WiiM Amp Pro

I may be retracting my earlier decision on buying the Amp Pro instead of the Ultra.

Having looked again at my budget, the saving isn’t as important (though obviously always welcome). Meanwhile, notwithstanding the points I made, and while Ultra + an amp might not be better, at least you don’t have all your eggs in one basket, and the two box solution does offer more flexibility.

Amp Pro first, then Ultra later in is also still a possibility.
It's fun to listen to your soliloquy here.😂🤗

I'll get the Ultra if it can match the Volumio Rivo SQ wise because that would be a no-brainer

I believe it is going to be called WIIM AMP Pro Plus, so they are reserverving the ULTRA for yet another model (two TPA3255 chips in dual mono to drive big speakers. Just a suggestion.....)

I've decided to wait until the Wiim Amp Pro Plus Ultra Platinum with optional mobile robot bar tender and foot massage.

I was one of the guys hoping that a wiim power amp would be the special/ secret announcement along side the ultras munich launch. figured a matching power amp in the same chassis as the ultra would be the ideal accompaniment at the show for the ultra.

Influenced by the recent v3 mono release id even started to get carried away day dreaming of the notion that my wiim power amp could have a mono toggle and i could sit one either side of my ultra!...i can dream!

If im honest, a mildly updated wiim amp was a tad underwhelming for me !

Moving forward, given wiims agressive pricing structure. I wonder how far they can take the wiim amp range. Surely there is only so much you can deliver (and can physically squeeze into the sort of foot prints wiim like to work with!) With the cash and product size numbers they seem to like to stick to? Given the above - i find my self wondering how much more an Amp pro plus and then Amp ultra can be. In order to keep the unit prices and form factors to the tolerances wiim seems to like to work to - it feels like a ceiling might be reached quite quickly with the amp product line?

If the ultra is everything we hope it will be , maybe it levels up to a point where its worthy of the next step up in Class D amplification. Could a hypex based amp ultra be brought in within the budgets wiim like to work to? ...probably not

Could this be where a wiim power amp range could work ?

If im honest, a mildly updated wiim amp was a tad underwhelming for me !
Give 'em a break though...the WiiM Amp has only been in-market for around 6 months. It's amazing that they've done updates so soon, and good ones to boot. Considering this rate of change there will be more, great products in the pipe I'm sure. I also, would have liked to see a monoblock poweramp, maybe it will come soon.

The WiiM Amp is a great device for a second system, or someone who wants to listen to music in better quality than other similarly priced options affords, without having to navigate the labyrinth of bad advise that is starting out in hifi.

I think it's to be applauded as an effort to make hifi attractive to the masses again.

Could this be where a wiim power amp range could work ?
WIIM/Linkplay will never make just a poweramp. All products they make have streaming functionality, that is wat Linkplay is. There is a whole universe of amplification out there. You do not need to rely on WIIM to make it for you.

Give 'em a break though...the WiiM Amp has only been in-market for around 6 months. It's amazing that they've done updates so soon, and good ones to boot. Considering this rate of change there will be more, great products in the pipe I'm sure. I also, would have liked to see a monoblock poweramp, maybe it will come soon.
Yee me feeling this way is more on me than wiim. Like others have said...just because one dude wants something, doesnt mean it works for the masses and makes sense for the company.

I would submit the following about the 6 month refresh thing though -

This feels maybe like a knee jerk reaction to the 3* response the amp recieved in some quarters.

Yes there are lots of 5* opinions on it, but i cant help but feel wiim are now used to universal 5* praise and acceptance (what with how well received their streamers have consistently become). could the 3* reviews have stung enough that they quickly undated the amp, maybe sooner than they would otherwise have done? This kind of refresh rate has the potential to set a precedent though ? I can imagine a world where it could potentially has negative effects on sales of older lines (will standard amp sales remain strong in the wake of this announcement ? Or will people now wait for q3 amp pro release?) and devalue 'the product' ( why invest in amp pro in q3 when itll be old tech in 6 months time ?) .

Of course i may have this all wrong :) its simply the inital feelings i had that were born out of the surprise at their announcement along side the ultra.

The WiiM Amp is a great device for a second system, or someone who wants to listen to music in better quality than other similarly priced options affords, without having to navigate the labyrinth of bad advise that is starting out in hifi.

I think it's to be applauded as an effort to make hifi attractive to the masses again.
100% agree . And allows a way to perfectly bridge the gap from hi-fi to multi- room. I use wiim amps for all of my ceiling speakers in different rooms of the house and then pro plus triggered out into my hifi and hi end speakers. This way the family can easily and seamlessly group everything together. The alarm clock radio function has been a game changer for us aswell. Wake up to nice gentle tunes on the ceiling speakers...come down to breakfast and our favourite internet radio station is already playing on the hifi - living the dream! :)

WIIM/Linkplay will never make just a poweramp. All products they make have streaming functionality, that is wat Linkplay is. There is a whole universe of amplification out there. You do not need to rely on WIIM to make it for you.
Ok i didnt know that. Feels like a gap might open up between the streamer and amp ranges then ?

Yee me feeling this way is more on me than wiim. Like others have said...just because one dude wants something, doesnt mean it works for the masses and makes sense for the company.

I would submit the following about the 6 month refresh thing though -

This feels maybe like a knee jerk reaction to the 3* response the amp recieved in some quarters.

Yes there are lots of 5* opinions on it, but i cant help but feel wiim are now used to universal 5* praise and acceptance (what with how well received their streamers have consistently become). could the 3* reviews have stung enough that they quickly undated the amp, maybe sooner than they would otherwise have done? This kind of refresh rate has the potential to set a precedent though ? I can imagine a world where it could potentially has negative effects on sales of older lines (will standard amp sales remain strong in the wake of this announcement ? Or will people now wait for q3 amp pro release?) and devalue 'the product' ( why invest in amp pro in q3 when itll be old tech in 6 months time ?) .

Of course i may have this all wrong :) its simply the inital feelings i had that were born out of the surprise at their announcement along side the ultra.
Yup anyone considering the original amp will now just wait for the new model. If the new amp had been available now I would have sent my original back to Amazon. When they were messing about with PCB revisions to fix issues they could have just introduced this instead.

For me, the biggest problem, whether Wiim Amp Pro or Wiim Ultra, is the fact that they do not have a USB DAC and that you cannot connect a PC directly to them.

I really hope that the next version of Wiim Amp Pro (Wiim amp pro plus ;)) will have possibility to connect PC to it. More power would also be useful. The chip inside has much greater capabilities

For me, the biggest problem, whether Wiim Amp Pro or Wiim Ultra, is the fact that they do not have a USB DAC and that you cannot connect a PC directly to them.

I really hope that the next version of Wiim Amp Pro (Wiim amp pro plus ;)) will have possibility to connect PC to it. More power would also be useful. The chip inside has much greater capabilities
I think the windows app could offer a solution here. It could simply broadcast sound to the WiiM from pc. Like a sort of wireless sound card.

Back