Per Channel PEQ results

slartibartfast

Major Contributor
With per channel PEQ now available for the Amp I have it a try. Having a subwoofer probably complicates things but my only option seemed to be to measure Left speaker + sub followed by Right speaker + sub and generate PEQ filters separately in REW for each measurement. I was happy with the results and thought it was better than using a single measurement for both speakers.

Screenshot_20240804-191520.png

Screenshot_20240804-191532.png

With per channel PEQ now available for the Amp I have it a try. Having a subwoofer probably complicates things but my only option seemed to be to measure Left speaker + sub followed by Right speaker + sub and generate PEQ filters separately in REW for each measurement. I was happy with the results and thought it was better than using a single measurement for both speakers.

View attachment 9911

View attachment 9912
Does RC support independent left right channel?

Dear Wiim-team,

we all love to see starting the rollout of the left-right separated PEQs for our WiiMs. In the UI it seems that left and wright are illustrated and configured in separate screens. Would it be possible to
- view also the other channel manipulation in (the background of) the frequency chart for orientation?
- set in a filter selection "same as [the other channel] " to copy the corresponding PEQ parameter for that filter?

Thank you in advance.

Dear Wiim-team,

we all love to see starting the rollout of the left-right separated PEQs for our WiiMs. In the UI it seems that left and wright are illustrated and configured in separate screens. Would it be possible to
- view also the other channel manipulation in (the background of) the frequency chart for orientation?
- set in a filter selection "same as [the other channel] " to copy the corresponding PEQ parameter for that filter?

Thank you in advance.
If you save the left channel as a custom EQ then select the right channel you can choose the saved left channel EQ for the right channel.

If you save the left channel as a custom EQ then select the right channel you can choose the saved left channel EQ for the right channel.
I'm talking about each single PEG filter within a set of EQ, not the whole custom EQ set.
From my experience, not all PEQs are different, nor all PEQs are the same between left and right speakers.

I'm talking about each single PEG filter within a set of EQ, not the whole custom EQ set.
From my experience, not all PEQs are different, nor all PEQs are the same between left and right speakers.
You can copy them all then change the ones you want to change.

Two questions:
1. How does this work with the sub in the loop. Lets say my crossover is at 80Hz and I have a PK at 40Hz goin -10db on both left and right channels. Will the subwoofer get -10db or -20db at 40Hz?
2. I see you use a mix of PK and LS. Was this manual or is there and automatic REW mode that suggests both PK and LS - I could only find one that suggests PK.

Two questions:
1. How does this work with the sub in the loop. Lets say my crossover is at 80Hz and I have a PK at 40Hz goin -10db on both left and right channels. Will the subwoofer get -10db or -20db at 40Hz?
2. I see you use a mix of PK and LS. Was this manual or is there and automatic REW mode that suggests both PK and LS - I could only find one that suggests PK.
For question 2 I had REW EQ set to Generic with Allow low and high shelf ticked. Regarding question 1, I have no idea. I suppose left and right signals before mixing to mono are both reduced by 10dB and after mixing the result is also 10dB down.

I am still not convinced that I measured the response correctly. I measured Left + sub and Right + sub playing pink noise. After correction when I measure the response of both speakers + sub I have a peak below the sub crossover frequency even though each speaker is fairly flat. The image below shows the uncorrected left and right responses with the corrected response of both speakers and sub. The peak is obvious. What is going on?

LRPEQ.jpg

What if you divide the amplitude of peq changes below the crossover for each channel by two?

What if you divide the amplitude of peq changes below the crossover for each channel by two?
I also feel that a cleaner solution would be having a dedicated PEQ for subwoofer offered explicitly by wiim devices.

Judging by the lack of posts I guess nobody knows why a flattish response for (Left+sub) and (Right+sub) produces a peak below the crossover frequency when all speakers are playing. I am not surprised as I am stumped.
I have the sub set to +5dB in the WiiM amp settings to avoid needing any boost at subwoofer frequencies. When I measure all speakers together without any EQ that boost is clearly seen in the frequency response. As seen in the curves above I don't see that boost when measuring (Left+sub) or Right+sub).
Any theory however daft is welcomed 😀.

Now for the silly question.😁

Were the measurements taken at one location (listening position)?

• In the center of the room (between the speakers and you)
  • Near the speakers

Do you get similar results when measurements are taken at these locations?

*I don't have PEQ per channel yet, so I can't test anything.

Now for the silly question.😁

Were the measurements taken at one location (listening position)?

• In the center of the room (between the speakers and you)
  • Near the speakers

Do you get similar results when measurements are taken at these locations?

*I don't have PEQ per channel yet, so I can't test anything.
I was moving the microphone while averaging the response with the Real Time Analyser. All measurements taken around 2m from the plane of the speakers.

I was moving the microphone while averaging the response with the Real Time Analyser. All measurements taken around 2m from the plane of the speakers.
If you use a sweep tone and measure at each of the three locations mentioned above, can you find where the 70hz peak disappears?
(Probably not, but...)

Back