Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do love my dreams anyway. At least some of them, except the ones I really hate.

I've had some unexpected results recently when plugging filter results from REW into the 10 Band PEQ on the amp. I was starting to doubt my iMM-6 microphone but now I'm starting to think it was caused by the PEQ not dealing with the filter data correctly. Tonight I started by resetting the PEQ to defaults before entering the filter parameters and the result sounded right. I measured the equalised response in REW and it was pretty close to the predicted response. Now I wish I had measured the response when the result sounded completely wrong. Maybe we should always reset to defaults before entering new parameters.

I'm gonna play with PEQ setting combinations to evaluate the FR in the digital domain.
in digital looping...it is indeed quite easy to observe if it corresponds well... ;-)
(level -15db ? ;-) )

Last edited:
Hi Team,

The iOS App version 2.9.7 includes improvements to the MIC measurement and enhancements to the RC algorithm. If you're on the Beta list, please try the Room Correction feature and let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you all again for helping us to improve this feature.

Hi Team,

The iOS App version 2.9.7 includes improvements to the MIC measurement and enhancements to the RC algorithm. If you're on the Beta list, please try the Room Correction feature and let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you all again for helping us to improve this feature.
Hi !

If I 'accidentally' left beta by tapping the firmware version in the app to get the latest (newer) non beta firmware, how do I hop back onto the beta train ?

Hi !

If I 'accidentally' left beta by tapping the firmware version in the app to get the latest (newer) non beta firmware, how do I hop back onto the beta train ?
I guess submitting a ticket thru the app would be the quickest way

Hi !

Two things you can do. First, send message using wiim app. Second, post here. Two bird in one stone.

Two things you can do. First, send message using wiim app. Second, post here. Two bird in one stone.
Did both already :) WiiM fixed it very quickly (thanks !)

The new RC is definitely much better. I set it up according to the recommendations (40..4k), the result is much much more subtle and I *think* better 🤣I will do more listening tests with/without in the next few days

Did both already :) WiiM fixed it very quickly (thanks !)

The new RC is definitely much better. I set it up according to the recommendations (40..4k), the result is much much more subtle and I *think* better 🤣I will do more listening tests with/without in the next few days
I’m wondering why it can’t do full 20k. The algorithm has issue cutting beyond that point making it sound dull.

I’m wondering why it can’t do full 20k. The algorithm has issue cutting beyond that point making it sound dull.
It can still do up to 20k. Are you saying by manually restricting it to 4k, the algorithm still impacts frequencies beyond that?

From other good room correction systems most people don't go above 5K ie Anthem, change the correction change

From my REW results correction should be done . Can see where RC should be applied and to leave it

Last edited:
It can still do up to 20k. Are you saying by manually restricting it to 4k, the algorithm still impacts frequencies beyond that?
Yes, above that frequency if you do full 20k the treble will reduce in gain as much as 6db when it was set max 6db cut/gain. These are various peq range on treble region. I’m not sure if home curve or rel does the same thing.

This is my latest attempt using the moving microphone method in REW. Red is uncorrected, green corrected. I corrected up to 10kHz.

1715861351013.png

I did a quick test this morning with the improved release and initial impression is that RC has been vastly improved. Awesome work Wiim Team!

I did *not* adjust my freq settings yet - I simply retested exactly as things were to get a comparison against the old not-so-great algorithm (50hz - 20khz, Harman Curve, Max gain 6dB). In room response for my speakers (Focal Theva No1) is around 50hz, hence the seemingly arbitrary choice for low end).

As shown in the attached screen shots, MUCH improved gain choices and subjective listening was great - very solid bass response, near perfect sound staging. Verdict out on high end sparkle but that may be due to test music (Only Human by Rag n Bone, Proud by Welshly Arms) - no time right now to into classical and see how instruments sound. Will do that tonight.

Edit: forgot to ask - @WiiM Support - will there be some kind of volume level normalization in the final release? I noticed RC uses whatever volume you manually set on the Amp, which definitely seems to affect results. I’ve settled on somewhere around 2 dots on the front panel, which I guess is probably around 30%, but not really consistent unless you’re doing an external SPL calibration before running RC. I can use REW for that this weekend, but just wanted to ask if it’s a feature being considered, or if the backend algorithm is accounting for different volumes.

Attachments

• IMG_8578.jpeg
    IMG_8578.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8577.jpeg
    IMG_8577.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I did a quick test this morning with the improved release and initial impression is that RC has been vastly improved. Awesome work Wiim Team!

I did *not* adjust my freq settings yet - I simply retested exactly as things were to get a comparison against the old not-so-great algorithm (50hz - 20khz, Harman Curve, Max again 6dB). In room response for my speakers (Focal Theva No1) is around 50hz, hence the seemingly arbitrary choice for low end).

As shown in the attached screen shots, MUCH improved gain choices and subjective listening was great - very solid bass response, near perfect sound staging. Verdict out on high end sparkle but that may be due to test music (Only Human by Rag n Bone, Proud by Welshly Arms) - no time right now to into some classical and see how instruments sound. Will do that tonight.

You shouldn't be applying any boost, instead just cut peaks.

Is this full sweep to 20khz instead limiting it to 10k on setting like wiim app?
With the moving mic method you don't use a sweep. You play periodic pink noise while recording the result using the Real Time Analyser of Room EQ Wizard. It is meant to give similar results to using multiple sweeps with the microphone in different positions. It is surprising how repeatable the results are without being too concerned about microphone position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back