How to use RC ?

Is your producing noise? I have mine volume set 100 and fixed volume I don’t hear cracking, distortion or noise after rc.
Sorry, I meant I didn’t see or understand the post about editing the automatic curve. Too many conflicting posts.

Just ran room correction, it does sound a lot better and opened up the sound stage significantly. Does anything look weird/ concerning about these adjustments though?IMG_2398.png

Is there anyone out there who is running a (silly) RC experiment using two WiiMs?

1. two WiiMs are connected in series with optical cables, and RC is performed on each WiiM. I am interested in what happens to the RC results on the upstream WiiM B after correction on the downstream WiiM A.

2. two WiiMs in parallel, WiiM A to the right speaker and WiiM B to the left speaker; perform RC on the right speaker with WiiM A and on the left speaker with WiiM B. Play A and B as a stereo pair on the MRM.

Is there anyone else brave enough in their spare time who would like to try these things besides me? 😂

Is there anyone out there who is running a (silly) RC experiment using two WiiMs?

1. two WiiMs are connected in series with optical cables, and RC is performed on each WiiM. I am interested in what happens to the RC results on the upstream WiiM B after correction on the downstream WiiM A.

2. two WiiMs in parallel, WiiM A to the right speaker and WiiM B to the left speaker; perform RC on the right speaker with WiiM A and on the left speaker with WiiM B. Play A and B as a stereo pair on the MRM.

Is there anyone else brave enough in their spare time who would like to try these things besides me? 😂
For case #1, I understand, two WiiM's are serially connected. WiiM A (first unit, upstream) is the receiver of the stream and sends fixed volume output to WiiM B (second unit, downstream) via toslink. If everything works, you'd like to do RC on WiiM A first and adjust volume limit to avoid clipping. If it works, you'd like to do RC on WiiM B while WiiM A is doing RC. I assume RC parameters are identical between WiiM A and B (target curve, frequency range, max gain and Q). Alternatively, do you want to divide RC frequency into two bands - i.e., WiiM A covers low frequency and WiiM B for high frequency.

For case #2, I would not know what network jitters will do. For better understanding of RC, I would do hard left and hard right panning for RC measurement and see if there are significant difference.

If I were willing to have another WiiM just to refine RC, I rather buy a dedicated and much more capable RC hardware solution such as IK Multimedia Arc4 ($300, including measurement microphone).

For case #1, I understand, two WiiM's are serially connected. WiiM A (first unit, upstream) is the receiver of the stream and sends fixed volume output to WiiM B (second unit, downstream) via toslink. If everything works, you'd like to do RC on WiiM A first and adjust volume limit to avoid clipping. If it works, you'd like to do RC on WiiM B while WiiM A is doing RC. I assume RC parameters are identical between WiiM A and B (target curve, frequency range, max gain and Q). Alternatively, do you want to divide RC frequency into two bands - i.e., WiiM A covers low frequency and WiiM B for high frequency.

Such an experiment would be interesting, but not what I have in mind.

First, do the RC on WiiM B. Then do the RC on upstream WiiM A. When the RC is performed upstream at WiiM A, the test audio already corrected at WiiM B should be played back. Therefore, the RC at WiiM A will be performed in duplicate to the RC at WiiM B. I am interested in the measurements and correction results for WiiM A at this time.

For case #2, I would not know what network jitters will do. For better understanding of RC, I would do hard left and hard right panning for RC measurement and see if there are significant difference.

If I were willing to have another WiiM just to refine RC, I rather buy a dedicated and much more capable RC hardware solution such as IK Multimedia Arc4 ($300, including measurement microphone).

WiiM will be adding per-channel PEQ soon, so I am just interested in how it compares.

I would like to test it when my Android receives the RC.

Thank you.🤗

Just for curiosity. Is there any difference (or preference) with the mics in iPad or iPhone?
in earlier days I had to record environmental noises for official purposes. Governmental organizations accepted recordings with an iphone (they tested its performance and accuracy). This is not common! So i stick with the iphone…

Just ran room correction, it does sound a lot better and opened up the sound stage significantly. Does anything look weird/ concerning about these adjustments though?View attachment 8280
The curves looked weird to me too. At lesst in the beginning. But as others explained too, this could be ok and should be ok if it sounds right. The point is, the corrections can be very detailed; look at the Q value - the higher it is the narrower the correction.

They could make a mandatory to attach external mic so even the least expensive tablet can use rc on android.

What if there’s no iPhone to borrow or they won’t let you?
Amazon sells iPads for $125. I have a sound meter that works on both phone and tablet. You’d have to ask Wiim if this is true of their app. This seems like a lot less trouble than buying a calibrated mic that isn’t calibrated for the Wiim.

There’s a dirty little secret about microphones. Good, naked mic modules cost about $5. These were widely discussed about ten years ago. Crown sold a recording mic that was intended to sit on the floor, with just a small gap. This greatly reduced low frequency cancellation caused by room resonance.

The mics in phones are remarkably good. The only reason Apple is preferred is because there are so few variations, and apps know how to adjust for them.

Last edited:
So I’m just thinking off the top of my head and wondering if the best mic or phone placement for low frequency correction might be just a few mm off the floor.

Back