Phono Ouput still Low WITH +36db Preamp on Line Input

Part of the problem with using line level input devices with a phono preamp is that there aren't any standards for the output level of the cartridges. Between MC and MM and high output and low output, there's too much variety to have a standard. It seems like finding a good combination may take some investigation and being able to demo a pre before committing. Looking for optimal playback quality with vinyl has never really been plug and play. Using a line level input device with gain cranked to max is likely to create more distortion than desired.
Thats why better phono amps have lots of possible settings. There is no one fits all. Even with mm only. Should eventually. But is not. ;-)

I just set up the WiiM amp and everything is working and sounding great, with the exception of the volume of vinyl playback via the RCA line in being dramatically lower than other sources, as others have posted. The sound quality is fine, but even at 100% volume it’s only moderately loud. The WiiM Amp replaced a 30 year old JVC receiver that played *very* loud with the same vinyl gear and speakers.

My setup is Audio Technica AT-VM95E MM cartdge > +40db Darlington Labs MM-5 phono preamp > WiiM Amp > 89db Paradigm Studio Reference 20 speakers.

Last edited:
The WiiM Amp has a line in, not a phono in like your amp probably had which would have had a preamp circuit to boost the phono input and apply RIAA equalisation. You really need an external phono pre-amp for your turntable to feed the WiiM Amp.

He
The WiiM Amp has a line in, not a phono in like your amp probably had which would have had a preamp circuit to boost the phono input and apply RIAA equalisation. You really need an external phono pre-amp for your turntable to feed the WiiM Amp.
He wrote that he uses a Darlington Labs Pre amp and that should work.

"My setup is Audio Technica AT-VM95E MM cartdge > +40db Darlington Labs MM-5 phono preamp > WiiM Amp > 89db Paradigm Studio Reference 20 speakers."

My setup is Audio Technica AT-VM95E MM cartdge > +40db Darlington Labs MM-5 phono preamp > WiiM Amp > 89db Paradigm Studio Reference 20 speakers.
As @Fender stated, this setup really should work. It's an absolutely reasonable use case.

Unfortunately, there is no binding standard for analog RCA connections. Modern sources might put out maximum values way in excess of 2 V. Because the analog input is digitized immediately, this input must not be overdriven, no matter what.

Typical phono pre-amps are not necessarily designed with this kind of input in mind. I think that WiiM should allow some digital gain on the analog Input. This would lead to a reduced signal to noise ratio but I don't expect this to be a real problem with records, as there should be plenty of headroom.

This dives into the territory of per-imput sensitivity (yes, please) vs. per-source volume control (not that useful or intuitive).

Last edited:
As @Fender stated, this setup really should work. It's an absolutely reasonable use case.

Unfortunately, there is no binding standard for analog RCA connections. Modern sources might put out maximum values way in excess of 2 V. Because the analog input is digitized immediately, this input must not be overdriven, no matter what.

Typical phono pre-amps are not necessarily designed with this kind of input in mind. I think that WiiM should allow some digital gain on the analog Input. This would lead to a reduced signal to noise ratio but I don't expect this to be a real problem with records, as there should be plenty of headroom.

This drives into the territory of per-imput sensitivity (yes, please) vs. per-source volume control (not that useful or intuitive).
Assuming your suggestion of an increased gain option for the RCA audio in is something that could be provided in a firmware update, that would be awesome.

Assuming your suggestion of an increased gain option for the RCA audio in is something that could be provided in a firmware update, that would be awesome.
Accompanied by an app update to expose the user interface, yes.

You might try a Douk line level booster. About $40 on Amazon.

Back