Wiim Pro Airplay 2 NAS (network attached drives) Capabilities?

Starsick

I bought the WiimPro Airplay 2 specifically for streaming audio from my NAS (networked attached drive) that I use for streaming from my Cambridge Audio server. I use the Cambridge unit with my main system, and it found my NAS drive attached no problem. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to find it with the Wiim software via wifi, although it finds another media server I have but cannot connect to it. In my research, other users were able to connect, (they said the unit found attached network drives) which is why I bought this unit. Can anyone help? Give me a step but step, if it is indeed possible? (I hope so). I hope I didn't waste my money. Thank you in advance.

I bought the WiimPro Airplay 2 specifically for streaming audio from my NAS (networked attached drive) that I use for streaming from my Cambridge Audio server. I use the Cambridge unit with my main system, and it found my NAS drive attached no problem. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to find it with the Wiim software via wifi, although it finds another media server I have but cannot connect to it. In my research, other users were able to connect, (they said the unit found attached network drives) which is why I bought this unit. Can anyone help? Give me a step but step, if it is indeed possible? (I hope so). I hope I didn't waste my money. Thank you in advance.
Can you provide a little more detail about the nas setup?
e.g. is it hosted on a pc, or something like a qnap or synology nas?
Is there a media server running, such as minimserver?
What shows in the Browse / Home Music Share menu in the wiim app?
Does another app, such as bubbleupnp or mconnect, see the share?

Wiim doesn’t yet support smb sharing, so until then you will need to have a upnp/DLNA server running somewhere on your network. What model of NAS and Router do you have?

Can you provide a little more detail about the nas setup?
e.g. is it hosted on a pc, or something like a qnap or synology nas?
Is there a media server running, such as minimserver?
What shows in the Browse / Home Music Share menu in the wiim app?
Does another app, such as bubbleupnp or mconnect, see the share?
It is a Western digital ethernet drive, I have no media server running on that drive. When I use the Cambridge audio media server, it just automatically found the NAS drive. I thought the Wiim would do the same based on my reading, but I think I've been mistaken. Alternately, can I plug an SSD or external hard drive via the USB port in the back and host music that way? It would be a duplication of sorts, but if this unit's not going to find my NAS drive, that the Cambridge audio media server so easily found, then I'm going to have to think about an alternate way. Please advise and thank you so much.

The Cambridge unit must support SMB/CIFS to be able to index and access the files directly for itself. WiiM does not (yet). WiiM requires a UPnP/DLNA media server to be running somewhere which takes on the job of indexing and serving the files.

Are you sure there isn't a media server option on the WD NAS? NASes usually have one, typically disabled by default.

BTW the USB port on the back of the WiiM is solely for power.

I don't think the WD does have any "apps". It is a very basic NAS.

What you can do is install a UPnP server on your PC and point it at the files on the NAS but it does mean that you will need PC on to play local music.

Many people get a Raspberry Pi specifically for the purpose. They install the server on the Pi and "mount" the files from the NAS. There are numerous options available.

Okay, so I guess I was a bid misled by some other reviews whenever I thought that the app would index the songs and go out and find my NAS drive. Like I said, the Cambridge audio unit had no problem, but it is 10 times the price. Secondly, if I run the raspberry pi, I would just look for that server on the wireless network and configure it to point to that NAS drive by IP address to find the files? Then the app would just find the raspberry pi server? Lastly, of course it has an Ethernet port on it what if I buy a second NAS drive, and plug it directly into the unit itself? I realize that would be more of a peer-to-peer connection then going through a router. I'm just trying to figure out, how to best do this. I'm a little disappointed that the unit does not have its own media server in the firmware, when you couple that with the app it seems like it would be pretty straightforward thing to do. Please advise. Especially on the raspberry pie set up.

Okay, so I guess I was a bid misled by some other reviews whenever I thought that the app would index the songs and go out and find my NAS drive. Like I said, the Cambridge audio unit had no problem, but it is 10 times the price. Secondly, if I run the raspberry pi, I would just look for that server on the wireless network and configure it to point to that NAS drive by IP address to find the files? Then the app would just find the raspberry pi server?

