My Ultra tests

IMD distortion on the analog RCA outputs compared to the pro+ would be really interesting.

Also, the SINAD of the digital volume control set at -20 dB through electrical spdif out on both Ultra and pro+ would be an interesting comparison.

The WiiM pro+ ( latest version ) is already topclass on this ( and much better than bluesound ) , but maybe there is further improvements with the ultra ?

Last edited:
IMD distortion on the analog RCA outputs compared to the pro+ would be really interesting.

Also, the SINAD of the digital volume control set at -20 dB through electrical spdif out on both Ultra and pro+ would be an interesting comparison.

The WiiM pro+ ( latest version ) is already topclass on this ( and much better than bluesound ) , but maybe there is further improvements with the ultra ?

Thread 'My WiiM Pro Plus (+) tests' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-wiim-pro-plus-tests.1235/

Thread 'My WiiM Pro Plus 2nd sample test' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-wiim-pro-plus-2nd-sample-test.1580/

or amp review etc

don't worry, onlyone can do this kind of very complete thing for you (you might be able to slip in a few more approaches ;-)
thd/n vs frequency at -20 or -60db ... not difficult (or same with multitones nid or ap32 etc)

Last edited:
Ok, thx, so missed it.
A bit weird way to control it, but you were right.
Still needs to be an option in the app, with perhaps a mode to stay off until a track or volume change I.e. appear for a few seconds, then fade off again. Think this was mentioned during the beta trials, but I’ll raise it again as a feature request

ps: can the screen be turned off? (its refresh rate?)

I thought this might be misleading, so I will add this.

You can turn off the screen, but this is like sleep on a phone. Therefore, touching the screen will turn it on again. At the moment it is not possible to shut down the screen power.

I thought this might be misleading, so I will add this.

You can turn off the screen, but this is like sleep on a phone. Therefore, touching the screen will turn it on again. At the moment it is not possible to shut down the screen power.
I don’t think that’s undesirable behaviour tbh - if you had turned the screen off no matter where, then touching it should allow you to see it again as it’d be frustrating to then have to use the app to turn it on again surely?

Still needs to be an option in the app, with perhaps a mode to stay off until a track or volume change I.e. appear for a few seconds, then fade off again. Think this was mentioned during the beta trials, but I’ll raise it again as a feature request
Ideally I think that should be configurable per source. For example I'd like to have the album art on display while streaming music (or even a combo art + miniature VUs) but I would want the screen to be off (or go very dim) when watching TV as to avoid light pollution since it will be sitting right below the TV.

I don’t think that’s undesirable behaviour tbh - if you had turned the screen off no matter where, then touching it should allow you to see it again as it’d be frustrating to then have to use the app to turn it on again surely?
Of course. I never said it was undesirable.
But since the questioner is @canard, I just read too much into the meaning of "off". 🙂

The "hills" here would require some explanation, but I'll spend some time on that a little later with my personal perspective on other measurements results which I've faced.
50Hz mains ? Looks like mains + harmonics, which could be ... unfortunate noise from the power supply or mains traces too close to audio on the PCB... Still well below -100dB and thus unlikely to actually matter unless I missed something

50Hz mains ? Looks like mains + harmonics, which could be ... unfortunate noise from the power supply or mains traces too close to audio on the PCB... Still well below -100dB and thus unlikely to actually matter unless I missed something

Spot on. As has already been said, if you can hear it you can measure it, but just because you can measure it doesn’t mean you can hear it.

Complete non sequitur.

I am quite a novice so please bear with me Ya'll - I was using a Alexa Dot to play Spotify music through a whole house Hub and Keypads with amps - decided to move up especially for my Patio speakers which are BnW AM-1 speakers.
Using a Monoprice Class D 2 channel amp and a Wiim Pro (got rid of the Alexa Dot and not using the keypad amp and instead the line out of the keypad which allows for external amp ) and music quality jumped many folds.
The only problem I have is I am having too much Hiss from my speakers even through I reduced the gain of the amp to half.
I ordered a Wiim Ultra which is arriving on Tuesday - should I expect improvement in reduction of Hiss as the Ultra seems to have a lower SNR ratio than the Pro?
Next would be to experiment with different amps as my amp is surely a culprit in this also.

Nowadays most of the simple measurements for this category of equipment touches things potentially inaudible. So from my perspective there are 2 things to investigate - a presence of serious issues and answering the question "does the Ultra measure better than the Pro Plus", as this is the successor. A quick answer for the latter question without the detailed explanation would be "not always".

Let say you did 10 different measurements between the two and ultra did 8 out of 10 better measurements than pro plus on the following snr, sinand, etc. Thanks for taking the time doing the measurements.

Nowadays most of the simple measurements for this category of equipment touches things potentially inaudible. So from my perspective there are 2 things to investigate - a presence of serious issues and answering the question "does the Ultra measure better than the Pro Plus", as this is the successor. A quick answer for the latter question without the detailed explanation would be "not always".
no impact, in mesureaments if the screen is on or off?

Last edited:
Back