My Ultra tests

It’s up to individual if they go objective or subjective. ASR vs individual reviewer like cheap audio man, Andrew Robinson and darko. I look both ways.

I like Darko’s presentation skills, and can filter out the odd time he wanders off into audiofoolspeak. Randy similar - I like watching his videos - but he often wanders off into nonsense.

Andrew Robinson must have the smuggest face on the smuggest reviewer on the internet. His comments are occasionally ridiculous, regularly condescending, rarely less than interesting. He reminds me of a slinky.

Amir’s reviews at ASR are always informative and edifying. You only have to look at some others’ presentation of measurements to see that’s not easy to take complex issues and make them understandable. Ditto Erin.

Obviously, everyone will have a different approach and it’s nice that we have a choice.

I like Darko’s presentation skills, and can filter out the odd time he wanders off into audiofoolspeak. Randy similar - I like watching his videos - but he often wanders off into nonsense.

Andrew Robinson must have the smuggest face on the smuggest reviewer on the internet. His comments are occasionally ridiculous, regularly condescending, rarely less than interesting. He reminds me of a slinky.

Amir’s reviews at ASR are always informative and edifying. You only have to look at some others’ presentation of measurements to see that’s not easy to take complex issues and make them understandable. Ditto Erin.

Obviously, everyone will have a different approach and it’s nice that we have a choice.
Some of these reviewers made YouTube their full time job without leaving home to work to someone.

Or, maybe, the screen is powered off but the digitizer remains on.
That’s the issue… it would be nice to have an option (perhaps on the app) to shut off the screen and its driving circuits. That would cancel a source of RF noise. I suggested this via ‘feedback’.

Last edited:
Nowadays most of the simple measurements for this category of equipment touches things potentially inaudible. So from my perspective there are 2 things to investigate - a presence of serious issues and answering the question "does the Ultra measure better than the Pro Plus", as this is the successor. A quick answer for the latter question without the detailed explanation would be "not always"
Enlighten us ….

(out of curiosity...is the machine silent or a little physically noisy?)

sorry I did not understand :oops:
(an observation with just an fft app with phone, in few seconds , like spectroid etc, in proximity or hyper proximite etc can be very informative...the ears of many can be "tired" etc.)

Last edited:
sorry I did not understand :oops:
(an observation with just an fft app with phone, in few seconds , like spectroid etc, in proximity or hyper proximite etc can be very informative...the ears of many can be "tired" etc.)

The device is so quiet that it can be described as "silent". No noticeable response was observed when the microphone was brought close to the device.

The device is so quiet that it can be described as "silent". No noticeable response was observed when the microphone was brought close to the device.
ok
(ps it is a method, free and fast, that can be very useful in many cases... allows you to target sibilants etc. that some do not perceive, no longer perceive ....tubes, power supplies etc...I taught it to elderly friends, sometimes providing them with great service )

Last edited:
you can just place the phone on top just internal microphone with a little foam between the two.... ;-)
(with screen on vs off?)
;-)
Would this video be helpful?
The noise in the room is very loud. Sorry for not being able to film it well. 😅
View attachment 9060
(my point more to point out a funny approach that can be useful in diagnostics etc. of some of our free apps for our powerful phones)

A quick question for those with an Ultra.

How warm does it get?

I’m thinking of stacking a Topping PA5 ii on top, and I like to protect my amps from heat as much as possible.

Many thanks.

Back