My Ultra tests

What is the sensitivity of your speaker and how many watt is your amp?
Ok. I have two systems connected to the wiim. My main TV watching system is TV via HDMI, to wiim via line out to JBL powered monitors.
The secondary system is usually used for streaming only but I have tried it with the TV via toslink and HDMI to wiim via coax out to a tube DAC then a integrated 50w/channel tube amp to JBL hdi (85db) It gets louder but can still tell it's limited by the wiim output.Its perfect if I use my tube preamp but I'd rather not burn nos tubes for regular TV

Ok. I have two systems connected to the wiim. My main TV watching system is TV via HDMI, to wiim via line out to JBL powered monitors.
The secondary system is usually used for streaming only but I have tried it with the TV via toslink and HDMI to wiim via coax out to a tube DAC then a integrated 50w/channel tube amp to JBL hdi (85db) It gets louder but can still tell it's limited by the wiim output.Its perfect if I use my tube preamp but I'd rather not burn nos tubes for regular TV
I see, I had amp which rated 80 watt a channel powering the Polk legend power hungry 4 ohms and low sensitivity. Using ultra on that amp wasn’t loud as I push the volume it just clip the amp and produce distortion. Enter 450 watt a channel with high input sensitivity would drive the speaker very loud and listening that kind of loudness would cause hearing loss. The bottleneck on your system if you want loud is go higher power especially that low sensitivity speaker.

I see, I had amp which rated 80 watt a channel powering the Polk legend power hungry 4 ohms and low sensitivity. Using ultra on that amp wasn’t loud as I push the volume it just clip the amp and produce distortion. Enter 450 watt a channel with high input sensitivity would drive the speaker very loud and listening that kind of loudness would cause hearing loss. The bottleneck on your system if you want loud is go higher power especially that low sensitivity speaker.
What 450 watt amp do you have?

So , extra grounded the SINAD for the Ultra is 113 dB instead of 110 dB ?
Its getting better :)
except that it makes no sense...this a class 2 machine ...without earth......

Last edited:
Any difference in the PSU nose is used with any power conditioning?

rew (usa) ..thd IEEE OU IEC ? ;-)
very important in this case....(?) :cool:

Last edited:
My experience on power conditioner was it limit the current it delivered on amp causing amp to restrict dynamic. I have yet to see conditioner that don’t limit power.

My experience on power conditioner was it limit the current it delivered on amp causing amp to restrict dynamic. I have yet to see conditioner that don’t limit power.
I agree my amps are direct. The critical low noise components with pretty steady power requirements do well. Just depends

Many devices has their built noise supresant and adding more would have detrimental effect. Just simple power strip and straight to the wall.

Back