Room correction

So there is no manipulation within the time domain but only in the frequency domain? That's no "Room Correction" then, but auto EQ. Would be nice, though, if one could preset certain values for the auto EQ. Like, I have hearing loss starting at 4K, which means, that a flat curve is not what I want. It would need to compensate.

What kind of preset? What level? What criteria? For what?
Just measure it… works great!

Hi jheflin10, Team

We plan to release it for Beta testing by the end of July. If you're interested, you can join the Beta program for early access. Thank you for your assistance and patience.
Hello Wiim.. How do i apply for the beta program to test the Android App with RC ?

Hi jheflin10, Team

We plan to release it for Beta testing by the end of July. If you're interested, you can join the Beta program for early access. Thank you for your assistance and patience.
How do I join the beta testing?
My wife has the iPhone 14 so am able to access RC with her phone so I have tried it out some. Thanks

Has anyone compared iphone/ipad inaccuracy to calibrated mic? Would be interesting seeing a few samples, compared to umik1

What's the point of room correction if the mic is inaccurate, poor accuracy across the range, etc.

Has anyone compared iphone/ipad inaccuracy to calibrated mic? Would be interesting seeing a few samples, compared to umik1

What's the point of room correction if the mic is inaccurate, poor accuracy across the range, etc.
You’re not obliged to use it but some have found it beneficial, external calibrated mics or not. However I believe the characteristics of iPhone and iPad mics are generally understood so perhaps that’s already taken into consideration.

Iphone mic isn‘t poor at all. Mentioned in other threads that e.g. it is partly certified by swiss local authorities to do environmental sound measurements for legal purposes…

So when your listening position has poor cancelled out bass room correction will make your speakers bounce of their stands in an effort to correct it?

ThiSo there is no manipulation within the time domain but only in the frequency domain? That's no "Room Correction" then, but auto EQ. Would be nice, though, if one could preset certain values for the auto EQ. Like, I have hearing loss starting at 4K, which means, that a flat curve is not what I want. It would need to compensate.
What's your definition of room correction, then? We have a two channel setup here, where the left and right speaker are usually placed equidistant in the MLP. The only thing that might need adjustment in the time domain is the subwoofer.

WiiM do not attempt to set that delay automatically, but you can adjust it manually . They are in good company keeping it like thata. It's e.g. the same with $$$$ stereo amplifiers sold by Lyngdorf.

If the speaker has time domain issues, one might try to solve this using DSP, but it could hardly be called room correction then.

This is the same issue for all products and has been discussed over and over again. We don't need absolute calibration, but we do need a calibration for linear response, yes.

"If you only see something through rose-coloured glasses, the red warning lights look like normal lights."

"If you only see something through rose-coloured glasses, the red warning lights look like normal lights."
“Looking a gift horse in the mouth” has sprung to mind on several occasions in the forum when free upgrades to very modestly priced streamers like the Pro and Plus are criticised and negatively compared to software costing three or four figure sums. But I guess that’s human nature :(

“Looking a gift horse in the mouth” has sprung to mind on several occasions in the forum when free upgrades to very modestly priced streamers like the Pro and Plus are criticised and negatively compared to software costing three or four figure sums. But I guess that’s human nature :(
You are right, of course and you know about my early love for the WiiMs. But permanently repeated view: cheap = good, a bit more expensive = not so good, expensive = bad and very expensive = the devil is in my opinion a bit too narrow 😉

My understanding is that iPhone mics have a quite consistent frequency response, generally speaking.
This allows a quite consistent calibration in the apps that use them: this is the case in HouseCurve and the WiiM Home app, for example.
On the other side, mics that have an individual calibration file, such as umik1, need a way to upload their calibration file to the apps that use them: this is indeed the case for HouseCurve, but unfortunately not for the WiiM Home app, at least at the moment.
So, IMHO, comparing today the results of RC in the WiiM Home app between iPhone mics (for which the app is calibrated) and umik1 (for which it is not) is moot, until the upload of individual calibration files will be possible.
Just my humble, and probably wrong, opinion...

My understanding is that iPhone mics have a quite consistent frequency response, generally speaking.
This allows a quite consistent calibration in the apps that use them: this is the case in HouseCurve and the WiiM Home app, for example.
On the other side, mics that have an individual calibration file, such as umik1, need a way to upload their calibration file to the apps that use them: this is indeed the case for HouseCurve, but unfortunately not for the WiiM Home app, at least at the moment.
So, IMHO, comparing today the results of RC in the WiiM Home app between iPhone mics (for which the app is calibrated) and umik1 (for which it is not) is moot, until the upload of individual calibration files will be possible.
Just my humble, and probably wrong, opinion...

You could compare REW UMIk response, to the Wiim app response, overlay the two/ rescale to fit, and see how far the Wiim results are.

You could compare REW UMIk response, to the Wiim app response, overlay the two/ rescale to fit, and see how far the Wiim results are.
At the moment, you cannot obtain or save the Wiim app response, but only briefly see it just after applying RC.

Back