You get a Pi and install some kind of UPnP server (or LMS). Point the Pi at the NAS files. The media server will index the files. You then open the WiiM app and it will find the media server on the Pi.

However

UPnP is not the WiiM app's strong point at all. A better solution is to install LMS on your Pi and use the Squeezlite client on the WiiM Pro and control it with LMS's Material gui on your phone rather than the WiiM app. Others will suggest Minimserver and BubbleUPnP which will also give you a much better experience than the WiiM app in this case.

Lastly, of course it has an Ethernet port on it what if I buy a second NAS drive, and plug it directly into the unit itself? I realize that would be more of a peer-to-peer connection then going through a router. I'm just trying to figure out, how to best do this. I'm a little disappointed that the unit does not have its own media server in the firmware, when you couple that with the app it seems like it would be pretty straightforward thing to do. Please advise. Especially on the raspberry pie set up.
No the LAN port on the WiiM can't be used in that way.

I got one of these, reflashed it with OpenWrt and had it install miniDLNA. I was new to OpenWrt and my Linux was rusty, so it took a few hours to get it straight. My local files are on a 256GB stick, plugged in the back, but you could use any SSD/HDD.

TBH I mostly stream, but the local files are there if needed.

Last edited:
I don't think the WD does have any "apps". It is a very basic NAS.

What you can do is install a UPnP server on your PC and point it at the files on the NAS but it does mean that you will need PC on to play local music.

Many people get a Raspberry Pi specifically for the purpose. They install the server on the Pi and "mount" the files from the NAS. There are numerous options available.
Ok. I happen to have a Pi that is a few years old laying around, I can put the latest distro on it and install minDLNA (that supports UPnP, I believe). I really would like to use the WiiM app as it is all in one to stream my files. Can you point me to a tutorial for doing this, and the correct command I would put in my conf files to point to the media files (they reside on a network drive on my private network at 192.168.111.125\\MyBookLive\Shared Music)? I am sure I am asking a lot, but I am clearly a newbie at all of this.

Ok. I happen to have a Pi that is a few years old laying around, I can put the latest distro on it and install minDLNA (that supports UPnP, I believe). I really would like to use the WiiM app as it is all in one to stream my files. Can you point me to a tutorial for doing this, and the correct command I would put in my conf files to point to the media files (they reside on a network drive on my private network at 192.168.111.125\\MyBookLive\Shared Music)? I am sure I am asking a lot, but I am clearly a newbie at all of this.
I can point you to how to install LMS but not miniDLNA

For LMS install piCorePlayer which you will find at https://picoreplayer.org
EDIT Option 2 or 3

It is a Pi OS so you just burn it to SD and boot it in the Pi. Then there are a few steps required to mount your NAS and install LMS.

@Brantome has done it specifically for a WiiM

I can point you to how to install LMS but not miniDLNA

For LMS install piCorePlayer which you will find at https://picoreplayer.org
EDIT Option 2 or 3

It is a Pi OS so you just burn it to SD and boot it in the Pi. Then there are a few steps required to mount your NAS and install LMS.

@Brantome has done it specifically for a WiiM
Would a Raspberry Pi 2, with a 32 GB sdcard be enough to run the server? On My NAS I have about 1.8 TB of music (the Pi would not host the music , though obviously) THEN - this will work in the WiiM app? Sorry for so many questions, I just don't know, and thanks in advance.

If you are on android then the bubble upnp app can find and browse SMB shares.
Not as nice as LMS etc. as it'd just be like browsing a file structure, but it works.

Would a Raspberry Pi 2, with a 32 GB sdcard be enough to run the server? On My NAS I have about 1.8 TB of music (the Pi would not host the music , though obviously) THEN - this will work in the WiiM app? Sorry for so many questions, I just don't know, and thanks in advance.
LMS isn't visible in the WiiM app but miniDLNA should work depending on how many files you need to index, although indexing will be slower because the files are on a network share.
Once you have the NAS share mounted on the Pi the miniDLNA configuration is simple.
I'm away from my computer at the moment but can help, or point you in the right direction tomorrow if needed.

