WiiM Amp

The only Linn I've ever owned was my beloved and more than 25 years old LP12. Upgrades over the years only to bring it to the status a new bought Majik would have. Calculated over this long distance it was a bargain! Still working perfect with my son. To be honest I cried bitter tears, but it did not make sense any longer. My hands got too shaky over the years.
And a good while ago I really began to struggle with Linn's prices...
Yeah, agree re prices but they do have good support. I just always wanted to own a piece of their kit but was persuaded to go for a Dunlop Systemdek when I was on the verge of buying an LP12 with my redundancy money way back in ‘82. Maybe should have gone with the LP12…

This mentioned support at least in Germany sometimes was "too good" for me. The Linn partner in Düsseldorf f.e. was an, sorry, as...le. But to avoid long journeys or the pita of packing and sending one is kind of bound to a partner. Did good work but I prefer having good contact when spending my money. And with the move to the coast it would be even more complicated.
Things get easier because "my dealer" is a friend and does not has Linn in his portfolio 😉
But if you have a look at the re-sale market you still make smaller losses with Linn than with other premium products. It is still cult.

Hi Team,

I'd like to shed some light on the functionalities of the USB and Line-In ports on the WiiM Amp.

1. USB Port: This is designed for connecting USB storage devices. The WiiM Amp scans and indexes your music collection, acting as a constant home media server via DLNA. Note that it doesn't function as a USB audio output.

2. Line-In Port: This port is for linking up with your chosen audio source. It's not designed to act as a Line Out (or Pre-out) for connecting to another power amplifier.
Will there ever be usb audio output? I have kef x300a speakers so I need this functionality before buying a wiim device.

Yeah, agree re prices but they do have good support. I just always wanted to own a piece of their kit but was persuaded to go for a Dunlop Systemdek when I was on the verge of buying an LP12 with my redundancy money way back in ‘82. Maybe should have gone with the LP12…
I bought a Linn Axis with my first wage in ‘88 as I couldn’t quite stretch to an LP12. It came from a dealer in Clarkston which was probably the closest one to their factory at that time. It still works well considering it has moved around the world but in retrospect I too wish I had been less head and more heart and just bought the LP12.

Given this is using a TPA3255 - they could have potentially said it will support 300W of power like Fosi Audio and Aiyima claim on their TPA3255 - and provided different power supplies, but I imagine WiiM are being honest about the max power coming from the shipped device + power supply.

With a larger power supply you get more money from a TPA3255 chipset
e.g. this is Aiyima 'chart' of power supply options for their TPA3255 Amps:
View attachment 3046

So the 60W into 8Ohms probably means they are shipping with a 24V 5A power supply and then updated version might mainly be just a larger power supply, though possible they will be conservative with the power rating to keep the heat down and these Wiim devices have a daughter board with the LinkPlay smarts and keeping that board cool might be a priority.
Hi Jeromeof, Team

The WiiM Amp comes with a built-in power supply that accommodates 100-240V 50/60Hz AC power and supports up to a maximum current of 4A. Please note that we don't provide a separate power adapter. Thanks!

Hi Jeromeof, Team

The WiiM Amp comes with a built-in power supply that accommodates 100-240V 50/60Hz AC power and supports up to a maximum current of 4A. Please note that we don't provide a separate power adapter. Thanks!
Well, then I hope the built-in power supply is 48V ;).

Please send Amir from audiosciencereview.com a final production unit as soon as possible. I think, if it measures (and sounds) well, this product might become a bestseller for a lot of entry level audiophiles.

Please send Amir from audiosciencereview.com a final production unit as soon as possible. I think, if it measures (and sounds) well, this product might become a bestseller for a lot of entry level audiophiles.
There are a few ASR afficionados already in this group that have measured pre-production units to the standards expected on ASR - notably @onlyoneme and @VintageFlanker. I'd expect WiiM Amp detailed measurements here from at least one of them ;)

There are a few ASR afficionados already in this group that have measured pre-production units to the standards expected on ASR - notably @onlyoneme and @VintageFlanker. I'd expect WiiM Amp detailed measurements here from at least one of them ;)
I am absolutely with you and think it will be done by them!
But (as you might be expecting 😂) I have my problems with "afficionados" because this term is totally different occupied in my mind 😉

Measurements first before ear as every ear hear and translate differently. I do like both take for instance sml do200 measured among the best but for some folks it might be too polite and want a bit a of spice on sound.

Hi Yoku-san,

We're planning to distribute some production samples to members of our community soon. We anticipate receiving their measurement data soon. Preliminary feedback from selected external sources indicates that the sound quality has been positively received thus far. Thank you!

Amir, sadly, only tests via Roon, which is always slow to certify new devices. There are members here who are fully capable of thoroughly testing the new units.

Amir, sadly, only tests via Roon, which is always slow to certify new devices. There are members here who are fully capable of thoroughly testing the new units.
Amir doesn't only test via Roon, certainly not.
Measuring and testing power amplifiers is very different to hooking a DAC up to an ADC, and not all that many people have the expertise or equipment to properly test and measure power amps.

Amir doesn't only test via Roon, certainly not.
Measuring and testing power amplifiers is very different to hooking a DAC up to an ADC, and not all that many people have the expertise or equipment to properly test and measure power amps.
I was referring to streamers, not power amps.

Back