good CD choice

stry8458

What do you thinks a good CD player companion for the Wimm amp??? nothing too fancy but with either optical out or HDMI arc out..
ARC out is for music too, no??

What do you thinks a good CD player companion for the Wimm amp??? nothing too fancy but with either optical out or HDMI arc out..
Sorry, no direct suggestions, but the responses will range from get whatever you like as its a digital output, to the quality of the transport does indeed matter.
Find one you like the look / price of ;)

This was discussed a bit in a thread called something like 'why do cd transports cost so much'.
Try a search.

In that case an inexpensive DVD or Blu-Ray player might meet your needs. I use my BluRay player these days, but then I don't have Golden Ears.

(I'm off to find my tin hat now).

Audiolab CDT6000... if you prefer a drawer for loading then Cambridge CXC...
I don't want to start a discussion about 0/1 playback... i leave it to the flat-earthers.
I had many transports in my hifi life, including expensive top loaders from different high end manufacturers and since 2020 i happily use the Audiolab. Good error correction and flawless playback. I feed it into my Lyngdorf using a true 75 ohm Canare RCAP/Belden 1694A coax...
The Shanling ET3 looks also promising and is quite new in the market... interesting top loader with lots of connectivity and a good transport...

At the low end, consider either Sony or Panasonic Blu-ray players. Most of them do CDs also and have optical and HDMI out. Best Buy sells them, so you can look at them on their website.

I have not found a current generation DVD or Bluray player with an optical output to feed into a WiiM. So you'll likely need to purchase a coax (out) to optical converter if you go this route.

Additionally I have not seen an current generation player with a display. This may not be an issue for you.

I solved this problem by purchasing an minty 10 year old Panasonic Blueray player which has an optical output and a display.

I have not found a current generation DVD or Bluray player with an optical output to feed into a WiiM. So you'll likely need to purchase a coax (out) to optical converter if you go this route.

Additionally I have not seen an current generation player with a display. This may not be an issue for you.

I solved this problem by purchasing an minty 10 year old Panasonic Blueray player which has an optical output and a display.
Easy to pick up old ones or even an Xbox

Buy any vintage cd player on ebay that meets your needs, they mostly still play cds just fine, have more features than any of the current gen players, and usually also have both rca and optical outputs.

How fast is it reading the disc's TOC? How long does it take to start actual playback from then and how fast is skipping tracks?

All the DVD and Blu-ray players I have tried didn't excell in these areas and didn't seem 100% reliable.

Is your 's different from that?

Can I ask why people are buying Blu-ray players when used cd players are available, I paid under $30 for my cd player, it reads the TOC in under 2 secs (faster than any blu-ray) offers optical and rca, and subcode output, and has neat features like dimming the display, and various edit modes.

How fast is it reading the disc's TOC? How long does it take to start actual playback from then and how fast is skipping tracks?

All the DVD and Blu-ray players I have tried didn't excell in these areas and didn't seem 100% reliable.

Is that really a problem? Take 30 seconds or a minute who cares?

I need to measure it, but it is definitely not as fast as a CD player. By the time I walk back to my listening chair and sit down, the CD is playing. Track skipping speed seems fine to me but it is not instantaneous.

A CD player is definitely better than a DVD/Bluray player for playing CDs if you want quicker responsiveness, the classic CD functions, a built in display, and optical and digital outputs.

When I was looking I could find only used CD changers. The ones I saw for sale were anlog output only, no optical output.

YMMV.

Rip your cd's to a harddrive an play from network. If you are serious about playing cd's I wouldn't use the Wiim amp. A serious transport will cost you three WIIM AMPs. It is totally not price appropriate.

Back