Sub is unusable at this point - EDIT, its not.

andyp

Sorry for another sub-thread but i dont understand this really. Sub out seems broken right now.

Been running room correction and tried around a bit. If i understand correctly room correction with sub doesnt work at this point but you can ad a sub after and use the crossover.

Ive been running room correction with sub disabled. When I enable the sub, the mids on my speakers lowers significanty regardless if i pull down the crossover to 30 (my speakers is from 44 and up). My aim is offcourse to take som workload from my satelite speakers but since quality sound from the mids disappear I cant use sub out at all at this point.

Any takes on this?

Sorry for another sub-thread but i dont understand this really. Sub out seems broken right now.

Been running room correction and tried around a bit. If i understand correctly room correction with sub doesnt work at this point but you can ad a sub after and use the crossover.

Ive been running room correction with sub disabled. When I enable the sub, the mids on my speakers lowers significanty regardless if i pull down the crossover to 30 (my speakers is from 44 and up). My aim is offcourse to take som workload from my satelite speakers but since quality sound from the mids disappear I cant use sub out at all at this point.

Any takes on this?
How does the PEQ filter table look? The sub could be too loud and overpowering everything else.

How does the PEQ filter table look? The sub could be too loud and overpowering everything else.

See attached. I have the sub on real low volym so that doesnt interfere with what im hearing. Could be that my mids produces sound at 60hz and the sub is just very low. I feel that they have to take a look the sub out.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2024-08-08 kl. 00.30.31.png
    Skärmavbild 2024-08-08 kl. 00.30.31.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Any takes on this?
I know how you feel. Check the spec of your speaker let say 40 to 25khz -/+3db. You will set crossover at 45. Your speakers will produce what it was design to produce and below 45 the sub takes over to fill the bottom. Properly adjust the volume and make sure sub volume is not high to a point it call for attention. Play deep bass music like pipe organ. You will hear the natural sound the way your speaker sound with the extension of deep bass that sub provide.

know how you feel. Check the spec of your speaker let say 40 to 25khz -/+3db. You will set crossover at 45. Your speakers will produce what it was design to produce and below 45 the sub takes over to fill the bottom.
I don't agree with that procedure at all. Published speaker specs can be anything between pretty reliable and pure phantasy. Even if the measurements are for real they refer to anechoic environment which has nothing to do with in-room response. This also completely ignores the aspect of relieving the mains from bass duties, thus reducing distortion, as rightfully desired by @andyp.

See attached. I have the sub on real low volym so that doesnt interfere with what im hearing. Could be that my mids produces sound at 60hz and the sub is just very low. I feel that they have to take a look the sub out.
How did you do this RC run? Was this with the sub enabled in the WiiM Home App or disabled? What crossover frequency (if applicable)? Which settings for RC (target curve, frequency range, max. gain, max Q)? The result clearly shows correction between 40 Hz and ~3 kHz.

If anything is not working satisfactory right now it's RC, not the sub out configuration.

I would not set the crossover frequency at F3 of the main. I rather set to a frequency somewhere above. I would start at 80Hz where majority of speakers and subwoofers can have reasonable outputs at stable phase responses. Then, adjust polarity on the sub and decide the better one (between 0deg and 180deg) and adjust timing / delay. Then, match levels between the subwoofer and main. You can use RC function to measure the level if you do not have a measurement tool. You may change the crossover frequency up or down and repeat the process until you are satisfied.

After all these adjustment, I would try RC. For my current set up, I do not turn on RC. Maybe my current set up does not need RC.

One thing that may be helpful is to run from frequency sweeps. I have Qobuz and if you search with the phrase "frequency sweep" they have a number of options besides the common 20 Hz to 20kHz. I recall finding a 20 Hz to 400 Hz track that would be useful for hearing what your sub/speaker integration settings sound like. I imagine Tidal, Spotify and the other services also have these available.

I know how you feel. Check the spec of your speaker let say 40 to 25khz -/+3db. You will set crossover at 45. Your speakers will produce what it was design to produce and below 45 the sub takes over to fill the bottom. Properly adjust the volume and make sure sub volume is not high to a point it call for attention. Play deep bass music like pipe organ. You will hear the natural sound the way your speaker sound with the extension of deep bass that sub provide.
My speakers is
33 - 40.000 Hz +/- 3dB (in-room)

Trying crossover at 60, 0 db. Think thats max that i can go. Have to try around more.

