My Ultra tests

Usually it is worse on optical the waveform is less square! I don’t know if we can directly compare
(
but despite everything, in the case of pro-plus, I would be tempted to only use toslink at less than 96k/24...:oops:
)

but let's let onlyoneme talk about the ultra.... the subject ;-)

A new graph added.
can I say what I was expressing...the ""-115db sinad 1k"" family from few years... for a while we have, in ASR mode, the -123db family... etc ;-)
(not a judgment on my part...just an observation)

but
50hz and f*2 100hz, f*3 etc.. aie :confused:
(we're going to say ...."pre-series"....)

Last edited:
Even though the WiiM Pro's output will cause 0 issues at all, the Ultra's signal is as clean as you'd want it to be.

Great point.

Measurements are obviously important - if you can hear something you can measure it.

But the opposite isn’t true - just because you can measure something, doesn’t mean you can hear it.

You can get a thermometer which will measure to 1/100th of a degree, but if it measures the temperature in your room going down from 22°c to 21.99°c, that doesn’t mean you’ll be reaching for your jumper. :ROFLMAO:

Once I get my hands on ultra I will listen carefully if there’s any improvements on the system I have which I have pro as streamer connected to smsl do200 mkii doing the conversation and preamp. DO200 uses dual ess 9068 and 5 opa on analog stage.

Why would there need to be? Just because earlier models did doesn’t mean this will, and perhaps the delay in bringing it to market was down to more diligent pre production tests and the work done by early beta testers?
Do you have ultra as well?

I've said it before people need to stop fixating on this revision number blabla 😅

Although it's still pretty early, currently there's 0 reason why we'd need a new revision.

It's going to be a long time process, but I will try to add a new content periodically. Everything based on the pre prod device which is PCB ver 2 unit.

Just one thing at the beginning, a comparison of the waveforms over the digital coax output, tested with the oscilloscope and 192 kHz sample rate test signal, and terminated at 75 ohms.

This is for the Ultra:

View attachment 8954

And this is for the Pro/Plus:

View attachment 8955

Ideal and perfect waveforms would show rectangles. In the real world it should be as close as possible to the ideal one.
Once I get my hands on ultra I will listen carefully if there’s any improvements on the system I have which I have pro as streamer connected to smsl do200 mkii doing the conversation and preamp. DO200 uses dual ess 9068 and 5 opa on analog stage.
I look forward for your report on that !

Just curious, is the adapter supplied with ucx II? On RME site it doesn't look so good, could a better one does the job even at 192khz?
No, it's my own cable. Can you provide the link to RME one?

Edit: I forgot that I use neutrik coax to AES converter since some time.

Last edited:
Ok, you've meant breakout cables. They have to be used as some RME devices have d-sub rear socket for all digital inputs.
I use AES socket provided by this breakout cable also for 75 ohm coaxial transmission.

it may simply be in progress....
( brantome is generally well informed :cool: :
Post in thread 'My Ultra tests' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-ultra-tests.3964/post-62994
)
the rest of the observations on this pcb2 from onlyoneme will certainly be interesting...
;-)
There’s nothing “in progress” that I’m aware of, but again, I wouldn’t necessarily know. I do agree that some are fixating on history rather than focussing on what the Ultra offers. Speculation on future PCB revisions when there’s no evidence of a need for such is pointless

Back