Fun with Visualizations

Thanks.
I may have issues getting a driver that works but I guess that is part of the challenge.
No driver required on Linux, including Raspberry Pi, or supposedly Windoze and Mac.

No driver required on Linux, including Raspberry Pi, or supposedly Windoze and Mac.
I believe the Linux claim from the manufacturers but I suspect drivers will be required on Windows to get beyond 16/48. Might order one though.

I managed to speed up the display performance of the RPi 3A+ by simply enabling Glamor in raspi-config / Advanced settings. Screen refreshing at nearly 30 Fps now vs about 8 before the change, and CPU usage is way down, as well. The bars are extremely responsive now. No idea what it's doing under the covers, but it definitely speeds up pygame.

Last edited:
Hi cc_rider,

are you planning to share your code for this on github as you have done with your other Wiim display projects ?

Thanks
Hi
I have seen this on internet a display for Volumio with peppy meter. I am a novice as far as coding is concerned. Can someone help implement this on WIIM

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 40
Spent a bit more time with the pyvisualizer code. Boy, is it a mess! But, managed to get a decent viz, will now attempt to replace his Roon class with a WiiM class. Stay tuned.

Spent a bit more time with the pyvisualizer code. Boy, is it a mess! But, managed to get a decent viz, will now attempt to replace his Roon class with a WiiM class. Stay tuned.

I am desperately in love with this picoreplayer display. Can someone help me implement this in light weight Javascript that can be run independently on browser. The album art and other information can be obtained from WIIM and Vu needles can be fed audioContext using microphone. I have searched a lot, and I got information in bits but don't have the expertise combine this in one flawless display running in any browser, so that I can connect it to may TV. Please Help

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 22
I am desperately in love with this picoreplayer display. Can someone help me implement this in light weight Javascript that can be run independently on browser. The album art and other information can be obtained from WIIM and Vu needles can be fed audioContext using microphone. I have searched a lot, and I got information in bits but don't have the expertise combine this in one flawless display running in any browser, so that I can connect it to may TV. Please Help
This is very easy to integrate into your HTML page. It's a highly configurable spectrum analyzer, no VU meters. As you say, it works fine with the "microphone" being a toslink split cable from the WiiM into the USB adapter.

Example on my Chromebox:

Screenshot 2024-08-21 1.59.12 PM.png

As this is a web page, it's also easy to display it on a Google Nest Hub - simply cast the tab...

Same for any TV that supports Chromecast.

This is very easy to integrate into your HTML page. It's a highly configurable spectrum analyzer, no VU meters. As you say, it works fine with the "microphone" being a toslink split cable from the WiiM into the USB adapter.

Example on my Chromebox:

View attachment 10686
Sir, first of all I really appreciate you for sparing time for me and provide detailed reply. Secondly, the view you have attached is really beautiful and desirable. But the matter is a bit complex for me as I have a very low processing android TV box (Mi Box 4) attached to my TV playing Kiwi browser with wiimview extension (wiimview-kiwi.zip) for display. I cannot install any package on it. So, far I am happy with the result. But just want to make things a little bit neat like the image you have shared and something in the same extension that can listen to TV box mic (no physical connection) and display vu or spectrum as the music plays. It should be a complete package that I can attach as an extension of kiwi browser, the only decent browser supported by my TV Box. I would be highly obliged I you could help me achieve this. I know it's a big ask but I hope that you wouldn't mind as we share the same passion for music.

Well, the audiomotion-analyzer script does work on my low-resource RPi 3A+, but chromium-browser sure sucks CPU cycles. It also needs to be clicked on to get it to animate. Probably a way around it in the Chrome settings, but this is just too heavy to continue development on my lowly Pi. The pygame stuff is clearly the better option. The animation doesn't work at all on the Kiwi browser, which probably doesn't support webaudio.

IMG_2766.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, working as a Kiwi extension. Tested under ChromeOS/Android VM, and an Android tablet. Be sure to give Kiwi permissions to use the microphone in Android settings under Media.

Be sure to completely remove the old Kiwi extension, then set the WiiM's IP address in the extension options again. Might need to restart the browser again. as well.

Screenshot 2024-08-23 1.21.13 PM.png

Last edited:
OK, working as a Kiwi extension. Tested under ChromeOS/Android VM, and an Android tablet. Be sure to give Kiwi permissions to use the microphone in Android settings under Media.

Be sure to completely remove the old Kiwi extension, then set the WiiM's IP address in the extension options again. Might need to restart the browser again. as well.

View attachment 10792
Since I am unable to implement this on my TV box and I just wanted to beautify the right side. So can you please center align and highlight track information and add progress bar in wiim kiwi extension like the attached files

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240825_202306_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_202306_Chrome.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 13
Since I am unable to implement this on my TV box and I just wanted to beautify the right side. So can you please center align and highlight track information and add progress bar in wiim kiwi extension like the attached files
Sorry, I do this for me, not for you. Feel free to modify the code any way you wish.

Last edited:
As the VU backgrounds are .jpg files, it's simple to swap them out.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 5.45.14 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-25 5.30.08 PM.png

Reactions: Ian
Mucking about with some of the included vintage meter faces, removing pointers and correcting the needle length. Need to polish my CSS skills a lot, these vintage meters might look good on a brushed aluminum faceplate...

...and some CSS gradient background and a fancier font...

Blue and gold go well together, IMO.

1724718788404.png

OK, I'm officially tired of mucking about with CSS. Can't imagine making a living with this stuff; I'm a (pretty poor) coder, not a visual design guy, clearly, lol. Anyhow, the WiiM Chrome extension with working vintage VU meters (wiim-vu) is attached to the first post over here. Configuration is the same as usual, but additionally it needs permission to use your microphone, which, in my case, is a Toslink-to-usb adapter. A microphone also works, of course, but the levels will likely be low, so the meters won't move much.

It works on Chrome, and on Kiwi, at least in the Android VM of my Chromebox; no idea if it will work in Kiwi on an Android set-top box.

Here's a demo, with some cool CSS buttons I stole... er, borrowed from the web.

Back to Python. Good progress, just need to get the proper VU damping in place so the needles move more slowly.

IMG_2793.jpg

Last edited:
Wrote my first code in Python last week. A Plex ratings exporter. Guess tools exist but building it yourself is more fun. Probably will try to improve it a bit further. Don't get to do much/any tech anymore. Def can join the terrible coder club 😅

Back