Cannot access USB audio library

Update: In the process of formatting a new target drive as NTFS and copying files over from the old FAT32 drive, I encountered a wiim_cache folder. Inside is a .db file and an art_cache folder. (Filenames are from my recollection and may not be literal).

It appears that I maybe did not wait long enough. In my defense, though, there was zero indication on the WiiM Ultra display or on the phone app that anything at all was happening.

In any case, I'm still copying files to the NTFS file system and that will take a while so it will be some time before I can try the new NTFS thumb drive. I am removing the wiim_cache folder in order to let it generate this anew. I intend to just wait a day before I declare failure this time.

Thanks for all your help!
code

It appears that I maybe did not wait long enough. In my defense, though, there was zero indication on the WiiM Ultra display or on the phone app that anything at all was happening.
There should be a status page that displays the progress:

http://<WiiM IP>:8200/

If the Ultra does not support FAT32 then that is an issue. I have four Western Digital USB hard drives (2TB and 5TB) with quite a number of ripped SACDs (DSF). To reformat the drives would be a major PITA. I don't understand why a common format like FAT32 is not supported by WiiM.
I think the documentation may be wrong. The OP eventually found that his FAT32 disk had indexed I believe.

That is correct. Clearly it can read & write FAT32 or it would not have been able to create the wiim_cache folder with its contents.

My NTFS test had no additional results so far. The thumb drive has been installed since last night and there is no obvious method to access files on it.

I’m waiting to check for the wiim_cache folder on it because I don’t want to disturb it if is somehow still working.

To recap: this is my first WiiM product. I’m unable to get a thumb drive (not hard drive) of music to show up anywhere on a screen or app in order to play it. I’ve tried FAT32 and am now trying NTFS. There was evidence on the FAT32 filesystem that the ultra saw it and indexed it. Haven’t looked on the NTFS drive yet. The two options given to me to access it don’t show anything and the web server port number given to me do not work.

The two options given to me to access it don’t show anything and the web server port number given to me do not work.
That's strange because it worked with the Amp and it's the port the UPnP server uses. Maybe that means it's not running?

I have not receive my WiiM Ultra yet. On the Crutchfield site it mentions a future firmware update being needed in order to listen to music from an external drive via usb. I posted the question here and someone responded that they presumed the usb drive would work right away since it works on the WiiM Amp. Would someone from WiiM be able to tell us if a firmware update is needed for this functionality?

I have not receive my WiiM Ultra yet. On the Crutchfield site it mentions a future firmware update being needed in order to listen to music from an external drive via usb. I posted the question here and someone responded that they presumed the usb drive would work right away since it works on the WiiM Amp. Would someone from WiiM be able to tell us if a firmware update is needed for this functionality?
I have submitted a trouble ticket. I find it strange that there are very few people talking about this issue. Maybe the Ultra is too new? Other than this issue, I love the device so far!

Any recommendations on what type of USB device to use for files? I just re-ripped all of my CD's to FLAC in anticipation of the Wiim Ultra coming out and will be purchasing either a high-capacity USB stick or SSD drive in the 1-2TB capacity.

Thanks.

Any recommendations on what type of USB device to use for files? I just re-ripped all of my CD's to FLAC in anticipation of the Wiim Ultra coming out and will be purchasing either a high-capacity USB stick or SSD drive in the 1-2TB capacity.

Thanks.
I have a 4tb WD Elements drive connected to an $80 Roku Ultra. Works fine for MKV movies and FLAC.

These drives sense USB 2.0 vs 3.0. They adjust their power requirement accordingly.

Thanks.
I'd advise against using a USB stick altogether for a number of reasons.

1. MiniDLNA isn't very good.
2. New Music. Difficulty getting new music onto stick will mean unplugging from WiiM and presumably plugging in to PC/Mac. Repeated removal/insertion increases risk of data corruption.
3. Backup. Same as 2.

IMHO a NAS of some description with a decent DLNA/UPnP server or Roon, Plex, LMS is a better option by far

NB.
A lot of people in the LMS world run LMS on a Raspberry Pi with an attached USB drive. In this case the files on the USB are exposed via SSH and Samba to other devices on the network making adding, removing music and backup simple. This just isn't (yet?) possible with a USB stuck into a WiiM.

Crutchfield site is wrong - I guess they were confusing that with USB Audio out which is in beta for both the Amp and Ultra, although we’re still waiting on the Ultra beta firmware. However, it’s been able to read a USB drive since I got my test unit at the start of June.

Crutchfield site is wrong - I guess they were confusing that with USB Audio out which is in beta for both the Amp and Ultra, although we’re still waiting on the Ultra beta firmware. However, it’s been able to read a USB drive since I got my test unit at the start of June.

When you say "it's been able to read..." are you referring to the Ultra? How do you access the music on the USB drive from the app or from the front panel, please?

Yeah. The Ultra straight out of the box is able to read the contents of and play tracks from a connected USB memory stick/drive. What it can’t do yet since we’re awaiting its beta is to send audio out over that USB connection. The Amp has the beta firmware to allow it to do both at the same time using an external usb hub.

When you say "it's been able to read..." are you referring to the Ultra? How do you access the music on the USB drive from the app or from the front panel, please?
You access the USB drive contents from the WiiM Home app under Home Music Share, or its entry in the list of inputs.

I'd advise against using a USB stick altogether for a number of reasons.

1. MiniDLNA isn't very good.
2. New Music. Difficulty getting new music onto stick will mean unplugging from WiiM and presumably plugging in to PC/Mac. Repeated removal/insertion increases risk of data corruption.
3. Backup. Same as 2.

IMHO a NAS of some description with a decent DLNA/UPnP server or Roon, Plex, LMS is a better option by far

NB.
A lot of people in the LMS world run LMS on a Raspberry Pi with an attached USB drive. In this case the files on the USB are exposed via SSH and Samba to other devices on the network making adding, removing music and backup simple. This just isn't (yet?) possible with a USB stuck into a WiiM.
Thanks. I have a NAS as well with the music on it, but mainly for backup. I was looking to simplify the environment with a directly attached USB device.

Back