Certainly I want to be able to use the WiiM app AND the device since I got it for this purpose. I did install picoreplayer OS on the Pi as I liked the idea it IS an OS, but I'll change the OS on the Pi if need be to control the media server (wireless LAN) through the Wiim Pro with the WiimM app. With that in mind, I hope I am on the right track, and if not I'll take expert advice to reach these goals. I have the Pi ready to go.

Yes but a 3 or 4 will be better.
If you run LMS you will find yourself using Material for most things and WHA for Amazon only and setup

I don't know how comfortable you are in Linux, but given it's a Pi 2 you could try using DietPi.

It's going to be slow to configure and index but hopefully it'll be ok for browsing your music - depending on how many files you have.

Once it's installed you'll need to map the shared drive of the NAS to the local path '/mnt/dietpi_userdata/Music' by typing 'dietpi-launcher' at the console and heading to:
Dietpi-Drive_Manager > Add network drive > Samba

Then to install ReadyMedia (MiniDLNA) at the console type dietpi-launcher and go to:
DietPi-Software > Browse Software: 39 ReadyMedia: (MiniDLNA)

I don't know much about MiniDLNA but you should be able to see basic stats by going to:
http://[ip addr]:8200/

This may be enough for you, but as others have mentioned you'll benefit greatly from:
  • A faster Pi
  • A better server (MinimServer or AssetUPnP)
  • A better control point for browsing than the WiiM Home App, although it is improving slowly (BubbleUPnP for Android or mconnect for iOS).
Alternatively, if you're comfortable installing and maintaining an OS yourself then I'd opt for installing MinimServer, as it's a really lightweight yet powerful server.

Last edited:
I don't know how comfortable you are in Linux, but given it's a Pi 2 you could try using DietPi.

It's going to be slow to configure and index but hopefully it'll be ok for browsing your music - depending on how many files you have.

Once it's installed you'll need to map the shared drive of the NAS to the local path '/mnt/dietpi_userdata/Music' by typing 'dietpi-launcher' at the console and heading to:
Dietpi-Drive_Manager > Add network drive > Samba

Then to install ReadyMedia (MiniDLNA) at the console type dietpi-launcher and go to:
DietPi-Software > Browse Software: 39 ReadyMedia: (MiniDLNA)

I don't know much about MiniDLNA but you should be able to see basic stats by going to:
http://[ip addr]:8200/

This may be enough for you, but as others have mentioned you'll benefit greatly from:
  • A faster Pi
  • A better server (MinimServer or AssetUPnP)
  • A better control point for browsing than the WiiM Home App, although it is improving slowly (BubbleUPnP for Android or mconnect for iOS).
Alternatively, if you're comfortable installing and maintaining an OS yourself then I'd opt for installing MinimServer, as it's a really lightweight yet powerful server.
I have configured a Pihole server before, but I am indeed a newbie to Linux. My goal is to stream completely through the Wiim Pro Airplay 2, using my NAS, through a Music Server. I am in search of the best advice to set up a music server that the WiiM app can find and use to stream through the device. I am willing to go through some pain to set it up and get it working, and get the latest Pi for speed. Can anyone give me their step by step to do this? The advice so far has been enlightening and it appears that if I use LMS ( like picoreplayer) I will not be able to do that through the WiiM app and WiiM Pro Airplay 2 itself, at least my understanding. So, my question is, if the option was WiiM App control, playing through the Pro device, and NAS access through a Pi music server......what do I do, step by step. Keep in mind I will be indexing in exces of 100,000 songs. This forum is SUPERB. Thank you ALL for your patience with me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "WiiM Pro Airplay 2" refers to in this context. AirPlay is used to stream audio from an Apple device. Usually you'd want to avoid this method because (a) it puts the Apple device in the actual audio path and (b) AirPlay quality is at best 16/44.1.

I can't speak for the process of configuring LMS on Pi, having not used it (on a PC) in over 14 years. However I'd have thought that given your requirements sorting out a DLNA server for your files would be the path of least resistance.

Back