Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
The version they have if you sign up on Centercode is different on what we have. It has subwoofer latency adjustments that we don’t on our version.
I don’t think that’s indicative of anything other than them setting up that beta code environment with typical entries I.e. I don’t think it accurately reflects anything out in the field.

I have questions. How far away are you suppose ro be when running the room correction ? What are the 3 settings suppose to do. Flat, BK Harmon ? Which one is best? What mic is it using on the iPhone ? { Excuse the amateur in me}

Hi @WiiM Team,

It would be great to understand whether you are working on enabling the use of a external USB-C mic for Android users. If this is the case and if you're already working with a given mic, we could already purchase it and start doing some room correction tests with e.g. REW in order to have a benchmark to compare with WiiM's RC performance.

I do not feel like buying a microphone now that will not be compatible with WiiM software in the future.

Thanks!

Hi @WiiM Team,

It would be great to understand whether you are working on enabling the use of a external USB-C mic for Android users. If this is the case and if you're already working with a given mic, we could already purchase it and start doing some room correction tests with e.g. REW in order to have a benchmark to compare with WiiM's RC performance.

I do not feel like buying a microphone now that will not be compatible with WiiM software in the future.

Thanks!
It is much cheaper to just borrow an iPhone from a friend for the initial room correction setup. As the calculated PEQ values will be stored on the device, you can afterwards use the room correction settings when playing music from your Android phone.

Latest version using app 2.9.7 is considerably better than last weeks. Out the box you get a much better sound far less muffled (IOS) however I’ll do more testing tomorrow. I’m facing issues with the Wife complaining about the noise each time I do a test so testing is on hold for the evening. One thing that would be useful is being able to gauge what kind of volume levels should be used. Different levels give different results. Decided to test using ‘normal’ listening comfortable listening levels.
In the REW measurement tutorial by Julian Krause (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1bSSL8tRA) you calibrate sound levels to 75db with a noise sample before making measurements (it is quite loud and not applicable in the night). I would try to replicate that before doing the room correction measurements with the WiiM app.

It is much cheaper to just borrow an iPhone from a friend for the initial room correction setup. As the calculated PEQ values will be stored on the device, you can afterwards use the room correction settings when playing music from your Android phone.
As an Android user, I guess we may end up requiring a external calibrated mic to do the job. I doubt there is a good way of getting standardized measurements with the huge variety of mics and implementations in Android devices. DA IMM-6c, for example, is cheap enough for the task and I would not need a friend to be around everytime I want to play with RC.

It's a workaround, kind of acceptable at best. It would leave us where other (more upmarket, admittedly) manufacturers have been about 8 years ago.

Moving or adding furniture will require a new measurement. Moving the loudspeakers will require a new measurement. Changing the crossover frequency or delay settings between mains and sub will require a new measurement. (The current RC beta does not support subwoofers, but this is going to be an issue as soon as it does.)

I'm confident that WiiM will add a better solution for the tinkering Android crowd in the future.

I'm confident that WiiM will add a better solution for the tinkering Android crowd in the future.
I guess the only solution will be that WiiM will have to provide a cheap but usable microphone for RC with the device. One way could be to incorporate a sufficiently good and standardized microphone into the remote.

I guess the only solution will be that WiiM will have to provide a cheap but usable microphone for RC with the device. One way could be to incorporate a sufficiently good and standardized microphone into the remote.
They could also be supporting 3rd party mics (should be relatively easy with USB mics) and the upload of calibrations files.

I will sit back and wait and use REW and my UMIK-1 for now.

Testing the iphone 15 mic and imm6 with housecurve i get the same results more or less especially after multiple measurements. I am lucky that my speakers response fits in harman curve as is at 95% volume with no eq. The reason I am saying this , is that iphone mics can be accurate with proper compensation

Well, possibly. But only if WiiM starts supporting USB mics at all on the Android platform.

Using any 3rd party measuring software on my phone would not really be beneficial if I can use the fully featured and fully trusted REW suite on my computer. Setting the PEQ filters is a manual process in both cases.

Well, possibly. But only if WiiM starts supporting USB mics at all on the Android platform.

Using any 3rd party measuring software on my phone would not really be beneficial if I can use the fully featured and fully trusted REW suite on my computer. Setting the PEQ filters is a manual process in both cases.
Even if WiiM do support Room Correction on Android I am not sure what benefit it will bring over REW.

Even if WiiM do support Room Correction on Android I am not sure what benefit it will bring over REW.
REW is not precisely user friendly (GUI is really poor). Another benefit is automatic EQ profiles based on the room measurement with the click of a button. I think this is a huge advantage for many users.

... GUI is really poor ...
I don't agree at all.

The GUI is absolutely appropriate. It's just that the program is intended for much broader use and requires quite a bit of knowledge and/or presents a steep learning curve. Nothing to do with bad UI design.

This is exactly where an automated RC process has it's benefits (if it manages to deliver good results).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back