WiiM and user privacy

DavisJ

I have been looking for an audio streamer. A friend suggested the WiiM Pro or the new one Plus. However, another friend raised privacy concerns regarding these products. He said the built-in mic can be a listening device and the constant forced-on firmware upgrades are also a concern.

What do current users of these products think? Has anyone monitored packet traffic of these devices? Any observations/conclusions?

The built in mic is only for syncing the units - it doesn’t listen to you.

“Forced on firmwares” is a rather negative point of view for regular bug fixes and feature enhancements.

I thought I read here somewhere that the mic is used purely for music synchronisation, but I could be wong, and I'm sure others will chime in.
As for forced updates, yes, that does happen.
As for being a concern, well, I guess that's personal.
I've never had an update cause me issues, with the way I use the wiims, but others have had things 'break' after an update.
As far as I can tell, from this forum anyway, these things are also fixed again reasonably quickly in another update.

I suggest that there are similar products on the market that don’t have built in mics and perhaps you and your second friend would be better off with one of those,

The built in mic is only for syncing the units - it doesn’t listen to you.

“Forced on firmwares” is a rather negative point of view for regular bug fixes and feature enhancements.

How do you know it does not listen? Has there been a proper tech audit to prove that?

I thought I read here somewhere that the mic is used purely for music synchronisation, but I could be wong, and I'm sure others will chime in.
As for forced updates, yes, that does happen.
As for being a concern, well, I guess that's personal.
I've never had an update cause me issues, with the way I use the wiims, but others have had things 'break' after an update.
As far as I can tell, from this forum anyway, these things are also fixed again reasonably quickly in another update.
That's what was troubling, I heard updates caused problems. The other issue is privacy - a device with a microphone is always troubling.

Clay might be a bit of a relief to fill the microphone hole on the back of the WiiM.
I was just about to post the same thing, Blu-tack, maybe even just a piece of electrical tape covering that hole and it will have a very hard time listening to much of anything.

Hi DavisJ, Team

I understand your concerns about privacy and the built-in microphone in the WiiM Pro and WiiM Pro Plus. Let me assure you that we take privacy seriously and prioritize the security of our users' data.

Regarding the built-in microphone, please be aware that we use it exclusively for the auto-measurement of the audio path latency. We do not utilize it for any other purpose. Your privacy is of utmost importance, and we do not engage in any form of active listening or data collection through the microphone.

As for firmware updates, we continually strive to improve the performance and features of our devices. These updates are aimed at enhancing user experience, resolving issues, and ensuring optimal functionality. However, rest assured that any updates we release are thoroughly tested and designed to provide value to our users, not to compromise privacy.

We understand that privacy is a significant concern for our users, and we are committed to maintaining the trust you place in us. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out. Our team is here to provide transparent and accurate information to address any doubts you may have.

Back