The European wait for the WiiM Ultra

I said it before and I'll repeat it again: Wrong chip? Doesn't fit what WiiM Team and WiiM Support already told us about the situation ("lacking the MFi chip") and the few things Apple tell us about hot MFi certification works.
Yes the "wrong chip" part is clearly a misunderstanding either by the guy from the comment or the store itself.

Last edited:
I said it before and I'll repeat it again: Wrong chip? Doesn't fit what WiiM Team and WiiM Support already told us about the situation ("lacking the MFi chip") and the few things Apple tell us about hot MFi certification works.
Auditorium is saying the more or less the same thing like the guy on YT... that it might come with later batches.

Anyways, I cancelled my order to go with the silver version later. Seems like it's going to take a little longer to arrive in stock at most EU stores. Might as well wait a little longer until there's more news.Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 14.16.54.png

My guess is the Airplay chip is present, but not certified so cannot be activated yet via software update and WiiM couldn't moss their commercial release deadline waiting for it to come through.

When is somebody going to open one of these up to check 😄

Mine arrived yesterday and I picked it up today...

My guess is the Airplay chip is present, but not certified so cannot be activated yet via software update and WiiM couldn't moss their commercial release deadline waiting for it to come through.

When is somebody going to open one of these up to check 😄
That's what they initially reported even before the release - that it was still going through certification and it was a software thing. Last week though, it was announced that the first batches are actually missing the MFi chip and can't be updated to support it later.

The Ultra has already been opened by an Italian review channel on Youtube and there is in fact one unpopulated spot for an IC in the digital section on the mainboard, close to the LinkPlay streaming module.

As a quick workaround I could probably connect up my old Macbook Pro or Apple TV to the Ultra and airplay through that if I ever wanted to, I guess.

I also received a e-mail from Auditorium.de about this Airplay thing/problem. They asked me if i still want the Ultra or look together for another solution. What the ... I don't want another solution. What's the deal?

The chip in question is for certification purposes only. It's not required to technically enable AirPlay. It's the same thing as with certified cables.

In the past Apple did support either the use of the MFi chip or certifying a piece of software. This is obvious from Apples own forums dealing with MFi certification. It might be that they just changed their policy, but I don't feel like spending $99 a year to participate in the MFi program just to get the information I would never need because I don't intend to come up with a certified device myself.

The chip in question is for certification purposes only. It's not required to technically enable AirPlay. It's the same thing as with certified cables.

In the past Apple did support either the use of the MFi chip or certifying a piece of software. This is obvious from Apples own forums dealing with MFi certification. It might be that they just changed their policy, but I don't feel like spending $99 a year to participate in the MFi program just to get the information I would never need because I don't intend to come up with a certified device myself.
The specs on the Wiim website say this: Airplay 2 - (instead of Y). So that means it wasn't meant to support Airplay (2) anyhow.
That is a shame but i'll take the Ultra anyway :);)

Auditorium is saying the more or less the same thing like the guy on YT... that it might come with later batches.

Anyways, I cancelled my order to go with the silver version later. Seems like it's going to take a little longer to arrive in stock at most EU stores. Might as well wait a little longer until there's more news.
-- snip image ---

My Silver Ultra ordered at amazon.nl was set to arrive next week Thursday. Today I got a mail it should arrive tomorrow.

I expect quite an upset if Wiim is to launch an Ultra version with Airplay support for the same price as the current offering in a few weeks time.

Got mine today in sweden. So far so good.

Playback screen settings always resets. Any fix on this?

Got mine today in sweden. So far so good.

Playback screen settings always resets. Any fix on this?
Can you elaborate some more?

There are three different options for the playback screen, a cover-art-only screen, a detailed now-playing-screen and a VU meter. You can pick one of them through the WiiM Home App. The Ultra will always revert to that screen after a couple of seconds (or go into standby when no music is played after the configured period of time.

Are you saying that the selection you make in the WiiM Home App is not applied?

Can you elaborate some more?

There are three different options for the playback screen, a cover-art-only screen, a detailed now-playing-screen and a VU meter. You can pick one of them through the WiiM Home App. The Ultra will always revert to that screen after a couple of seconds (or go into standby when no music is played after the configured period of time.

Are you saying that the selection you make in the WiiM Home App is not applied?
I know. Im picking the art there the picture is big. Second one. When i switch input and go back to wifi, im back to the first artwork.

This is regardless if i set it in the app or on the wiim itself.

This is regardless if i set it in the app or on the wiim itself.
You cannot set it on the WiiM itself. There must be some kind of misunderstanding. The configuration is in the WiiM Home App, only.

You cannot set it on the WiiM itself. There must be some kind of misunderstanding. The configuration is in the WiiM Home App, only.
Okey. I have set it in the app. It keeps switching to number one.

Like now. Its set on nr2 in the app, but its nr1 on the wiim.

Okey. I have set it in the app. It keeps switching to number one.

Like now. Its set on nr2 in the app, but its nr1 on the wiim.
Maybe I misunderstood.

Can you post screenshots of the screen settings in the WiiM Home App on your smartphone and photos of what you see on the touchscreen?

Back