Just can't get Spotify Connect to 'see' my Ultra (Pro+ is OK)

Spotify app "speaker" icon...

View attachment 11280

Click the ellipsis and this is all there is...

View attachment 11279

So does this indicate anything?

I'm lost.
Try it again. If it still just shows that, then it would suggest you haven’t enabled Chromecast (or it can’t find it) for that device, and that it will just use Connect. I get that blank display (I.e no choice to make) for my Mini which happily supports Spotify Connect but which can’t offer Chromecast as an option.

Hi Guy48065,

We have carefully reviewed your logs and identified the root cause. It appears that your router has multiple access points with the same name, and your Cisco router is blocking multicast traffic between these Wi-Fi access points. We have provided some suggestions in our new conversation—please take a look at them.
This is GREAT news!
I didn't know how to make such changes to an Xfinity router but I'll research it & give it a go.

This is GREAT news!
I didn't know how to make such changes to an Xfinity router but I'll research it & give it a go.
It would be better if WiiM actually provided the log section where they found the issue.

Presume that their note means that you have two different WiFi networks with the same SSID. So change the SSID on one. You mentioned in your original post that you had devices on two different networks, but likely when you set them up, you provided the same SSID to both. If it's XFinity that has provided the setup and locked it down, then you will need to find a way to put all the devices onto the same network.

Which Xfinity gateway do you have?

Hi Guy48065,

We have carefully reviewed your logs and identified the root cause. It appears that your router has multiple access points with the same name, and your Cisco router is blocking multicast traffic between these Wi-Fi access points. We have provided some suggestions in our new conversation—please take a look at them.
This is an answer that is related to reply #4 although more specific. If you have more logical networks they should have different access point names. You can however have multiple access point names for the same logical network, e.g. for different frequencies (2G, 5G).

To what end?
Everyone approaches problem-solving in their own way. Logs tend to provide more detailed and concrete information compared to high-level guidance, often offering clearer insights. It works for me to go down the rabbit holes when I need to. This is the information age after all.

Everyone approaches problem-solving in their own way. Logs tend to provide more detailed and concrete information compared to high-level guidance, often offering clearer insights. It works for me to go down the rabbit holes when I need to. This is the information age after all.
So for this problem, you want to see the OP’s logs to verify if the developer has analysed them correctly? I could perhaps see the point of you wanting to see your logs for a problem you have (which you easily can in Android, and with a little effort in iOS) , but wanting to verify the developer’s conclusion of someone else’s issue smacks of hubris to me 🤷‍♂️

So for this problem, you want to see the OP’s logs to verify if the developer has analysed them correctly? I could perhaps see the point of you wanting to see your logs for a problem you have (which you easily can in Android, and with a little effort in iOS) , but wanting to verify the developer’s conclusion of someone else’s issue smacks of hubris to me 🤷‍♂️
I don't think you read what I wrote. Sorry this causes you angst.

In that case, please accept my apology if I’ve misinterpreted your intent.

Given the OP seems unsure of what to do re their Cisco router, I’d doubt if viewing their logs would be of use to them
Some of us do know how to read logs and can help interpret for the OP...it all comes from a good place. I like to think that most people on this forum are friendly and community-oriented global neighbours, so thanks for this.

Some of us do know how to read logs and can help interpret for the OP...it all comes from a good place. I like to think that most people on this forum are friendly and community-oriented global neighbours, so thanks for this.
Sorry, I still don't understand to whom you want WiiM to supply the logs of one certain customer without his explicit consent.

They wrote the software, they know how to read the logs, they did just that and adviced that number guy what to do. What's wrong with that?

Have you tried to delete the Spotify app and reinstall it again. That solved all my issues with the Spotify connect not showing in the network list. I have struggled with this in weeks now and finally it works. Can also say I reset all settings on my iphone too but don't know if that made any difference.

Have you tried to delete the Spotify app and reinstall it again. That solved all my issues with the Spotify connect not showing in the network list. I have struggled with this in weeks now and finally it works. Can also say I reset all settings on my iphone too but don't know if that made any difference.
Yes. But not in the past 4 days. 🤷‍♂️

Update: still no fix.
Today i spent some time with my basement system (Pro+)--which I've been neglecting since this problem with the Ultra. Thanks to renaming my wifi channels I've had to reconnect everything in my house, including the Pro+. It went thru the entire Setup process just like Day1 and once complete it immediately connected with Spotify. Pro+ does, Ultra doesn't. Nobody knows why.

Looks like I'm going to have to call in Geek Squad to figure out how to make these "simple plug & play" devices play well with each other.

Update: still no fix.
Today i spent some time with my basement system (Pro+)--which I've been neglecting since this problem with the Ultra. Thanks to renaming my wifi channels I've had to reconnect everything in my house, including the Pro+. It went thru the entire Setup process just like Day1 and once complete it immediately connected with Spotify. Pro+ does, Ultra doesn't. Nobody knows why.

Looks like I'm going to have to call in Geek Squad to figure out how to make these "simple plug & play" devices play well with each other.
And Pro+, Ultra and your phone with WHA all connects to same (new) access point?

And Pro+, Ultra and your phone with WHA all connects to same (new) access point?
Yeah, that would be a sensible thing to try.

As alluded to above in WiiM’s res-insert, it does appear to be a Cisco network related issue, perhaps similar to the information discussed in this Spotify community post

If the Geek Squad need called in, I’d suggest they’d need good Cisco network skills.

As alluded to above in WiiM’s res-insert, it does appear to be a Cisco network related issue, perhaps similar to the information discussed in this Spotify community post

If the Geek Squad need called in, I’d suggest they’d need good Cisco network skills.
Maybe then Geek Squad could explain why my Pro+ does this instantaneously and effortlessly right out of the box, while the Ultra (2 of them) falls on its face.

It's already in the same house, connected to the same network (edit: specifically the same MAC AP). Now you want me to connect it to the same amp--like it's going to make a difference.

I've wasted many hours on something that's supposed to take 5 minutes to configure. I'm moving on.
I've returned one Ultra and I'm going to cancel my Spotify Premium. Qobuz works perfectly so they're getting a new customer.
I'll keep using Spotify (free) so I can continue to collaborate with my daughter on playlists. This is the only reason I've been pushing so hard to get Spotify to connect.

Last edited:

The network vendor don't matter. What matters is that the IP network addresses are on the same subnet?

If not on same subnet the devices cannot discover each other.

If there is an unusual configuration in the router (as it seems in the referenced article) it might complicates things but in a normal home setup there should only be one network.

Back