Room Correction... I like it!

Main issues with boosting a low frequency dip is that RC cannot correct it because it is most likely a null point. Reducing excessive output at problematic frequency is straightforward. But the opposite action may not be effective.
This is easy to find out, though, by performing measurements in different spots. If the dip doesn't show up everywhere around the MLP, there's absolutely no point on trying to correct it.

Moving the speakers/subs might be the better approach, if possible.

There is no +/- figure so that 28hz is nonsense.

Goes up to 50khz? 😆

Just found out those elac are rated using this

Which means +/-10db so I'd set those speakers to 50hz and don't correct under 50hz

Just found out those elac are rated using this

Which means +/-10db so I'd set those speakers to 50hz and don't correct under 50hz
It is impossible to directly derive the +/- 3 dB frequency range from +/- 10 dB numbers.

The +/- 3 dB FR doesn't even say anything about the displacement volume of the bass drivers or the maximum SPL a speaker is capable of. Elac does not specify max SPL, btw.

The FR according to IEC 268-5 is measured in an unechoic environment. The in room response is very much different and will show much lower attenuation at the lower border.

It is impossible to directly derive the +/- 3 dB frequency range from +/- 10 dB numbers.

The +/- 3 dB FR doesn't even say anything about the displacement volume of the bass drivers or the maximum SPL a speaker is capable of. Elac does not specify max SPL, btw.

The FR according to IEC 268-5 is measured in an unechoic environment. The in room response is very much different and will show much lower attenuation at the lower border.

Estimation. Against similar design of speakers driver sizes, number of drivers etc.

28hz for ported dual driver 7" does seem a bit too low. 40hz-50hz is the norm for speaker like that

Around 50hz, so yeah about right.

No… It will be -3db at 28hz . That is the point where the bass rolls off . Even 35hz will be 0db in room

My Elac carina are -3db at 46hz and even from 2.5m I get that number running sweeps at reference volumes and they have only one 5.25 inch driver . The Elac vela fs409.2 is simply a monster

Last edited:
And regarding the low frequency content on music you will be surprised how much there is in many many audio tracks . Just run an rta level meter and you will see how much 20 - 40hz content there is … There is life in the first octave!

And regarding the low frequency content on music you will be surprised how much there is in many many audio tracks . Just run an rta level meter and you will see how much 20 - 40hz content there is … There is life in the first octave!
Not on LP records. ;)

You guys have taken the thread I started to say "Thanks and I like it" to a whole new level.
The information I read is beyond my skill set of audio knowledge, but still good to see.
Attached is my room which is very large with high ceilings. There is furniture out of view in the listening area.
I've done a few room corrections but feel like I like the first one best.

Just reiterating that I like the performance of RC in my setup and I don't want to "overthink it" :)

Attachments

• 20240320_174233532_iOS.jpg
    20240320_174233532_iOS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6528.png
    IMG_6528.png
    739.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Bluesound and Dirac live became partners . If this rolls out to node n130 the competition will be way ahead

The good thing is, you don‘t have to use the RC results as a „this is it“.
It can serve as a great base-line to indivdual adaptions with the different EQ parameters where needed.
E.g. for my main listening position, my RC results are great, but for other places in the room the base is exaggerated. So I looked with the parameters where in the bass range exactly (just by switching the relevant frequency correction temporarily off) and corrected finally the value at 31Hz by -2dB. Also the correction point 10 was not benefitial to my ears, so I swiched it off…
It will never be perfect, but it is much better than without❣️

Attachments

• IMG_9682.png
    IMG_9682.png
    906.5 KB · Views: 12
Bluesound and Dirac live became partners . If this rolls out to node n130 the competition will be way ahead

That will make node more expensive because Dirac license is expensive. Wiim gave us RC for free even Dirac might be superior but the sq difference may not be night and day.

That will make node more expensive because Dirac license is expensive. Wiim gave us RC for free even Dirac might be superior but the sq difference may not be night and day.

If you have sub it matters a lot . If you don’t then peq is sufficient most of the times

It depends from the single case and if you use a subwoofer or not but I believe it can be.
I used to measure with house curves with calibrated mic and then adjusting with the WiiM's PEQ. The result was very good, until I got (for some reasons) a Dirac equipped amplifier. Whilst level correction it's important, nothing is essential as the time alignment of sub and speakers. It was an essential step up. If I understood well, WiiM's RC it's a sort of automated house curve but it can do nothing in impulse alignment and phase. Eve if you can move in the room as required (frequently not allowed to) the subwoofer and the speaker, you won't be able to get such precision.
So, good there is RC, better if it will align time in the future...

It depends from the single case and if you use a subwoofer or not but I believe it can be.
I used to measure with house curves with calibrated mic and then adjusting with the WiiM's PEQ. The result was very good, until I got (for some reasons) a Dirac equipped amplifier. Whilst level correction it's important, nothing is essential as the time alignment of sub and speakers. It was an essential step up. If I understood well, WiiM's RC it's a sort of automated house curve but it can do nothing in impulse alignment and phase. Eve if you can move in the room as required (frequently not allowed to) the subwoofer and the speaker, you won't be able to get such precision.
So, good there is RC, better if it will align time in the future...
WiiM has time delay for sub and main speakers which you need to set manually.

WiiM has time delay for sub and main speakers which you need to set manually.
That's good but it's not as accurate and it's available on WiiM amp only. This involves other measuring software and empirical further adjustments and would require a dedicated dsp. Forget to do that by ears. If WiiM make this automatically, it would be a final step in correct direction.

Back