Worth upgrading from stock RCA cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bad cables?
Let me quote some of the conclusions from an 25 year old research from MIT "Audio Interconnect Performance":

The measurements conducted on the (RCA) cables, aside from the noise and THD+N tests, failed to conclude anything as to why some cables allegedly sound better than others. The THD+N and noise tests gave one remotely possible explanation as to why some cables might sound better, but it failed to give any correlation between price and performance or construction and performance. Therefore, it is the basic conclusion of this research that cable quality is of very little consequence in audio systems.
During my search for interconnects to test, I talked to a salesman at two different stores, and both gave me about the same advice/information regarding cables. In effect, what they said was that different cables sound better in different systems - that some cables may make one system sound bright and "airy" while making another sound flat and dull. They recommended trying different cables to see which sounded better in my system. This was about the same information that was written in Butterworth and Griffin's article in Home Theatre.
Upon hearing this advice, it lead me to wonder what about a cable could make
one system sound good and another sound not as good. A big issue in all of this is pyschoacoustics and the perception of sound. What sounds good to one person may not sound good to another. Furthermore, if someone knows that they purchased the supposedly best cable on the market, it may lead them to believe it is making his audio system sound better - the "paying more must lead to better performance" thought. In reality, a listener who was unaware of the change may never notice the difference.

Last edited:
a lot of empty talks, science bla bla...science change from day to day...let's get some example, album ballads by dexter gordon...

i am using some ordinary cable, it was actually dnm solid core cable and after that van den hul d102mk3...with dnm music starts and stop early, like it was cut with the axe...with vdh 102 i heard his saxophone a little bit longer, with clearly heard sound of sax fading a lot longer sounding like pfffffff into silence...you can hear the difference from the other room...

does it matter in the grand scheme of things? depends on your perspective, but no one can tell me all cables sounds the same...it simply isn't true...just use some well known and good recording and find for yourself...

are there cables worth 10.000 dollars per meter, it's a whole another question...
I agree, but I would also say that its rare with really good cables, regardless of price. Your van den hul d102 is famous for really making a difference for the better, and the same is true about the much cheaper Focal Elite RCA 1m .

One can unfortunately buy cables for huge amount of money that makes the sound worse.

Maybe, if it’s such a night and day difference, you can record the difference so we can all take part? I know Dexter Gordon’s recordings by heart, I play the tenor saxophone myself, I am sure you can capture the difference even on a phone if it’s so strong that you can hear it from another room?
would you like me to serve you some beer with that? you think i don't have any things to do in life but prove something to you?

as a world's famous saxophonist i think you can arrange the test by yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back