WiiM Amp Pro - user evaluation

OK, a quick update...

I had the amp pro driving my Krix floorstanders for a week or so.
Plenty loud enough, and not missing the Marantz pm6006 that was driving them one bit, from a purely sound perspective.
Fantastic.

I've also used it this week to drive my SD bookshelf speakers, replacing a Marantz pm8005.
That was a bit of a trickier hill to climb; the wiim put up a good show, and with a little Room Correction applied I find it to be more than adequare for music while I work. This setup is in no way used for "listening sessions", but I do sometimes stop working just to listen for a while.
No doubt in my mind that the marantz is better (maybe as hoped/expected/biased ;) considering the price difference), but the wiim truely is remarkable here, so much so that I expect I'll leave it in this setup permanently to free up the desk space.

So far the wiim amp pro is 'The Liitle Engine That Could'!

However, when I attached the amp pro to my Paradigm floorstanders my wife's instant comment was 'What have you just done? There's no punch to the music."
I have to admit, it wasn't great.
Perhaps unfair to pair it with such speakers and pit it against the Hegel dac/amp, but maybe I'll try again later with some Room Correction too just to give it another shot. Not because I have any intention of using the wiim amp in this setup, but just for a bit of fun / experimentation.
It is meant to be a hobby after all...

This is helpful insight, did you have a chance to test the original WiiM Amp as well? I think most of us WiiM amp owners are anxious for this Amp vs Amp comparison.

It's really nice to hear that the Amp Pro can hold its own (and do not disappoint) when paired with those high profile speakers you got there. Its important ant to keep the expectations low when comparing it to high end amps like Marantz to maintain the review objective.

I'm afraid I don't have a (normal) wiim amp for comparison, sorry.
If I didn't have the amp pro I would have been very tempted to buy one (normal amp) in the Prime sale as it was just A$400.
At that price it would have been too good to walk (scroll) past, and at A$700 for the amp pro would the extra A$300 be worth it?
Guess that's the million dollar question you're all looking for an answer to!

This is helpful insight, did you have a chance to test the original WiiM Amp as well? I think most of us WiiM amp owners are anxious for this Amp vs Amp comparison.

It's really nice to hear that the Amp Pro can hold its own (and do not disappoint) when paired with those high profile speakers you got there. Its important ant to keep the expectations low when comparing it to high end amps like Marantz to maintain the review objective.
I agree as some of here would want to upgrade if someone can provide subjective comparison.

OK, a quick update...

I had the amp pro driving my Krix floorstanders for a week or so.
Plenty loud enough, and not missing the Marantz pm6006 that was driving them one bit, from a purely sound perspective.
Fantastic.

I've also used it this week to drive my SD bookshelf speakers, replacing a Marantz pm8005.
That was a bit of a trickier hill to climb; the wiim put up a good show, and with a little Room Correction applied I find it to be more than adequare for music while I work. This setup is in no way used for "listening sessions", but I do sometimes stop working just to listen for a while.
No doubt in my mind that the marantz is better (maybe as hoped/expected/biased ;) considering the price difference), but the wiim truely is remarkable here, so much so that I expect I'll leave it in this setup permanently to free up the desk space.

So far the wiim amp pro is 'The Liitle Engine That Could'!

However, when I attached the amp pro to my Paradigm floorstanders my wife's instant comment was 'What have you just done? There's no punch to the music."
I have to admit, it wasn't great.
Perhaps unfair to pair it with such speakers and pit it against the Hegel dac/amp, but maybe I'll try again later with some Room Correction too just to give it another shot. Not because I have any intention of using the wiim amp in this setup, but just for a bit of fun / experimentation.
It is meant to be a hobby after all...

Assuming your Paradigm speakers are any of the Persona series, what you found is odd because they are all very efficient (>92dB). I do not know the speakers and they may be harder to drive for other reasons. You first posted that you connected the amp and did not like it; turned it off, reconnected and it was fine. Perhaps you can repeat that. That unit may have a current issue.

But I agree that large inefficient speakers (like planars) to sound dynamic and effortless need much larger power amps with high headroom, fast slew rate, very large energy storage reserves.

Last edited:
Assuming your Paradigm speakers are any of the Persona series
I wish I could afford the Personas!
Just Founders for me :(
And yes, I too was hoping for / expecting better 'cos the Founders have quite high sensitivity, hence the further experimenting.
My wife vetoed the amp's use after just two songs, so I guess I'll have to wait for a shopping trip :ROFLMAO:
No judgement there - I have a fiio k11 r2r apparently turning up in the next hour or so!

Back