My Ultra tests

Please, consider stopping the discussion here for a minute. You're not doing the community a favour and we are not going to elect a winner.

You both made your point more or less clear. There is no chance for you to reach common ground. Why not just leave it that way?

This remind me like politics where different ideologies lead to arguments till someone stop them.

@Steve Woodhouse I agree with what you said those 4K make sense if you sit close so does 8k but the so called retina clarity won’t count if sit further. It was only wow factor to me if I sit close but bet are off if sit far.

The big issue that many of us have is that there’s always an idea abroad in hi-fi-land that “if it costs more it must be better”.

And despite all the knowledge we’ve gained over the last few decades, despite all the testing, publishing, peer-reviewing, re-testing, etc., despite the fact that we know what amount of distortion and noise we can and can’t hear, and the fact that we’ve now got DACs measuring well within those limits costing $100, there are people who simply refuse to believe that a $10,000 won’t sound better.

And it’s just like video. In 20 years time we’ll have 16k screens for €100, and people will still insist they can tell the difference - spot more detail - on their 64k screen, just because it cost them $10,000.

And they’ll laugh. And scorn. And post emoticons. Because they have no other argument. Just “You’re an idiot if you think €100 can get you the same level of detail as $10,000.”

Anyone measure the line out voltage? I have a hard time believing it really is a full 2v.

Anyone measure the line out voltage? I have a hard time believing it really is a full 2v.
Specs rated 2.1v. I know it’s true because with just few click the volume is super loud. I had to lower mine to 800mv. It depends how high of gain is your amp.

Reactions: pbr
Specs rated 2.1v. I know it’s true because with just few click the volume is super loud. I had to lower mine to 800mv. It depends how high of gain is your amp.
My marantz av line out was 2v. It drove my powered studio monitors noticably louder than the wiim line out at "2.1v" does.

"Round 2 - output signal voltage
The Pro Plus real output voltage level is 1.973 Vrms for both channels, for sine 1 kHz at 96 kHz. For the Pro it's slightly unbalanced 2.012 for the left channel and 2.006 for the right channel. Values measured with a multimeter."

Maybe the same is true for Ultra.

My marantz av line out was 2v. It drove my powered studio monitors noticably louder than the wiim line out at "2.1v" does.
That would depend on the source signal amplitude. Presumably the output voltage is 2.1V when the input is a full scale sine wave. Which input are you using?

Yes 100%. It's just loud enough to enjoy Godzilla via HDMI or toslink in with the family but when I'm watching how I want it's not loud enough.
If you have an HDMI connection to a TV, Please changing the TV's digital output setting to PCM may increase the volume; Ultra supports Dolby Audio and can receive bitstream signals, but the volume may be lower with bitstream.

I don’t know why you say it wasn’t loud. Maybe the amp input gain is low mine is high plus combine with ultra high gain out you will freak your soul. 1v on ultra is too loud as well 5 click on remote from mute would cause damage on my speaker as my amp rated 450 a channel. I would rather pick the lowest but the tonal quality was noticeably compromised.

Was just thinking. What about DAC filters? Has anyone done a chat sheet on the effects on sound and output?

I don’t know why you say it wasn’t loud. Maybe the amp input gain is low mine is high plus combine with ultra high gain out you will freak your soul. 1v on ultra is too loud as well 5 click on remote from mute would cause damage on my speaker as my amp rated 450 a channel. I would rather pick the lowest but the tonal quality was noticeably compromised.
That's what I would expect but I'm not getting it.

Back