WiiM Ultra Firmware v5.2.624365 Update - Jul 26, 2024

I can’t seems to figure out how to change different ssd it keep choosing the same even factory reset.

Please review the WiiM Ultra update release notes below. If you encounter any issues, feel free to reach out to us.

5.2.624365 (In Progress)

Release date:

7 / 26 / 2024

What's New:

6. DSD Format Support for USB Disks: Adds the ability to play DSD audio tracks in DSF and DST formats directly from a USB disk.
Per you reply above, the DSD audio is converted to PCM, so the output is not true DSD. It seems that at least 1x DSD (2.8Mhz) could be output as DoP, assuming 176 KHz is supported on USB. Converting to DoP is a very easy process.

What input DSD sample rates are allowed for input - 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x?

What PCM sample rate is output? Can the user specify the output PCM sample rate?

I think it is important when describing DSD support that you point out that it is converted to PCM. Most people think DSD support means DSD output as well as DSD input.

Thanks for this first step in supporting DSD.

The stream will remain DSD only if it's stored in DoP, otherwise it's converted to PCM.

I can’t seems to figure out how to change different ssd it keep choosing the same even factory reset.

"Q: I want to change wi fi network (a repeater that is near the wiim) , but I don't want to reset the device, is it possible?

A: Both should be on the same network to ensure seamless discovery and interaction between your mobile phone and WiiM device. Based on your description, we recommend the steps below:

1. Initial Connection: Make sure your mobile phone is connected to the desired network you plan for your WiiM device.

2. Reset WiiM Network:

- Press and hold the Play/Press button on your WiiM device for 3 seconds.

- Wait for the indicator light on your WiiM device to blink white slowly.

3. Assign New Network: Open the WiiM Home app and set up the network for your WiiM device.

Please note: Do not hold the Play/Press button for over 10 seconds. Doing so will reset your device to factory settings, erasing all stored information."

The stream will remain DSD only if it's stored in DoP, otherwise it's converted to PCM.
Almost nobody stores DSD in DoP format. It is very hard to even produce a DoP file with standard software. Conversion to DoP is usually done in the player itself. Even if you have a DoP file, output would be limited to 1x (2.8MHz) DSD by the maximum USB output sample rate. Realistically, the process here is DSD to PCM conversion, not native DSD playback.

Casting, a crucial WiiM function, needs to be addressed and WiiM is working on it.

Yep…it needs work. I am using Roon via Chromecast and it will loose the connection every once and a while. It always comes back but I have to restart the paused music.

I was thinking the same thing as you later.😳
Exactly, this may be a miracle borne of a bug. In other words, should I destroy the ticket. 😂
@WiiM Support, @WiiMTeam,
I got confirmation from WiiM through my ticket that this is not a bug but an intended feature, indeed. And yes, I like it!

The use case follows the analogy of a TV (or a computer) where after some period of inactivity some wallpapers might be shown (or a classical screen saver). If you explicitly press the power button OTOH you really do so because you want the screen to turn off.

Best of both worlds. This is a great solution.

I got confirmation from WiiM through my ticket that this is not a bug but an intended feature, indeed. And yes, I like it!

The use case follows the analogy of a TV (or a computer) where after some period of inactivity some wallpapers might be shown (or a classical screen saver). If you explicitly press the power button OTOH you really do so because you want the screen to turn off.

Best of both worlds. This is a great solution.
Glad to know it was not a bug, thank you.
(The reply I received said it was escalated to the team.)

This is a very unique feature, but the release notes may need to be modified as such. 🤣

"Screen now turns off/on with the remote's power button."

"The screen is turned off when the remote's power button is used to enter standby mode. The clock is displayed during standby by auto standby. However, if 'Turn Off Screen in Standby Mode' is on, the screen will always be off during standby."

Well, I believe you can explain it better than that.😄

Hello, 3 questions:

1. What's the maximum sample rates on the USB Audio Output ?
2. Is DSD on USB out native ?
3. Will the WiimOS add any support in the future for NAA so people can upsample audio via HQPlayer NAA for example and passthrought via USB out ? That would make this device a Holo Red killer too (if you don't need the I2S out), as well almost any Raspberry Pi streamer on the market... All of that while maintaining all the streaming and HDMI ARC capabilities would be one of the best streamers on the market (regardless of price!).

Thanks in advance!
I also vote for HQPlayer NAA, it doesn't need many resources and it's free

On the usb Drive

Is there anyway to scan DSD files to read the metadata. They come out all as Unknown

Also on multi disc albums in the usb drive Is there anyway to read by disc number on the meta data as it’s putting all the track ones together.

