WiiM Amp

Very nice amp, plenty of power, even had to set volume limit in case kids would like to play with the knob. Paired it with old Canton Quinto 520 and Canton AS25 sub, good combination. Sound profile is a little bit warmer and voice is a bit muddy compared to old Harman Kardon AVR2000, but everything is fixable through EQ to my likings. Doesn't get warm in idle, just a degree warmer than ambient temperature.

Remote controller is hit n miss, sometimes it works sometimes volume doesn't work on it, probably will be better after some updates in the future or not. But everything is comfortable and easy to use either with smartphone either with controller.

Got the same problem with buzz issue from device, but noticed only the next day when everybody was sleeping so I could really hear it from it pointing my ear, honestly I couldn't even know that it is there if not people from internet complaining about it (I believe number of faulty units are much worse, but people don't read all things in the internet and don't even notice that it has buzz because it is very silent). So I decided to open ticket, got quick reply from support with purchase and shipping details, I provided them and now it is also silence for the second day, but I can wait, since it doesn't ruin my experience with this great device. I just hope that I won't need to do return and only when they get it, test it and send another unit, which I believe will make me live without sound for a weeks or months.

This is purely a guess, but…

The microphone, room measurement, and design for either manual or automatic correction will be done in your phone. Remember just how powerful your phone is.

Once it’s decided on a solution, if it’s automatic, it’ll tell the WiiM what to do. The WiiM just has to apply eq, delay, etc. Do as it’s told.

Given that they’re talking about bringing room correction to all WiiM streamers, including the £80 Mini which was designed and made way before anyone started discussion the possibility of room correction, then surely this has to be the case.

I just can’t see a WiiM Mini having the processing power required to ‘do an audyssey’, but I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

I’m not sure if this is relevant, but the figures I’ve seen online suggest a Denon AVR-X3600H can process 1 billion operations per second. An iPhone 15Pro can process 35 trillion.

We’ve seen it in so many other areas - why buy what is effectively a new, expensive mini computer for each new household device, when you hold one in the palm of your hand already.
Agree completely with this. That's how the Sonos system works (and it worked very well at sorting out my Arc and Sub integration plus other room issues).

Based in Melbourne, Australia, just received my amp for a few days. Probably one of the first batch for down under lol!

Thankfully, my Wiim amp (PCB_Version: 5) is free from any of the HDMI ARC issues or noise related issue so far. Perhaps being a lesser prirority market for Wiim have some benefits for new products!

For those interested, here are my thoughts (Inc. screenshot of EQ pairing with KEF Q350 speakers) : KEF Q350 + Yamaha WXA-50 v KEF Q350 + Wiim Amp on Audio Science Review forum under KEF Q350 thread.

Key point to emphasize which I mentioned in my post on KEF Q350 ASR thread is that I submitted a feature request to Wiim Amp for full range frequencies output under "Subwoofer" instead of the being forced to set something for the "cross-over" slider. The reason is stated in my ASR post for those wanted to know why.

Last edited:
Key point to emphasize which I mentioned in my post on KEF Q350 ASR thread is that I submitted a feature request to Wiim Amp for full range frequencies output under "Subwoofer" instead of the being forced to set something for the "cross-over" slider. The reason is stated in my ASR post for those wanted to know why.
Ideally it should be possible to set a low pass filter frequency or full range for the sub out and independently set a high-pass filter or full range for the speaker outputs.
And EQ in the sub out would be mega too.

I've received my Wiim amp a few days ago. The issue with the humming is there, but it's really quiet, nothing like somebody said that it's audible across the room. In reality, you can only hear it when you are very near the device, and even then, the noise is pretty quiet. My unit sits in a cabinet with glass doors, so the noise is basically eliminated. Since it's been corrected in later batches, are the first units with the noise somewhat worse technically? I mean, what negatives does that noise bring, apart from noise lol?

