I'll try to do more tests and try to get the best with what I have.
Trying to be helpful and I appreciate the attached probably has way too much detail, but if you look at the graph your Polk T15 already start to roll off at 100Hz and have a big dip in the 3-6k range. So I’d suggest you are more realistic and look at low of 90Hz to 4-6Khz range see how that works, the speakers cannot handle corrections down to 40Hz.

As another member mentioned, to be honest for a 40Sqm room you are asking a lot.

Trying to be helpful and I appreciate the attached probably has way too much detail, but if you look at the graph your Polk T15 already start to roll off at 100Hz and have a big dip in the 3-6k range. So I’d suggest you are more realistic and look at low of 90Hz to 4-6Khz range see how that works, the speakers cannot handle corrections down to 40Hz.

As another member mentioned, to be honest for a 40Sqm room you are asking a lot.

A very good value for a true hi fi package .

What you hear now is basically no bass , a ping pong of reflections , you cannot do anything meaningful with eq since your speakers have so many inherent flaws. To listen at 75db at 4m means that your speakers should produce 96 at 1m. I guess at these levels the amount of distortion and driver compression will already spoil the fun…If you care about hi fi and you are on a budget should take a look at these kali in8 v2 and later add a sub ( kali ws12)

Last edited:
A very good value for a true hi fi package .

What you hear now is basically no bass , a ping pong of reflections , you cannot do anything meaningful with eq since your speakers have so many inherent flaws. To listen at 75db at 4m means that your speakers should produce 96 at 1m. I guess at these levels the amount of distortion and driver compression will already spoil the fun…If you care about hi fi and you are on a budget should take a look at these kali in8 v2 and later add a sub

Those seem really nice but they are active speakers and I have a WiiM Amp.. Any suggestions for good budget passive speakers.

Unfortunately for ones like us that are new to this and look a t reviews there`s not much help as most of budget speakers are usually highly rated.

Those seem really nice but they are active speakers and I have a WiiM Amp.. Any suggestions for good budget passive speakers.

Unfortunately for ones like us that are new to this and look a t reviews there`s not much help as most of budget speakers are usually highly rated.

Maybe these

More or less around 1000 euros

This is probably the wrong thread but it does relate to RC. I do measurements using REW then generate PEQ filters. REW has many equaliser settings to choose from, some allow High and Low Shelf filters and some don't. The ones that do allow them don't specify a Q value for shelf filters so I have been using 1 since WiiM PEQ needs a Q value. What do others do?

I have submitted a ticket with feedback, tried RC for the 1st time out of interest to compare( i currently use Housecurve) for some reason I am not seeing any corrections below 100Hz ? Anyone else seen the same issues as the attached and I know I have a room node around 50Hz. Otherwise PEQ /frequencies are similar to Housecurve.

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpeg
    IMG_1066.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1067.png
    IMG_1067.png
    186.9 KB · Views: 23
I have submitted a ticket with feedback, tried RC for the 1st time out of interest to compare( i currently use Housecurve) for some reason I am not seeing any corrections below 100Hz ? Anyone else seen the same issues as the attached and I know I have a room node around 50Hz. Otherwise PEQ /frequencies are similar to Housecurve.

Thx
From where to where did you run the measurements in WIIM?

From where to where did you run the measurements in WIIM?
I used the WiiM App on the iPhone, I also tried iPad same result. i tried various ranges from 25 to 6khz, 40-4Khz, also 40 to 1Khz. It’s quite off i hear the LF sweep through the sub to HF. What i find strange it predicts a LF Peak but no correction, and as expected Bass is too extreme.

Hi all

Expert review requested... :)

I ran the RC with the below settings on my WiiM Amp in my office. My speaker are Elac Debut 5.2s in 2.0 setup.

Measured with an iPhone 13 Pro from my listening position at my desk. The room is 4mx4m with a desk, furniture (3 cabinets on the sides and corners of the room) and a computer screen in front of the listening position.

All I can say is that it sound better (richer, fuller nicer) to my ears with RC on than without. Maybe someone with more knowledge experience can check and give tips (if any)?
Maybe I should ask some more direct questions 😃

Does the measurement look good or way off? It doesn’t say a lot to me ?

The +6db on 1 - 46hz is that ok or should I lower it ?

Last edited:
Maybe I should ask some more direct questions 😃

Does the measurement look good or way off? It doesn’t say a lot to me ?

The +6db on 1 - 46hz is that ok or should I lower it ?
Nothing obviously unusual on measurements that i can tell, however What’s odd is you have around -10db at ~68Hz but only a +0.5db correction, I have the opposite issue a big peak around this freq and no correction. Maybe WiiM can explain why the big delta between measured and corrected in this Band

Nothing obviously unusual on measurements that i can tell, however What’s odd is you have around -10db at ~68Hz but only a +0.5db correction, I have the opposite issue a big peak around this freq and no correction. Maybe WiiM can explain why the big delta between measured and corrected in this Band
Yes it would be useful to know the algorithm behind the corrections. With REW if a large dip would need correction higher than specified in your settings it doesn't do anything.

Maybe you should alter your measuring sweet spot a couple of cm. Maybe there are mods right there?

It’s mystery to me how wiim did this rc. When it was in beta it was sound bad. Public release transform from bad sounding to luxurious sound.

This is probably the wrong thread but it does relate to RC. I do measurements using REW then generate PEQ filters. REW has many equaliser settings to choose from, some allow High and Low Shelf filters and some don't. The ones that do allow them don't specify a Q value for shelf filters so I have been using 1 since WiiM PEQ needs a Q value. What do others do?
Generic EQ e.g. has both, High Shelf and Low Shelf filters with fixed Q and with selectable Q. Just make sure to scroll down the list of filters:

REW EQ Generic HS Q.png

This is a sample of the HS Q filter, LS Q works the same. I assume that a Q of 0.707 is used for the fixed Q filters (maximally flat).

Generic EQ e.g. has both, High Shelf and Low Shelf filters with fixed Q and with selectable Q. Just make sure to scroll down the list of filters:

View attachment 8381

This is a sample of the HS Q filter, LS Q works the same. I assume that a Q of 0.707 is used for the fixed Q filters (maximally flat).
Ah OK can you force it to use HS Q filters for the curve matching since it always seems to use fixed Q (without telling you what the Q is)?

If you care about hi fi and you are on a budget should take a look at these kali in8 v2 and later add a sub ( kali ws12)
Why buy studio equipment for home? This is unnecessary inconvenience.

Most studio monitors produce background noise when there is no signal, plus there is no digital input (which is always better than analog)

Back