Room Correction... I like it!

Even if frequencies above 400Hz could be assessed with proper acoustic panels, nothing is possible against nodal resonances below Schrodinger frequency, tipical for any given room, without heavy structural intervention.
This is the reason why dsp active room correction is essential, from a basic one based just on levels correction to a much more better correcting phase and time also.
From a correction perspective, the use of subwoofers and not so big speakers can be much more versatile and convenient in terms of placement.

I turned off RC now since few people told me that the +9,5db at 40hz and below will likely damage my speakers if I am listening too loud. So better be safe than sorry.

Interestingly, the difference between on and off EQ/RC is only subtle despite the big gain at 40hz.

Still sounds great w/o Room correction. I also get the feeling that adaptation to sound plays a big role in HiFi world…Once you got used to some sound you automatically prefer it ;)

I turned off RC now since few people told me that the +9,5db at 40hz and below will likely damage my speakers if I am listening too loud. So better be safe than sorry.

Interestingly, the difference between on and off EQ/RC is only subtle despite the big gain at 40hz.

Still sounds great w/o Room correction. I also get the feeling that adaptation to sound plays a big role in HiFi world…Once you got used to some sound you automatically prefer it ;)
Probably not much going on at 40Hz with a lot of music.

People on another forum told me that in this case all the additional energy submitted to the woofers is translated to heat and that might damage them?

Even though I set the starting point to 40Hz RC also lifted up lower frequencies:

IMG_7983.jpeg

Anyway, I currently like the EQ off sound :)

Or the particular loudspeaker is not made for that…
Two totally unrelated things.

If your music doesn't contain any information at 40 Hz it doesn't matter if the speaker was "made for that" or not. :)

@layer9: Long before your speakers might be damaged you will hear the sound becoming very unpleasant. There's hardly a real risk of damaging the speakers without you taking note before.

Still it's a safe bet to restrict the correction to 60 Hz and above. The best solution for clean deep base was adding a subwoofer, crossing at 80 Hz, maybe higher. It would also improve the quality, especially at higher levels.

Two totally unrelated things.

If your music doesn't contain any information at 40 Hz it doesn't matter if the speaker was "made for that" or not. :)

@layer9: Long before your speakers might be damaged you will hear the sound becoming very unpleasant. There's hardly a real risk of damaging the speakers without you taking note before.

Still it's a safe bet to restrict the correction to 60 Hz and above. The best solution for clean deep base was adding a subwoofer, crossing at 80 Hz, maybe higher. It would also improve the quality, especially at higher levels.
If one has a subwoofer, does the RC take this into account? I'm assuming yes.

And then if one is fiddling with the crossover, the RC needs to be run multiple times

If one has a subwoofer, does the RC take this into account? I'm assuming yes.

And then if one is fiddling with the crossover, the RC needs to be run multiple times
Yes, RC takes every speaker as a whole. As long as you expand the frequency to cover lower band (<80Hz), RC tries to adjust.

As mentioned, you can turn them in the EQ settings off.
May I ask, what loudspekers do you have?
I have Elac Vela FS 409.2 floorstands that according to their data sheet can handele as low as 28Hz.

I also hear a difference in some music when I set the gain at 40Hz to +9,5db.

But now after listening for a few hours without EQ at all it sounds unnatural to me if I turn it on again. As written above I think this has to do with getting used to the sound over time.

I have Elac Vela FS 409.2 floorstands that according to their data sheet can handele as low as 28Hz.

But now after listening for a few hours without EQ at all it sounds unnatural to me if I turn it on again. As written above I think this has to do with getting used to the sound over time.
My experience with RC is a bit mixed. I don't like it. Somehow it reduces vocal clarity. I currently apply Spinorama-based auto EQ profile to the main speakers (https://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama), which sounds way better than RC and non-EQ.

On a German hifi forum they told me that the speakers audio crossover or voice coil might melt down if I submit so much energy to frequencies my speakers cannot even handle. But I have a feeling that might not be correct since the whole discussion there was a little shaped by anti-EQ attitude ;)

Last edited:
On a German hifi forum they told me that the speakers audio crossover might melt down if I submit so much energy to frequencies my speakers cannot even handle. But I have a feeling that might not be correct since the whole discussion there was a little shaped by anti-EQ attitude ;)
Most of active speakers have built-in limiter and no need to worry about damaging speaker or crossover. I agree to the point about distortion when speakers are driven beyond the limit.

There is no +/- figure so that 28hz is nonsense.

Goes up to 50khz? 😆

Main issues with boosting a low frequency dip is that RC cannot correct it because it is most likely a null point. Reducing excessive output at problematic frequency is straightforward. But the opposite action may not be effective.

Back