Beta Test: Plex

You'd be surprised by the number of people who don't want to pay anything, let alone a monthly subscription, to access their own content.
I'd imagine the market for Plex within the WiiM Home app is greater than that for a PlexAmp endpoint, especially when you consider PlexAmp doesn't even have any streaming service integration.
It is a shame how little people value a piece of software I have seen people refuse to pay 99p for an app even when it is exactly what they need. All it costs is the price of a coffee a month for a plexpass annual and Plexamp is so good I don't hesitate to pay.

Every integration into the WiiM app is worse than the native client it is the wrong approach just make it an endpoint like Spotify integration.
Yes that seems to be the conclusion of most people who were able to try the beta, which is why they went back to the drawing board. Let's wait and see what they come up with. I'm currently not at home to try, but I believe I can just as well start "plex casting" to my Raspberry PI running Plexamp headless from both the OG Plex app and Plexamp. So the implementation might be universal for both apps.

Yes that seems to be the conclusion of most people who were able to try the beta, which is why they went back to the drawing board. Let's wait and see what they come up with. I'm currently not at home to try, but I believe I can just as well start "plex casting" to my Raspberry PI running Plexamp headless from both the OG Plex app and Plexamp. So the implementation might be universal for both apps.
Yes all in one app (Wiim Home) is great if it also has all the functionality of the native app most of the integrations are ok if you want to just listen to albums and the odd playlist but that is it. Also, before I get criticised I do listen to albums (mostly vinyl) but there are times when I enjoy the Plexamp DJ doing the multi-song transitions between tracks, so good for rediscovering things you haven't listened to for a while.

It is a shame how little people value a piece of software I have seen people refuse to pay 99p for an app even when it is exactly what they need. All it costs is the price of a coffee a month for a plexpass annual and Plexamp is so good I don't hesitate to pay.
If you don't need Plexamp and are happy using other software why pay for Plexamp. I actually have very little idea what the benefits of Plexamp are to make it worth buying.

If you don't need Plexamp and are happy using other software why pay for Plexamp. I actually have very little idea what the benefits of Plexamp are to make it worth buying.
Sure if you don't need it then don't but perhaps try it you might like it. If nobody wants to support Plex then they will go away or add advertising do you want either of those things to happen?

Yes all in one app (Wiim Home) is great if it also has all the functionality of the native app most of the integrations are ok if you want to just listen to albums and the odd playlist but that is it. Also, before I get criticised I do listen to albums (mostly vinyl) but there are times when I enjoy the Plexamp DJ doing the multi-song transitions between tracks, so good for rediscovering things you haven't listened to for a while.
And coupled with Tailscale, you can listen to music from your NAS in the car using PlexAmp or when walking the dog. It's very convenient to flip on Tailscale and every service hosted at home is at your fingertips. I'm sure there's an LMS frontend if we look hard enough.

I bought the Plex lifetime membership years ago. It goes on sale a couple of times each year.

And coupled with Tailscale, you can listen to music from your NAS in the car using PlexAmp or when walking the dog. It's very convenient to flip on Tailscale and every service hosted at home is at your fingertips. I'm sure there's an LMS frontend if we look hard enough.

I bought the Plex lifetime membership years ago. It goes on sale a couple of times each year.
Don't even need Tailscale to listen remotely

If you don't need any integration with other music services, to listen purely to your personal music library stored on a NAS or server (at home and on the go), it is a great alternative to Roon. And considerably cheaper :)

But I'm not going into too much detail... The benefits and features have already been discussed elsewhere. This thread is already way beyond that and it seems like there's enough active Plex users for WiiM to dedicate themselves to it.

Last edited:
Every integration into the WiiM app is worse than the native client it is the wrong approach just make it an endpoint like Spotify integration.
I don’t know about Plex, but in general the APIs provided to third parties like WiiM are less functional than the source native apps. There are some who want the WiiM Home app to be the one client app for all their music services (I’m not one) but they have to accept a less feature rich interface.

I don’t know what happen on 9/30 roadmap released as there were many was listed and none was made out of the gate.

Same here I don’t use it. I would rather see feature focus on improving rc especially the independent peq and phase timing.
Guys, it's okay, nobody uses ALL the services. Just because I don't need a particular service, I'm not going to tell in every dedicated thread.

Let's stay on topic :)

Last edited:
Back