Ultra room correction results

yes...but not "subs"..takes charge of the main harmonics of the bass fundamentals..and becomes clearly locable well before and impact the timbre...
etc
not easy..even if considerably lighter the efforts of the speakers...
;-)
(my point is just a warning ;-) )

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to be crossing over a sub to 200hz, no way. For music system I would say 80hz is limit.

Personally I'd look into replacing the LS50

I wouldn't want to be crossing over a sub to 200hz, no way. For music system I would say 80hz is limit.

Personally I'd look into replacing the LS50
He has two subs placed next to the main speakers. If the subs handle 200Hz what is the problem?

Sorry, I’m a bit confused.

If I use all 3 RCA outs (L, R and Sub), with a sub crossover at say 80Hz, does room correction work all the way down to 20Hz on the sub, or does it only work on the main L&R RCAs?

Cheers.

He has two subs placed next to the main speakers. If the subs handle 200Hz what is the problem?

May find they have a massive roll off at such frequencies, even if he's maxed out/disabled the crossover in the sub. One way to find out do REW sweep 10hz-300hz to sub and see how it is upto 200hz. Do a speaker sweep, then do sub + speaker response.

Can tell what's happening, how well the sub plays up to, how well the speakers play down to, and delay/phase interactions between the two. Determine what's the best setting for the sub- no point setting to 200hz if it's 12db down etc.

Where do you place yours? Mine is sitting on the marble fireplace between the main speakers but nearer the right one. Also mounted on sorbothane hemispherical feet.

My main speakers are just either side of my 1m wide desk, in a 3m wide room.

The sub sits against the front wall, about half way between the left wall and left speaker.

It will probably be moved when I start checking out placement, etc., more accurately.

ok here's a SB sub, and tbh seems ok to 200hz so maybe it might work, I've never paid attention to a subs response so high up.

If the subs weren't producing up to 200Hz the main speakers would be. It won't be anymore localised than the mains.

They cannot be perceived as one body if they are crossed so high. Directivity increases with frequency increase. The wavelength at 200hz is 1.7m and our ears can detect both amplitude and phase differences . Also, due to the steepness of the crossover slope, Subs will also play less loudly but they will play frequencies above 200hz. They cannot be in absolute phase and absolute amplitude match with the mains . A speaker is designed so its drivers produce coherent sound that is time aligned sound . That is not a guarantee with the subs especially crossing so high. Even Dirac will not be able to fully correct it

Last edited:
They cannot be perceived as one body if they are crossed so high. Directivity increases with frequency increase. The wavelength at 200hz is 1.7m and our ears can detect both amplitude and phase differences . Also, due to the steepness of the crossover slope, Subs will also play less loudly but they will play frequencies above 200hz. They cannot be in absolute phase and absolute amplitude match with the mains . A speaker is designed so its drivers produce coherent sound that is time aligned sound . That is not a guarantee with the subs especially crossing so high. Even Dirac will not be able to fully correct it
Integrating one subwoofer with two stereo main speakers are impossible if the sound quality demands are high, but it can be done with two subs in stereo .

Its true one cant hear location of the sub below 150 Hz if you are in an anechoic chamber and if the distortion from the driver are very low and the crossover slope is greater than 48 dB/oct.

Unfortunately , normally, we dont live in such a room and the driver will always distort and show the location .

My own experiment results on this ( have tested one, two, three or four subs in 4000 dollar region with different dsp crossover slopes both in mono and stereo ) is that two stereo subwoofers placed very near or below the main speakers are always prefered .

If those stereo subwoofers are placed on the floor ( very bad because you will exite more room modes ) the crossover must be set below 80 Hz 24 dB/oct .

Much better sound from stereo subwoofers can be had if you have them on stands 50 cm above the floor .

Last edited:
May I just re-ask this question?

If I use all 3 RCA outs (L, R and Sub), with a sub crossover at say 80Hz, does room correction work all the way down to 20Hz on the sub, or does it only work on the main L&R RCAs?

Cheers.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Beuller?

Anyone?

I am surprised the BKs go that high. Their internal crossover range is 40-120Hz.
They do have an LFE input and go much higher without the crossover, like >250 Hz. Still didn't sound so good when crossed any higher than 150 Hz.

mounted so high requires two subs, not really subs anymore, and a lot of phase position efforts etc etc ... we are no longer in a 2+1 at 60-70hz on a pair of libraries etc
Yes.

And I absolutely disagree, based not on any theoretical Hi-Fi purist folklore but based on measurements and listening experience.

They are localized in space. That is not desirable. 60hz is kind of safe if you don't want to localize the position of a sub.
Why would you argue with me unless you had a pair of LS50 Meta, a pair of Lyngdorf BW-2 and a Lyngdorf TDAI-1020 and tried out my setup? Sorry, but this is the kind of Internet chatter that leads to nothing but confusion and false assumptions. What makes you think you know it better than me from the comfort of your sofa? :)

My own experiment results on this ( have tested one, two, three or four subs in 4000 dollar region with different dsp crossover slopes both in mono and stereo ) is that two stereo subwoofers placed very near or below the main speakers are always prefered .

If those stereo subwoofers are placed on the floor ( very bad because you will exite more room modes ) the crossover must be set below 80 Hz 24 dB/oct .

Much better sound from stereo subwoofers can be had if you have them on stands 50 cm above the floor .
Totally contradicts my own experiments, but maybe my subs are just too cheap to reveal these problems. :)

Lyngdorf boundary subwoofers are designed to be placed in room corners ideally (and this actually helps with room modes, it doesn't make them worse).

This is currently on debate in this forum. :D

WiiM says it doesn't. Some users - including @slartibartfast - say it does. The best theory so far for my taste is that the official iOS version of WiiM Home does not, but the current beta version for Android does. I don't have to the time to test this (on Android) since I have to argue about crossover frequencies with the Internet people.

Last edited:
There’s no rush.

There 99 things for to me set up, test and check when I receive mine, and the BK sub’s crossover ain’t one.

Well, at least it can wait a short while.

Hi Team,

Sorry for the confusion; the implementation differs between iOS and Android Beta versions. Our team will provide options in the next update, allowing you to choose whether to enable room correction (RC) for your subwoofer. By default, RC will be enabled for the subwoofer, but you will have the option to disable it if desired.

Back