Ultra room correction results

There’s no rush.

There 99 things for to me set up, test and check when I receive mine, and the BK sub’s crossover ain’t one.

Well, at least it can wait a short while.
What curve you think you will be using? Flat is my favorite.

Hi Team,

Sorry for the confusion; the implementation differs between iOS and Android Beta versions. Our team will provide options in the next update, allowing you to choose whether to enable room correction (RC) for your subwoofer. By default, RC will be enabled for the subwoofer, but you will have the option to disable it if desired.
That's truly great news! :D

Hi Team,

Sorry for the confusion; the implementation differs between iOS and Android Beta versions. Our team will provide options in the next update, allowing you to choose whether to enable room correction (RC) for your subwoofer. By default, RC will be enabled for the subwoofer, but you will have the option to disable it if desired.

Absolutely smashing.

Many thanks, great support.

Are you going to use your external dac? I thought you mention you have topping.

It’s very complicated. :ROFLMAO:

I currently have a Mini, going into Topping EX5 DAC/headphone amp.

My current working presumption, based on the measurements I’ve seen, previous WiiM’s, etc., is that both the Ultra and EX5 will sound identical. However, I’ll be testing.

I have a Topping PA5ii amp with both balanced and RCA inputs. I’ve already checked those against the balanced and RCA outputs on the EX5, and there’s no difference.

I’ll be checking (amongst other things) the stereo RCA outs from the Ultra (sub out turned off) against digital into EX5, then balanced out to PA5 (volume matching, obviously).

I’m also hoping to have a higher-end DAC for the same purposes.

Speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s, which are flat from 15kHz down to c.80Hz apart from a 2-3dB dip between 1kHz and 3kHz; I’ll be listening both with and without the ‘dip’ corrected by EQ.

I’ll also check headphone out on the Ultra vs headphone out from the EX5. Phones will be Sennheiser HD600s, EQ’d to Harman.

But it’ll take a while. I need to reconfigure my whole desktop, which will take a while, tidy up the wiring, etc. Then, as I’m doing listening tests, I need a bit of time and space. I’m just in my way back from holiday (stood in Manchester Piccadilly as I write), and there’ll be both post-holiday, and pre Monday (back to work) stuff to do.

Oh, and as well as the Ultra we get a new dog tomorrow.

🤦‍♂️

But I’ll try to post at least something preliminary as soon as I can.

Last edited:
It’s very complicated. :ROFLMAO:

I currently have a Mini, going into Topping EX5 DAC/headphone amp.

My current working presumption, based on the measurements I’ve seen, previous WiiM’s, etc., is that both the Ultra and EX5 will sound identical. However, I’ll be testing.

I have a Topping PA5ii amp with both balanced and RCA inputs. I’ve already checked those against the balanced and RCA outputs on the EX5, and there’s no difference.

I’ll be checking (amongst other things) the stereo RCA outs from the Ultra (sub out turned off) against digital into EX5, then balanced out to PA5 (volume matching, obviously).

I’m also hoping to have a higher-end DAC for the same purposes.

I’ll also check headphone out on the Ultra vs headphone out from the EX5. Phones will be Sennheiser HD600s, EQ’d to Harman.

But it’ll take a while. I need to reconfigure my whole desktop, which will take a while, tidy up the wiring, etc. Then, as I’m doing listening tests, I need a bit of time and space. I’m just in my way back from holiday (stood in Manchester Piccadilly as I write), and there’ll be both post-holiday, and pre Monday (back to work) stuff to do.

But I’ll try to post at least something preliminary as soon as I can.
Prior to ultra, I had my setup pro.>>dac>>mono block amp>>speaker. I was using dac as preamp. The preamp on dac despite I’m using 450 watt mono block it wasn’t loud in fact I was nearing close to zero. With ultra, just few click volume get so loud that wildlife outside the perimeter would run. It has high voltage out.

....With ultra, just few click volume get so loud that wildlife outside the perimeter would run. It has high voltage out.
I have the same issue, except the wildlife outside here is the two legged variety :oops:

When I retire, I plan to get a house with perimeter space :sneaky:

I have the same issue, except the wildlife outside here is the two legged variety :oops:

When I retire, I plan to get a house with perimeter space :sneaky:
I just lower the line level voltage now it’s all good now.

Can I use external mic attached to iPad instead iPad built in mic and use wiim home room correction?

Glad to hear the room correction feature is working well for you! Sony SSCS5s are a solid choice for temporary speakers. I’m curious—how did the room correction impact the overall sound quality compared to before?
The sound is more detailed after RC. My listening space is a funky shaped living room, so it really helps. I'm waiting for their next Ultra SW update as they'll extend RC to the subwoofer as well. I'll run RC with the sub and the Sonys again, and then I'll swap out the Sonys for the Swan speakers and rerun RC. The RC tamed the excessive top end the Sonys are known for, and the sub fills in the bass they can't produce, with those issues at bay, they're really enjoyable.

I really like the Sony SSCS5s, for the money, you can't beat them. I going to do the Neil Blanchard crossover replacement and cabinet mods on the Sonys this winter. I already have the crossover components from his plans, just need the kiddo back in school for some extra hobby project time :) I like these speakers well enough that I picked up an "open box" pair on Amazon for $88 delivered. For $88, I couldn't resist, and they didn't send an open box, they sent a brand new factory sealed pair that still had the customs paperwork from Japan on the outside of the box, can't beat that! This way I'll have one pair that's not modified so I can do an AB comparison with a Fosi speaker/amp switcher to evaluate the upgraded speakers.

I really like the Sony SSCS5s, for the money, you can't beat them. I going to do the Neil Blanchard crossover replacement and cabinet mods on the Sonys this winter.
That sounds like fun!

I like these speakers well enough that I picked up an "open box" pair on Amazon for $88 delivered. For $88, I couldn't resist, and they didn't send an open box, they sent a brand new factory sealed pair that still had the customs paperwork from Japan on the outside of the box, can't beat that!
Can't go wrong with that kind of offer.

Theres actually a very important point wiim left out in the guide. There a feature. in the iphone for the “mic mode” (accessible in the control center while speaker on, on a call). Theres 3 settings. Voice isolation, normal and wide spectrum.

Since release the wiim room correction didn’t work for me. Collapsed everything into speaker sound like a small Bluetooth speaker. it was because I had voice isolation on the mic mode (because I prefer it on phone calls filters out the background noise.) Once I turn to normal everything in room correction started working. I wonder if wide spectrum would yield better results even or same problems

My experience with room correction so far is it's definitely clearer with less muddle in the mids. However, the soundstage becomes narrower in both depth and height.

Back