Also replay gain would be nice on the usb drive as well

Otherwise this thing is awesome.

I also vote for HQPlayer NAA, it doesn't need many resources and it's free
@WiiM Team isn't WiimOS Linux-based?
Can't you just add "networkaudiod" (the NAA service) in a future update ? (There are a ton of Linux binaries on HQPlayer website)

I understard that you guys have your own DSPs and everything, but it would be nice to give customers more choices, no ? Especially with the added Audio USB out function....

From my tests it appears that there is really only one problem: Pressing the power button on the remote does not obey the setting "Turn Off Screen in Standby Mode". It always turns the screen off.

Auto standby works as expected. It either displays the clock (option disabled) or turns off the screen (option enabled).

And let me repeat one more time that you do need WiiM Home version 2.10.7 or higher to enable or disable "Turn Off Screen in Standby Mode". Older versions may be able to display this option but not to change it.
Perhaps I'm a little late to the party here, but...
I have standby set to Never and Turn off screen in standby mode disabled.
As already stated, pressing the remote's power button turns the screen off. Presumably that means it's in standby, despite the Never setting. Fair enough, I suppose I did hit the power button, thereby manually asking for standby and overruling the automatic standby setting.

However, some time later after no interaction at all with the ultra in any way, the screen is back on again showing the clock.
Wiim did mention in another thread about a housekeeping task that woke up the (some?) devices. I wonder if that's what's happening here?

Last edited:
Fair enough, I suppose I did hit the power button, thereby manually asking for standby and overruling the automatic standby setting.
Yep, I came.to value that point of view.

However, some time later after no interaction at all with the ultra in any way, the screen is back on again showing the clock.
Wiim did mention in another thread about a housekeeping task that woke up the (some?) devices. I wonder if that's what's happening here?
That wouldn't be exactly helpful then. Did you try hitting the power button in that state? Will it wake up the device from stand-by ... or push it back into dark side of the moon stand-by?

I love Ultra very much, the most caring customer company in the world the most useful device,easy to use and good sound , may I ask if this screen is truly reflects the spectrum or is only a indicator,or may I ask if it can update to turn spectrum indicator?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-04-14-15-39-532-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-04-14-15-39-532-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 11
I love Ultra very much, the most caring customer company in the world the most useful device,easy to use and good sound , may I ask if this screen is truly reflects the spectrum or is only a indicator,or may I ask if it can update to turn spectrum indicator?
Indicator.
It stll plays with no actual input.

Hello, 3 questions:

1. What's the maximum sample rates on the USB Audio Output ?
2. Is DSD on USB out native ?
3. Will the WiimOS add any support in the future for NAA so people can upsample audio via HQPlayer NAA for example and passthrought via USB out ? That would make this device a Holo Red killer too (if you don't need the I2S out), as well almost any Raspberry Pi streamer on the market... All of that while maintaining all the streaming and HDMI ARC capabilities would be one of the best streamers on the market (regardless of price!).

Thanks in advance!
This, I use HQPlayer almost daily and NAA would be just awesome!

Please review the WiiM Ultra update release notes below. If you encounter any issues, feel free to reach out to us.

5.2.624365 (In Progress)

Release date:

7 / 26 / 2024

What's New:

6. DSD Format Support for USB Disks: Adds the ability to play DSD audio tracks in DSF and DST formats directly from a USB disk.
It is good to see that DSD support is being added. There are still some questions about how DSD is handled. Can you elaborate on these questions. Thanks.

Does DSD input from a file over usb convert to PCM for output to all digital outputs (optical, coax, usb)?

Can you send DSD format to the usb output directly without conversion to PCM?

Can you send a DSD file from a DLNA server? If so, does it always get converted to PCM for digital output?

Can a DSD file be converted to DoP for output over usb?

Can a DSD file be sent to the internal DAC for conversion and output over the analog outputs?

The Pro Firmware Update mentions DFF files? What DSD capabilities are available on the Pro, given it does not have a usb input or output? Can it receive DSD files via DLNA?

What sample rate DSD files are accepted as input?

Thanks

DSD files are converted to 192/24 PCM streams unless they are in DoP format already.
Thanks. The Updates typically discuss DSD files from usb disks. I have seen nothing about network streams, including DLNA. Do you know if any DSD other than files (e.g. DLNA) can be handled? For files that are converted to PCM can they be sent to any digital output. I have not seen any confirmation of that. This becomes import since the recent update for the Pro mentions DSD but gives not detail. Up to know, I thought it required usb for both input and output. Hence the questions.

Back