Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

Yes I think so. I have tried it on my Sony Xperia 1 v. Checked it when it's not plugged in I get a message using internal mic. When plugged in no message come up.
As far as I know, the simple electret microphone capsules receive charge management at the factory, they do not need a power supply. (but I could be wrong).

I would also like to ask: does the IMM-6C work reliably on all Android phones yet?

As far as I know, the simple electret microphone capsules receive charge management at the factory, they do not need a power supply. (but I could be wrong).

I would also like to ask: does the IMM-6C work reliably on all Android phones yet?

Even if this article is marked as having multiple issues, the basics are physically correct. It's the choice of material.

I asked in the fall of Wiim Home, because of Room Correction. My Asus mobile only a USB-C.
Have a look at the link to the dongle I've used, it's 3.5mm TRRS male to USB C. Seems to work OK though I've no way of verifying that.

Well interesting listening tests. Frankly the profiles from the Dayton sounded pretty ugly, no bass at all. The S23 inbuilt sounded like listening with cupped ears, the most natural sounding was the original one I made manually.
However, a tweak of the Daytona profile, changing one of the PK to a LS and turning the sub volume up to compensate worked OK. It's the one I'll use for time being, but of course if I change the room in any way the whole process needs repeating. Maybe I should just move house....

Without the support of the calibration file, all measurements are just "cooking water". I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 and at the same time two versions of the measuring microphone Dayton Audio IMM-6 and IMM-6C and both are supported in the application and correctly identified before the measurement (h2w and IMM-6C), they even have approximately the same results, but as I write above, would still like to finish development and add .cal calibration file support.
For now, I'm only listening with "rough" measurements without a .cal file and I'm quite satisfied.

I have installed the .cal file on two of my devices with the Audio Tools app (per the Dayton website). I suspect I could determine an EQ profile from that app too, but I haven't spent much time on it, I found it easier to use Spectroid tbh to identify spikes and nodes.

I think your RC results have something in common with the LG V60 results I posted here earlier.

In my tests, when I connected the IMM-6 to the LG and measured the sweep, I found a noticeable difference from the built-in microphone: with the IMM-6, the curve peaked at 1 kHz and became mountainous.

Therefore, the low frequencies are likely to be boosted in the RC to compensate for this. Unfortunately, due to my lack of knowledge, I do not know the cause yet.

View attachment 10086

View attachment 10087

This problem does not happen with my IMM-6C.
This is a sweep measured on another day with a Galaxy tab s8 plus + IMM-6C, which is clearly different from the LG results.
View attachment 10089
(Edit: I reposted this because I made a mistake with the image.)

FWIW this morning I had a message from Wiim support advising that there is an app update due shortly to address the LG "bug" so watch this space.

I have installed the .cal file on two of my devices with the Audio Tools app (per the Dayton website). I suspect I could determine an EQ profile from that app too, but I haven't spent much time on it, I found it easier to use Spectroid tbh to identify spikes and nodes.
It is still not clear to me from this topic how "authentic" Dayton's .cal files are, and when the Wiim Hone Android version will be stable, using an external microphone and possibly the .cal file. Looking back at the posts, the strange thing for me is that I see very extreme measurement curves with huge dB swings. I had it last year on an Umik1 microphone and a MiniDSP with Dirac, and I didn't measure anything nearly as rough there. By the way, at that time, the use of the remote control microphone was also suggested for Pro Plus. Will nothing come of it? It can also be suitable for a measurement between 20 Hz-5 kHz in the RC (in principle), and the capsules of the remote controls can be quite similar in quality.

It is still not clear to me from this topic how "authentic" Dayton's .cal files are, and when the Wiim Hone Android version will be stable, using an external microphone and possibly the .cal file. Looking back at the posts, the strange thing for me is that I see very extreme measurement curves with huge dB swings. I had it last year on an Umik1 microphone and a MiniDSP with Dirac, and I didn't measure anything nearly as rough there. By the way, at that time, the use of the remote control microphone was also suggested for Pro Plus. Will nothing come of it? It can also be suitable for a measurement between 20 Hz-5 kHz in the RC (in principle), and the capsules of the remote controls can be quite similar in quality.
I know using Anthem Room Control the smoother measurement is a function of averaging multiple longer sweeps in multiple locations, which WiiM is obviously not doing. I wish it were.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240813-080045.png
    Screenshot_20240813-080045.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I know using Anthem Room Control the smoother measurement is a function of averaging multiple longer sweeps in multiple locations, which WiiM is obviously not doing. I wish it were.

I'll just note that the Ultra's room correction has resulted in an improvement to the playback quality in my room. This is with not being able to get my EMC8000 microphone to work with the WiiM app on my Samsung S22 and having to use the phone's built-in microphone. I did find that removing the protective case from the phone before running correction helped improve things a lot.

Is there more work to be done and can the results be further improved? Certainly. However, I'm very happy with the improvements I've seen so far and look forward to more refinement.

Last edited:
At least not yet. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

You can still do it manually, of course, using external measuring devices.

Is android RC still in beta?
I assume not, as I didn't join the scheme, and it's on my Home app without asking for it.

Update from me: I still don't see a new release that will fix the LG issue, it's not a problem though as I've got the S23 working fine. Ultimately, I tamed the profile somewhat that I got from the Dayton mic, and the system does sound good. No idea if it's "correct" but it's enjoyable, plenty of subtle low bass thump without any boom and a nice detailed presentation. Not sure I even need the USB-C version of the Dayton mic, though will be interesting to see if throws up similar extreme EQ profiles.

I assume not, as I didn't join the scheme, and it's on my Home app without asking for it.

Update from me: I still don't see a new release that will fix the LG issue, it's not a problem though as I've got the S23 working fine. Ultimately, I tamed the profile somewhat that I got from the Dayton mic, and the system does sound good. No idea if it's "correct" but it's enjoyable, plenty of subtle low bass thump without any boom and a nice detailed presentation. Not sure I even need the USB-C version of the Dayton mic, though will be interesting to see if throws up similar extreme EQ profiles.
If it’s enjoyable, it’s correct :)

Indeed, that is exactly my philosophy these days. Hifi is about enjoying music, not trying to be an exact replica of the recording studio.
How do you know that you would not enjoy the music even more if it were more accurately reproduced? And hi-fi is short for high fidelity, with all that that implies.

Back