How to use RC ?

Dose the EQ or RC affect bit perfect?
Yes. By definition, DSP's including EQ and RC change (manipulate) bits. An exception is a bit perfect volume attenuation for certain DAC chips operating at higher bit than input data.

Last edited:
I hope they upgrade eventually RC to a more full fledged DRC tool like dirac live or room perfect!

I hope they upgrade eventually RC to a more full fledged DRC tool like dirac live or room perfect!
I doubt with the current WiiM hardware including WiiM Ultra. Dirac requires FIR filter capability in addition to IIR filter. For any DRC that relies on time domain processing, it takes a dedicated DSP chip or loop-back with computer.

I doubt with the current WiiM hardware including WiiM Ultra. DRC requires FIR filter capability in addition to IIR filter. This takes a dedicated DSP chip.

Even if not possible it is fantastic as it is now for me…! Maybe they could utilize cloud processing or not … will see

Last edited:
Meanwhile I am also getting better results! Reducing manually the max correction values from +12 to +7 and limiting the max volume to 90% made a big change! 👍🏻
Also I enter new possibilities: 💡
As I have 2 Subs, I begun to increase the low pass frequency of the Subs from around 45Hz to 70Hz, so that they contribute more to bass and the drivers of my ProAc speakers get less load in the lower departments… Still lots to explore… 😅

Some more playing around leaves me to the following conclusion:
-the RC is not especially „intelligent“. It appears to me, that the limits you are setting e.g. max. Gain 9 and max. Q 7 are merely hard limiters. So the system calculates with the full range and then corrects the values per parameter to the max vales where needed. (So it does not try to to get the best results with the set limits)
So in my case the results are better by using the full range and correct afterwards manually where needed.
In my case the biggest positive impact came in an unexpected way
1. by increasing the gain on the subwoofers manually delibertly!
2. running RC
3. RC seeing a massiv peak in the base and corrects it by taking gain there away and so frees up the mid/base-woofer from my 2-way speakers in this frequency range. In my case inbetween 50 and 70Hz, where crossover happens. It results a massively enhanced soundstage - incredible! 👍🏻😃

IMG_1439.jpeg
However, the world is not perfect! I have some songs with massiv sub base where the little sub woofers come to their limits because the area around 30Hz needs nevertheless a +8db boost and if I play loud this is too much for them. So the HW must be able to cope with the corrections… 😅

I will play around some more in the base department and see if I can manually further tweek it!

Anyway great stuff and completely unexpected! Bravo Wiim❣️👏🏻😃

Last edited:
Some more playing around leaves me to the following conclusion:
-the RC is not especially „intelligent“. It appears to me, that the limits you are setting e.g. max. Gain 9 and max. Q 7 are merely hard limiters. So the system calculates with the full range and then corrects the values per parameter to the max vales where needed. (So it does not try to to get the best results with the set limits)
So in my case the results are better by using the full range and correct afterwards manually where needed.
In my case the biggest positive impact came in an unexpected way
1. by increasing the gain on the subwoofers manually delibertly!
2. running RC
3. RC seeing a massiv peak in the base and corrects it by taking gain there away and so frees up the mid/base-woofer from my 2-way speakers in this frequency range. In my case inbetween 50 and 70Hz, where crossover happens. It results a massively enhanced soundstage - incredible! 👍🏻😃

View attachment 8275
However, the world is not perfect! I have some songs with massiv sub base where the little sub woofers come to their limits because the area around 30Hz needs nevertheless a +8db boost and if I play loud this is too much for them. So the HW must be able to cope with the corrections… 😅

I will play around some more in the base department and see if I can manually further tweek it!

Anyway great stuff and completely unexpected! Bravo Wiim❣️👏🏻😃
Wouldn't it be easier to just use the basic EQ and just manually adjust the frequencies to what sounds good in your room. Seems like this RC is like a waste of time, if you have to be correcting it manually anyway.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the basic EQ and just manually adjust the frequencies to what sounds good in your room. Seems like this RC is like a waste of time, if you have to be correcting it manually anyway.
Read my post again and see the correction chart! How would you find these correction values manually?
The only reason why I correct AFTERWARDS manually is the fact that my little subwoofers lack in strength! They cannot deal with the gain bursts needed.

With the graphic EQ, it is impossible to hit the right frequencies exactly. And you can't do it manually with the parametric EQ either, at least not without any measurements. How do you want to hit these values exactly? Frequency, gain and width of the correction (Q)

A simple improvement would be to allow tweaking the automatic curve, and adjusting the master level. And so forth.

After installing another subwoofer, I redid RC. I set RC parameters to;
Target curve: Harman, Freq: 20-600Hz, max gain: 9dB, max Q: 10

I calculated impulse responses with IIR filters in Python (not REW) and maximum amplitude in time domain is +0.02dB. To avoid clipping, I set volume limit to 99% (-0.6dB).

My impression is RC slightly improve vocal clarity.

Attachments

• IMG_374812384BC3-1.jpeg
    IMG_374812384BC3-1.jpeg
    793.9 KB · Views: 18
A simple improvement would be to allow tweaking the automatic curve, and adjusting the master level. And so forth.
Of course you can tweak the automatic curve. That’s what I am doing and what I explained above… 🙄

Back