Another interesting fact is that you can enable subwoofer connection even if you're not connected to the sub via sub out, and you can adjust the crossover. My thought is that if you then connect a sub using high-level inputs, this could be a very useful feature to cut any bass from the speakers. But I'm wondering if the crossover setting also affects the subwoofer connected via high level somehow?

Attachments

• 1704805543611114.jpg
    1704805543611114.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 5
I've received my Wiim amp a few days ago. The issue with the humming is there, but it's really quiet, nothing like somebody said that it's audible across the room. In reality, you can only hear it when you are very near the device, and even then, the noise is pretty quiet. My unit sits in a cabinet with glass doors, so the noise is basically eliminated. Since it's been corrected in later batches, are the first units with the noise somewhat worse technically? I mean, what negatives does that noise bring, apart from noise lol?

Another interesting fact is that you can enable subwoofer connection even if you're not connected to the sub via sub out, and you can adjust the crossover. My thought is that if you then connect a sub using high-level inputs, this could be a very useful feature to cut any bass from the speakers. But I'm wondering if the crossover setting also affects the subwoofer connected via high level somehow?
My amp makes a very faint pulsing noise when you put your ear close to it. I can’t be bothered to change it because I can’t hear it when I’m about a meter away.

As to the sub settings. I don’t have a sub, but I have turned the sub option on so that I can set a 35Hz high-pass for the speaker output.

I think what you’re asking is whether the sub pre-out is low-pass filtered (at the frequency set in the app) or if it is full range?

I think it would be great to have separate high-pass and low-pass sliders. That way you would be able to fine tune the acoustic summation in-room with far more precision.

Thank you very much for the photo!
The assembly does not look very high quality, everything is filled with compound.
The assembly looks quite excellent. Everything is heatsinked with adequate thermal pads to transfer heat to the metal case. All ribbon cables are protected. Connectors, shock sensitive, tall, and noisy components are all set with what appears to be good quality white RTV silicone and not the awful UL electronic yellow glue and thus should last a long time.

The assembly looks quite excellent. Everything is heatsinked with adequate thermal pads to transfer heat to the metal case. All ribbon cables are protected. Connectors, shock sensitive, tall, and noisy components are all set with what appears to be good quality white RTV silicone and not the awful UL electronic yellow glue and thus should last a long time.
Thanks! Interesting, we can change opamps in this amplifier?

Hi,

I'm new on this forum. I have been following the news, updates, enthousiasm, and also "complaints" (about "humming" noise / coilewine) and thought it was time to finally buy my own amp hoping this problem is fixed (I'm from Holland, sorry for my English).

So I've got my amp today. Ordered from Amazon.nl (tink the same depot as Amazon.de, enough stock). The amp is fine/great. Setup was easy, there was a firmware update at the startup. No coilewine/humming noise. Hdmi also works fine (Hisense tv).

The amp is build is 2024/01/04 (accoring to the app).

So far, great amp, happy having it!

Hi,

I'm new on this forum. I have been following the news, updates, enthousiasm, and also "complaints" (about "humming" noise / coilewine) and thought it was time to finally buy my own amp hoping this problem is fixed (I'm from Holland, sorry for my English).

So I've got my amp today. Ordered from Amazon.nl (tink the same depot as Amazon.de, enough stock). The amp is fine/great. Setup was easy, there was a firmware update at the startup. No coilewine/humming noise. Hdmi also works fine (Hisense tv).

The amp is build is 2024/01/04 (accoring to the app).

So far, great amp, happy having it!
If you turn on the auto-sense for the optical input it also enables it for the HDMI input. Very useful feature, but not obvious that it exists.

Does USB support by connecting a usb hub for multiple devices such as flash drive, hard drive and dac?

As far as I have understood and as other users have reported, the sub-out gets a low-pass filter at the selected frequency and the main speakers get a high-pass filter at this frequency, if you enable sub-out.

It makes sense to relieve the main speakers from low bass output if you use a subwoofer.

Back