How did you do this RC run? Was this with the sub enabled in the WiiM Home App or disabled? What crossover frequency (if applicable)? Which settings for RC (target curve, frequency range, max. gain, max Q)? The result clearly shows correction between 40 Hz and ~3 kHz.

If anything is not working satisfactory right now it's RC, not the sub out configuration.
Ran it with sub disabled in the wiim app. Now im at 60 hz crossover. My speakers: 33 - 40.000 Hz +/- 3dB (in-room) (Buchardt s400 mk 2). If i go over 60hz i can clearly hear the mids on my speakers disappear so i guess i just have to very low on the crossover.

Maybe ive done something wrong in the process or its just a case of my speakers going quite low and losing characteristic sound at higher crossover.

I would not set the crossover frequency at F3 of the main. I rather set to a frequency somewhere above. I would start at 80Hz where majority of speakers and subwoofers can have reasonable outputs at stable phase responses. Then, adjust polarity on the sub and decide the better one (between 0deg and 180deg) and adjust timing / delay. Then, match levels between the subwoofer and main. You can use RC function to measure the level if you do not have a measurement tool. You may change the crossover frequency up or down and repeat the process until you are satisfied.

After all these adjustment, I would try RC. For my current set up, I do not turn on RC. Maybe my current set up does not need RC.
Thanks. Yeah done all that. My correct result is that I cant go over 60hz then my speakers loses their full sound that i love. But my aim is to take workload of my 2-way speakers so they can produce better.

Thanks. Yeah done all that. My correct result is that I cant go over 60hz then my speakers loses their full sound that i love. But my aim is to take workload of my 2-way speakers so they can produce better.
If it sounds less full when you set the crossover to 60Hz then it seems your sub volume is too low relative to the main speakers.

You might try limiting the RC frequency range to 40hz-400hz. Also please try changing the phase of the subwoofer to find a better sounding setting.

You might try limiting the RC frequency range to 40hz-400hz. Also please try changing the phase of the subwoofer to find a better sounding setting.
So i should try RC with sub active? Ive read here that RC with sub doesnt work currently. I could be wrong.

But i also want RC to work in the full range.

If it sounds less full when you set the crossover to 60Hz then it seems your sub volume is too low relative to the main speakers.
I want the sub to be really subtil. I played around with the volume. My goal is to take workload from my 2-way speakers in the lowest frequenzies. They go from 33. Now i use the sub between 33-60 and im not sure how much useful this is. When i go higher on the sub, i dont like the sound since my speakers character goes away. Hope you guys understand, english is not my native :)

I want the sub to be really subtil. I played around with the volume. My goal is to take workload from my 2-way speakers in the lowest frequenzies. They go from 33. Now i use the sub between 33-60 and im not sure how much useful this is. When i go higher on the sub, i dont like the sound since my speakers character goes away. Hope you guys understand, english is not my native :)
If you set the crossover to 60Hz your main speakers will not play below 60Hz. What does it sound like if you turn off room correction and just use the sub at different crossover frequencies?

So i should try RC with sub active? Ive read here that RC with sub doesnt work currently. I could be wrong.

But i also want RC to work in the full range.
Normally you would need to run RC with the subwoofer on. Currently, the correction only occurs at frequencies above the crossover.

The PEQ screen you originally posted shows a negative adjustment in the 400Hz-2kHz range. If this is the cause, limiting the frequency range to 40hz-400hz may bring back the midrange.

However, it is also possible that the sound you were hearing before RC had too much emphasis on the midrange. If you install a measurement application on your phone and take a sweep measurement, it will reveal the cause to some extent.

The reason @harkpabst asked you so many questions was to get a more complete picture of your situation.

If you still have the PEQ you originally posted, you can listen to it with bands 7 and 8 off.

If you still have the PEQ you originally posted, you can listen to it with bands 7 and 8 off.
Cool. Turn it off. But cant save it. They return to PK for some reason as soon as i press save. Might be a bug.

Cool. Turn it off. But cant save it. They return to PK for some reason as soon as i press save. Might be a bug.
Save it to a name other than "Auto". Use a name that does not contain that string at all.

So i tried an audio check with all the frequenzies. Everything working as intended. Its me that just have to find the right crossover.

Emailed buchardt and got fast reply from Mads himself. He recommends 65 as crossover to take away the most stress.

Back