Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

I doubt that. Apps like "Room Acoustics" and "Hifi-Apps Speaker" do well with the Android microphone.
Room Acoustics only measures reverberation time. Hifi-Apps Speaker says
"Even the built-in microphone of your Android device provides many important insights. The next step is to work with a measurement microphone."
So they recommend an external microphone as well.

Room Acoustics only measures reverberation time.
Where do you get that from?
Hifi-Apps Speaker says
"Even the built-in microphone of your Android device provides many important insights. The next step is to work with a measurement microphone."
So they recommend an external microphone as well.
They always will recommend a calibrated, dedicated mic. But for home use, as in "real world application for amateurs" especially in the price class we are in here, the Android mic should do well for most.

Did you update to the latest beta app released a couple of days ago?

Yeah, I tried that earlier at Team's request.

Result.

1. LG V60
[IMM-6] Microphone recognized.
(RC screen displayed "h2w".)
[IMM-6C] Not recognized.
(RC screen displayed "Built-in microphone".)

2. Xiaomi 13T pro
[IMM-6C] Not recognized.

3. Galaxy tub S8+
[IMM-6C] Not recognized.

4. Xiaomi 12T pro
I cannot install an unknown APP even if I allow it to be installed.

5. Xiaomi pad 6
I cannot install an unknown APP even if I allow it to be installed.

So all my Android devices could not recognize the IMM-6C. But, V60 recognized IMM-6.

Team ordered IMM-6C and said they would test it for us. 🙂

.98d21d I tried beta #1 with an Asus Zenfone 7 Pro Android phone with its own built-in microphone. Two measurements in a row, nothing moved even a little bit. What can be concluded from this? I think it's wrong for some reason... thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240730-112335714.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730-112335714.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240730-112347208.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730-112347208.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240730-112455399.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730-112455399.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240730-112505008.jpg
    Screenshot_20240730-112505008.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 6
So I tried the new version of the app. It still recognises my IMM-6 via the Google adapter fine, so far so good. Some other glitches are fixed too in the display.

One thing I find rather annoying however is it wants to apply -10dB to the bass around 40Hz (my room sucks but I think that's a bit much. I want to calm it down a bit, so I configured it to apply a max correction of 5dB. The end result is that it's still correcting -10dB (or more !), it just piles up two filters to do it !

View attachment 9645
I am also not too fan of what's happening in the 350Hz and 1.4kHz regions, those are too harsh and make voices especially sound "thinner".

I'm waiting for the separate L & R correction, as I suspect I have a strong imbalance (room again... Right speaker sandwiched between TV and window).
I found that you can manually change the amount of correction applied and then save that as a preset. I currently have two presets I created -- a "Room correction" as set by the test, and a "Room correction mild" where I reduced the amount of correction being applied at two or three of the frequencies. I prefer the latter. (That is also why it would be nice to run multiple scans of the room and use an average of the results.)

.98d21d I tried beta #1 with an Asus Zenfone 7 Pro Android phone with its own built-in microphone. Two measurements in a row, nothing moved even a little bit. What can be concluded from this? I think it's wrong for some reason... thanks.
I've had similar results in the past from time to time for no obvious reason, but not with the current beta .98d21d so far. Maybe still a bit hit and miss.

However, I can confirm that the RC setting like
  • Frequency range
  • Maximum gain
  • Maximum filter Q
are now observed correctly. Only tested this with my WiiM Amp so far, not the Ultra, and just using the built-in mic.

I've had similar results in the past from time to time for no obvious reason, but not with the current beta .98d21d so far. Maybe still a bit hit and miss.

However, I can confirm that the RC setting like
  • Frequency range
  • Maximum gain
  • Maximum filter Q
are now observed correctly. Only tested this with my WiiM Amp so far, not the Ultra, and just using the built-in mic.
I've tried it a few times since then, and I get completely different results even without a 1mm change. This is still not good. Even if my phone's built-in microphone is ideal, I should get the same results if I just repeat it, right? I think so... (even if the frequency response of the telephone microphone is not straight, repeated measurements without any changes should give the same result). But for now I'm getting totally different results. Is it more consistent and stable with Imm6c?

I've tried it a few times since then, and I get completely different results even without a 1mm change. This is still not good. Even if my phone's built-in microphone is ideal, I should get the same results if I just repeat it, right? I think so... (even if the frequency response of the telephone microphone is not straight, repeated measurements without any changes should give the same result). But for now I'm getting totally different results. Is it more consistent and stable with Imm6c?
It look like rc for android will be in beta for a while since mic are different from every vendor of mobile device. Apple one design same parts across the board and controlled by their eco system. Open vs close source.

It look like rc for android will be in beta for a while since mic are different from every vendor of mobile device. Apple one design same parts across the board and controlled by their eco system. Open vs close source.
Yes, but with a weaker microphone you should get the same result as you repeat the measurement if you don't move anything in between. I (see above) got completely different results. Not a little different, grossly different. This software is not working yet...

In the second measurement, the built-in microphone picks up almost no sound. In other words, it is not that the measurement result is different each time, but it seems that there is some error that prevents normal measurement.

If you reboot the WiiM app after the first RC and run the second RC, does it work correctly?

You may also want to check if other measurement apps are responding before running the RC.

Yes, but with a weaker microphone you should get the same result as you repeat the measurement if you don't move anything in between. I (see above) got completely different results. Not a little different, grossly different. This software is not working yet...
In your case yes, there’s more need to be done before rc for android become official release. Separate left and right will soon be incorporated with RC. RC is evolving here and there.

FWIW repeated measurement on my Pixel 8A internal mic yields essentially the same results.

my dayton imm6 3.5mm(non USB c) mic shows up as " USB audio -samsung type c to 3.5pi gender" in room correction on my Samsung s23 with an apple dongle usd c to 3.5mm.
on my Samsung s10e and Samsung tablet, both with 3.5mm plugs and the mic plugged directly in shows up as 'h2w".

Last edited:
my dayton imm6 3/4" (non USB c) mic shows up as " USB audio -samsung type c to 3.5pi gender" in room correction on my Samsung s23 with an apple dongle usd c to 3/4".
on my Samsung s10e and Samsung tablet, both with three quarter inch plugs and the mic plugged directly in shows up as 'h2w".
That dongle is an ADC. There is no way for the WiiM Home app to detect which analogue mic might be attached to it.

That dongle is an ADC. There is no way for the WiiM Home app to detect which analogue mic might be attached to it.
yes I assume that oddly enough when I plug in another USBC to 3/4 in adapter dac dongle like a Samsung or a generic it's still defaults to external mic and it doesn't show any change. only the Apple dongle shows a change in Mic from external.

Back