WiiM Ultra amp pairing question

cherishkg

My current setup is Wharfedale Evo 30 signature series with Ultra passing to old Denon x1500 to speakers.

I am planning to upgrade my speaker setup.

Planning to buy Monitor Audio Silver 500 7g. Should I get a power amplifier Marantz Mm7025 (don’t have any class d hyped or purify in India) and use ultra as pre amp? Or get Yamaha rn800a? Getting Yamaha might make ultra redundant, but I can use Ultra as DAC and since it has hdmi arc can use it to power on my system.

Any thoughts on first configuration- using marantz power amp? Read about using ultra as volume controller might be a potential issue because of digital control. Might blow the speaker if it inadvertently maxes the volume. Or is the issue overblown? Getting Marantz 7025 for ~800usd and it gives clean 140w of power.

Thanks for the help

I’d go for the Ultra as preamp plus Marantz as a power amp solution. The issue is indeed overblown.
It’s important to set the Ultra’s maximum output voltage to a level where you can use the full range of the Ultra volume control.

I think a power amp is a good option with the Ultra as the preamp/DAC for a dedicated 2-channel setup, or even better, a 2.1 stereo setup if you have a sub and use the Ultra's sub-out/bass management. I'm doing it for my desktop rig with an Emotiva A2m that has a fixed gain mode so it is acting as a power amp. For me, it is perfect. I originally had the Ultra set up with 2 Fosi ZA3s, and it is very good, too, but I like controlling volume with only the Ultra.

Back