NAS Album Artwork on Wiim App?

jtucker

I have quite a few CDs ripped to a NAS on my network. Using the Wiim app most, but not all, album artwork is not shown. If I use iPeng app to control the Wiim Ultra via Squeezelite, all the artwork appears as it should. This work around is somewhat acceptable, as I tend to use iPeng to control various other Squeezebox devices and RPi streamers. Anyway, it would be nice to get the artwork using the Wiim app directly. To access the NAS, from the Wiim app, I 'Browse" then 'Home Music Share' then select the NAS. Am I missing something here? Any help is appreciated.

To access the NAS, from the Wiim app, I 'Browse" then 'Home Music Share' then select the NAS. Am I missing something here? Any help is appreciated.
This is likely to be a media server issue. Do you know which server is running on your NAS?

To rule out a WiiM app issue try browsing your media server with BubbleUPnP (Android) or mconnect (iOS).

This is likely to be a media server issue. Do you know which server is running on your NAS?

To rule out a WiiM app issue try browsing your media server with BubbleUPnP (Android) or mconnect (iOS).
It will be LMS since he mentions iPeng with perhaps the DLNA interface or the NASs own DLNA server alongside LMS.

Someone else posted about this issue and it was (I think) that album art was embedded and not in folder.jpg or cover.jpg format in folders. Or perhaps the other way round.

LMS can deal with either scenario but it seems WiiM cant

So far as I know, there is no server running on the NAS. LMS is installed but it is disabled. The network LMS that is active resides in my RPi running piCorePlayer. The NAS is a ReadyNAS 312, which is end of life now, so I cannot easily load any new applications. There appear to be several versions of mconnect on the app store, some free, some paid. Which would I need?

In my case, the album art file names are mostly (album name).jpg Do you think I need to rename them?

In my case, the album art file names are mostly (album name).jpg Do you think I need to rename them?
Folder.jpg is the standard so that's the first thing to try.
I assume you're on iOS? Is there an mconnect Lite?

Yes. The convention which all media servers adopt is either embedded or
folder.jpg
cover.jpg
Some support .png etc instead

Do you have the UPNP Media Interface plugin by Andy Grundman installed and running? If so that is what Home Share is seeing. If not then you may have an ancient DLNA server running directly on the NAS

Looks like folder.jpg works on a test album. Let me try a few more.
MiniDLNA (which is almost certainly what's running on your server) actually supports a wide range of names (see below), but I've been using folder.jpg for years and that has worked with every server I've tried - and I've tried a lot of them.
Code:
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg
album_art_names=AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg
album_art_names=Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg

Whilst it's not always the case (apparently it depends how it's built), MiniDLNA normally only serves thumbnails. Do the images you see in the WiiM Home app appear to be lower resolution that the originals?

Last edited:
Well the plot thickens a little bit. I changed a couple of the album art *.jpg files to cover.jpg. The cover art still does not show in the album list, but if I select the album from the list, the album art is visible, both on the Wiim Ultra screen and the ipad running the Wiim app.

Yes the pictures do appear to be lower resolution, than the same file via ipeng and squeezelite.

Who knows what may or may not be running on the NAS.

Also, the cover art that is/was originally available in the Wiim app is not named either 'cover' or 'folder' and does show up in the album listing as well as the while the album is selected or playing.

Any additional suggestions are much appreciated.

Well the plot thickens a little bit. I changed a couple of the album art *.jpg files to cover.jpg. The cover art still does not show in the album list, but if I select the album from the list, the album art is visible, both on the Wiim Ultra screen and the ipad running the Wiim app.
Does it show in mconnect? It could be an app cache issue, which I'm not sure you can clear on iOS.

Also, the cover art that is/was originally available in the Wiim app is not named either 'cover' or 'folder' and does show up in the album listing as well as the while the album is selected or playing.
What was it called, and are you sure you don't have any tracks with embedded artwork?

Looks like some of the visible artwork is pulled from liner note pdf files. These appear to all be downloaded / purchased from HDTracks.

Back