How to use RC ?

Yes not sure what the Wiim one does as I have not used it as it’s in a room I don’t use a lot but I use RC via other means and it’s always multiple readings to get a more balanced view of the room. You should take measurments from a number of different locations around the sweet spot usually basing it on a cube. Main listening position first then rest at same distance around it if possible. Dirac asks for about 9 but you can get away with less. I usually do 6.
And what are you doing with the different measurements?

And what are you doing with the different measurements?
Software takes all the readings and gives you an average of them all, Rew, Housecurve, Dirac etc all do this which is then used to apply correction. This way you avoid over correcting for one position as if you move your head left right up or down from one reading it will vary a great deal . You want to correct so it doesn’t just sound great with your head locked in one position.

But if Wiims implantation doesn’t allow for this then not much you can do, other than use a different app to do the measurements such as Housecurve or REW and copy the peq values it gives you into their PEQ.

Last edited:
Software takes all the readings and gives you an average of them all, Rew, Housecurve, Dirac etc all do this which is then used to apply correction. This way you avoid over correcting for one position as if you move your head left right up or down from one reading it will vary a great deal . You want to correct so it doesn’t just sound great with your head locked in one position.
I was specifically asking about Wiim.

You would need to use external app to do readings and manually entry in the peq values it provides. Wiim only does one reading currently which is limiting.

It depends on the phone, for example for iPhones 12 or later they also have mics at the top of the top of the screen so for these you can hold the phone any way you like.
That is termed a "Secondary" or even "FaceTime" Mic, and per various descriptions isn't as big or accurate as the "Primary" Mic at the bottom of the Phone. Newer models even have a 3rd Mic nestled amongst the Camera Lenses "to better pick up Sound for Videos" - which indicates just how Directional the other Mics are... (Yet the little diagram provided in the iOS RC FAQ shows user holding Phone such that 3rd Mic is utilized...)

Note: I've identified as an Android-only household, so haven't seen the in-process instruction screens except through screenshots posted a few pages back. But I do have that iOS Room Correction FAQ open for reference.

That is termed a "Secondary" or even "FaceTime" Mic, and per various descriptions isn't as big or accurate as the "Primary" Mic at the bottom of the Phone. Newer models even have a 3rd Mic nestled amongst the Camera Lenses "to better pick up Sound for Videos" - which indicates just how Directional the other Mics are... (Yet the little diagram provided in the iOS RC FAQ shows user holding Phone such that 3rd Mic is utilized...)

Note: I've identified as an Android-only household, so haven't seen the in-process instruction screens except through screenshots posted a few pages back. But I do have that iOS Room Correction FAQ open for reference.

You clearly should use the primery mic for the reasons you mentioned yourself…

I like many others I'm sure, will be taking their first steps into room correction using an iPhone,and the new Wiim app. My question is, do I manually set the frequency of the crossover and volume on my subwoofer on my 2.1 system , and then run room correction, or does the it work it out itself ? Very confused, many thanks

Back