Beta Test: Room Correction for Android

sorry if this has been asked before but how is the EQ function on the Wiim Amp compensating for positive (boosted) frequencies?
In my experience of other EQ functions, if you boost any frequency, you must lower the pre-gain by the same amount in order to not clip / distort the output.
I am not hearing any volume decrease when I boost a frequency in the Wiim app, so is it just allowing clipping or is there some hidden headroom?
the question has been asked and has been asked on wiim since the arrival of gec mode...in 2022...
,-)
(the first attempt was the use of an energetic drc at -1db to avoid "num" clipping that the chip of the dac of the mini and pro offered.... ended up being withdrawn...)

Last edited:
sorry if this has been asked before but how is the EQ function on the Wiim Amp compensating for positive (boosted) frequencies?
In my experience of other EQ functions, if you boost any frequency, you must lower the pre-gain by the same amount in order to not clip / distort the output.
I am not hearing any volume decrease when I boost a frequency in the Wiim app, so is it just allowing clipping or is there some hidden headroom?
To save you searching yourself as per the previous rather unhelpful response, I set the volume limit as per this advice - hopefully WiiM will offer similar calculations at some point in their app on the PEQ page

Post in thread 'PEQ talk'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/peq-talk.1500/post-27059

I use the Tonebooster plugin with the UAPP music app on my phone, and has an auto gain cut to compensate for any eq boost. I know you can manually make same adjustment in Roon too, so you'd hope it's already built in to the RC process.

I use the Tonebooster plugin with the UAPP music app on my phone, and has an auto gain cut to compensate for any eq boost. I know you can manually make same adjustment in Roon too, so you'd hope it's already built in to the RC process.
I don’t see any evidence of that in WiiM’s RC process tbh

I have always assumed thus:
Perversion is a form of human behavior which deviates from what is considered to be orthodox or normal, marked by a disposition to oppose and contradict

perverted: showing or appealing to bizarre or deviant tastes, usually of sexual connotation.

I was being polite and didn't wish to presume. 🙂
incorrect

To save you searching yourself as per the previous rather unhelpful response, I set the volume limit as per this advice - hopefully WiiM will offer similar calculations at some point in their app on the PEQ page

Post in thread 'PEQ talk'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/peq-talk.1500/post-27059

Interesting thanks, so if your biggest boost is 6db, just don't go over 90 on the volume and you shouldnt clip.

Maybe the easiest solution for Wiim would be to set a volume limit automatically after RC so the perceived volume after RC doesnt change but the max volume does.

Last edited:
Ok so you run the sweep and then you see the spinning circle to calculate. Does the software does the calculation or it goes to wiim server for calculation?

After 7 attempts, I was finally able to get a result that didn't look like a 7.0 seismic event.
Does anyone have experience using a USB external (wired) microphone on an Android phone? I understand most phone mics are garbage for use in applying room correction and was wondering if I could improve the input source.

Last edited:
After 7 attempts, I was finally able to get a result that didn't look a 7.0 seismic event.
Does anyone have experience using a USB external (wired) microphone on an Android phone? I understand most phone mics are garbage for use in applying room correction and was wondering if I could improve the input source.
Yes there people using Anthem (me), Umik, and IMM-6 USB mics successfully here.

Yes there people using Anthem (me), Umik, and IMM-6 USB mics successfully here.
Thanks for pointing me towards the Dayton Audio IMM-6. More research is warranted.
The other two options appear to be further down the rabbit hole than I'm willing to crawl.

Thanks for pointing me towards the Dayton Audio IMM-6. More research is warranted.
The other two options appear to be further down the rabbit hole than I'm willing to crawl.
May I offer some advice, if your phone has a headphone / mic jack the buy the vanilla iMM-6. If it doesn't, and you only have a USB C port, then you'll need the iMM-6C which has a built in ADC. Of course, there are USB-C ADC dongles for £little bit it's just yet another thing to keep safe in a drawer in a place where you hopefully won't forget where you put it in months, maybe years hence after you've changed your listening room around or bought new kit.

May I offer some advice, if your phone has a headphone / mic jack the buy the vanilla iMM-6. If it doesn't, and you only have a USB C port, then you'll need the iMM-6C which has a built in ADC. Of course, there are USB-C ADC dongles for £little bit it's just yet another thing to keep safe in a drawer in a place where you hopefully won't forget where you put it in months, maybe years hence after you've changed your listening room around or bought new kit.
Kyocera Duraforce Ultra 5G
Headphone jack ✅
USB C port ✅
SD Card storage ✅
I'm all set. Thanks for the insight.

...but with a .cal calibration file, the measurement would theoretically be even more accurate...! ;-)
You might want to read this (and join the debate)

TLDR: "Before you hit the buy button, let me talk about calibration. Both the UMM-6 and UMIK-1 come with a serial number that you type online and it gives you a (supposedly) a calibration file to use with REW. My recommendation is to not bother! Yes, you heard me right. You don’t need a calibrated mic and these files themselves can be faulty. The difference between calibrated and non-calibrated mics is small and it is in a region that I suggest you use your ear, not an instrument, to adjust the sound."

so has it been determined yet that it's even worth purchasing and using a calibration mic like the imm6, or is it just as effective to use your phone with the case off.. eg. Samsung s23?

so has it been determined yet that it's even worth purchasing and using a calibration mic like the imm6, or is it just as effective to use your phone with the case off.. eg. Samsung s23?
External mics will more accurately measure low bass. Worth it is a judgement call but I would say yes since bass is where room correction is most appropriate and effective.

I concluded earlier that a Dayton or similar was necessary if using an S23. For <£30 it's an easy decision, but get the C version so you don't have to buy extra dongles.

Back