Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am, by God not known as fan from the Amp. But this mixup of crude questions and statements are at least confused 😉

In addition, there is no algorithm for processing multipoint measurements (as in SW) and it is impossible to work with the subwoofer channel (2.1)
Where do you get your info? It does work with the subwoofer channel. Why would it not?

Since the room correction is finally released to the public, I immediately did some measurements. The weird thing is that I get different results when measuring multiple times. Another issue is that it's applying massive corrections, like +10 dB and -10 dB. Is this due to the placement of the speakers, the speakers themselves, or both?

View attachment 8251
Don’t get too technical on how wiim does its magic but what important is how do you like the sound after RC? I got both pro and amp updated to latest version. The beta RC was disappointing but the official was great. I don’t listen without RC enable. Karen carpenter never sounded this before. Wiim team are not smart but also affordable that most us can afford. In fact, I listen more on my system than ever before. I may have buy stock if they go public to sell them.

Since the room correction is finally released to the public, I immediately did some measurements. The weird thing is that I get different results when measuring multiple times. Another issue is that it's applying massive corrections, like +10 dB and -10 dB. Is this due to the placement of the speakers, the speakers themselves, or both?
Of course, measurement of any sort has uncertainty so it would be interesting to know the imprecision of repeated RCs under exactly the same conditions. If it is significant then it would make sense to apply the average of several repeats at each EQ level.

wiim will soon run out features to give us and the excitement would fade away. The best features to me was bit perfect, balanced between right and left, peq and RC.

I take it there is no protection against clipping?
and there is a problem with the microphone, you can’t use an iPhone for this
Protection against clipping is an essential part of the process and, in my opinion, Wiim should have a pre gain option on the PEQ by now.
The iPhone/iPad microphones are usable, but it is far from an ideal solution. Wiim have stated they will add support for USB-C microphones in the near future.
I still don't see how charging for the room correction or making it a standalone option will help Wiim improve it?

@landco back to your original point, how do you feel the room correction could be improved? How does it compare to YPAO, Audyssey, Dirac or even Sonarworks for example?
This is a very good question. I would also like to understand, as a newbie in audio world. What are the difference in possibilities Room correction offered by Wiim vs Dirac

This is a very good question. I would also like to understand, as a newbie in audio world. What are the difference in possibilities Room correction offered by Wiim vs Dirac
From what they said over the internet, Dirac is gold standard on room correction.

At the moment the Wiim RC is quite limited in comparison to Dirac and Audyssey, certainly. The biggest drawback, in my opinion, of the Wiim RC at the moment is that it does not correct each channel independently. Hopefully it won't be long until Wiim introduce this.

At the moment the Wiim RC is quite limited in comparison to Dirac and Audyssey, certainly. The biggest drawback, in my opinion, of the Wiim RC at the moment is that it does not correct each channel independently. Hopefully it won't be long until Wiim introduce this.
The RC may change its calculation once the separate left and right peq release. It may improve it’s performance but for what the official firmware it sound great on my system.

The RC may change its calculation once the separate left and right peq release. It may improve it’s performance but for what the official firmware it sound great on my system.
It would need to change the method as well as the calculation.

From what they said over the internet, Dirac is gold standard on room correction.
I wish I could confirm that, but I can't get it to work for me (I have never gotten round to contacting Dirac support) It is very particular about noise and there are a lot of users who have had similar issues. It is, by all means, very good. Room Perfect is also highly regarded.

It made an improvement to my system as well, certainly, but hopefully with separate left and right it should sound a little better still.
I have seen you post previously about the improvement it has made to your sound, I'm genuinely pleased you are enjoying it, that's what it's all about!!

I wish I could confirm that, but I can't get it to work for me (I have never gotten round to contacting Dirac support) It is very particular about noise and there are a lot of users who have had similar issues. It is, by all means, very good. Room Perfect is also highly regarded.
Their software license is expensive. If you buy mini dsp with Dirac it can get expensive. It’s ok if we have Elon musk pocket book.

Their software license is expensive. If you buy mini dsp with Dirac it can get expensive. It’s ok if we have Elon musk pocket book.
Yeah I have a Minidsp Flex with Dirac in my main system and have tried 3/4 times, but each time I have had an issue, but that is a different story. I use REW to apply manual EQ, and this sounds great, but I'd like to get Dirac working, obviously.
I have used the Wiim RC in another system and it works well, for me, and helped control the bass quite well.

It made an improvement to my system as well, certainly, but hopefully with separate left and right it should sound a little better still.
I have seen you post previously about the improvement it has made to your sound, I'm genuinely pleased you are enjoying it, that's what it's all about!!
I wasn’t expecting good because I was part of rc beta and it was terrible. I don’t know what wiim did but they address my complaint as well as others and to my surprise it made difference for the better after the official release. I think going forward wiim may refined or tweak the algorithm to give all of us hard core music lover close to dirac, audessey or ypao. None of these are possible if wiim is not master of software.

Other streamer will give you top notch hardware but those damn hardware are useless if the engineer behind the software are lacking in skills. All they give is bug fixing and no added features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back