Test WIIM pro+ with different power supplies

My wife loves great music on a great system, has excellent hearing and was an audiologist for quite a few years. I will have to do some testing with her involved not just in power supplies but also in 16/44, 24/192, etc....

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
This paper would seem to put the proverbial 'cat amoung the pigeons' 😁
I have not paid to read the whole paper, but if the gist of it is that there is a lot more to hearing than measurements, I would agree......
I would also add some of us have more highly developed Temporal Domains than others. I have a hifi buddy who is autistic. He often comes up to listen to my system and I would challenge him if he can hear any changes I have done since the last visit. He can always point them out...sometimes he likes them, sometimes he doesn't, but he can always remember what the system sounded like before I made the changes. Like some people have a 'photographic' memory, he has an 'audiographic' memory and is certainly gifted in the temporal domain department!

Last edited:
Next week a LPS (Linear Power Supply) should arrive for the Wiim Pro, which I am using as a streamer only, connected to a separate DAC. I will let you know if I hear an improvement in sound quality. I hope so, but proof is in the 🍮.
Hi , I have done extended listening comparisons with a Linn Klimax DS/0 renew and a WiiM pro, using different power supplies for the WiiM .

IMG_4393.jpegIMG_4359.jpeg

Next week a LPS (Linear Power Supply) should arrive for the Wiim Pro, which I am using as a streamer only, connected to a separate DAC. I will let you know if I hear an improvement in sound quality. I hope so, but proof is in the 🍮.
Looking forward to that review :)

I don't think that proves the difference in sound quality between a "cleaner lower-cost PSU" and a "more expensive and more cleaner PSU". 🙂

It is conceivable that a power supply of extremely poor quality, such as the USB of a PC, may degrade the sound quality.
If really bad , It can put back lots of switching noise back on the grid , making other components such as amplifiers sounding possible worse . This fact is often neglected . Linear power supplies also pollute the grid somewhat.

( Edit: one of the worst offenders with inbuilt switched power supply is Apple TV v.3 . Its pollution is so big that it makes analog tv picture look bad if its on the same powerblock . Noone watches analog tv nowadays ofcourse, but its interesting )

Last edited:
Hi , I have done extended listening comparisons with a Linn Klimax DS/0 renew and a WiiM pro, using different power supplies for the WiiM .....
Interesting read, In this test an Apple iPad USB charger turned out to provide clean power with very low spikes, noise and ripple, with very good current stability. I don't have an iPad charger to compare it with my upcoming LPS from Audiophonics. Your experiment shows that a good power supply can make a difference in sound quality, even when bits are bits, there is more to it.

Looks it could become an amusing Sunday, a few threads with great potential 😉

Interesting read, In this test an Apple iPad USB charger turned out to provide clean power with very low spikes, noise and ripple, with very good current stability. I don't have an iPad charger to compare it with my upcoming LPS from Audiophonics. Your experiment shows that a good power supply can make a difference in sound quality, even when bits are bits, there is more to it.
My iPad charger 5V , 2A from 2012 has been tested already , here:

IMG_4434.png

IMG_0801.png
…its just slightly better than the stock supply for the WiiM if measured on the DC side ( onlyoneme has tested the stock supply ) . However , I have no clue about the switching frequency of the iPad charger , if its something that is for the better with the WiiM pro, or the amount of pollution the stock supply puts out back to the grid .

The battery powerbank didnt sound best, there was no difference compared to the stock power supply . This was a surprise for me. Again - the powerbank have switchers on the output and the ripple may be worse than the stock supply .

Last edited:
iPad charger is 12 v the drawback of iPhone charger is ripple . To me ifi power x is a nice upgrade

Yesterday I have bought a lm317 power supply board with a separate 9V 3A linear AC transformer to try with the WiiM pro. I will compare it to the iPad 2012 charger. 13 euro for the lm317 board so no big investment. Delivery from audiophonics before christmas.

Looking forward to your impression of your LPS.

IMG_0811.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday I have bought a lm317 power supply board with a 9V 3A linear AC transformer to try with the WiiM pro. I will compare it to the iPad 2012 charger. 13 euro for the lm317 board so no big investment. Delivery from audiophonics before christmas.

Looking forward to your impression of your LPS.
Is 9V okay for the Wiim, as it accepts 5V ?

Is 9V okay for the Wiim, as it accepts 5V ?
The linear transformer output is 9V AC . This cant be used with the WiiM. It would destroy the unit.

What you see on the picture is the regulation board, not the AC transformer.

WiiM pro needs 5V DC . The lm317 board converts 9V AC to a pure 5V DC at its output.
( You can change the DC output anywhere from between 1.5V to 7V with lm317 with the trim-pot, when using my 9V AC transformer )
One needs a simple voltmeter measurement instrument to do this.

Last edited:
Very much looking forward to your results. The more reasonable cost methods that are tested the better chance of finding the best balance of improving the outcome at a cost most can afford. For those with deeper pockets or just have no limits if they find something that makes them happy so be it. Once past a certain threshold there my be gains but the cost increase is exponential, I have experience in that realm, wish I still had some of that money not so well used. Now I stay where I have most of my life, getting the best results for the lowest cost, actually a more rewarding result.

The biggest sum I will spend on this is for the iFi ipowerx I received which I can at least take a listen to today as well as an Ankor 5 volt battery. Before of after I try a new internet switch(bought used) going from Motorola 2180 that I only use the Ethernet ports on to a Cysco Catalyst 2960G I received yesterday in mint shape bought on Ebay for $59, supposed to be a very clean switch. Speaker(amp, DSP, etc included as active unit) for now is a very fine Martin Logan Vision X sound bar (bought used several years ago for $225, a steal of a deal) which unfortunately has an issue that just started up I am working on with the line level inputs so have to use optical or coax.

I would spend the day outside working on our all out full time RV remodel but most of the day just to darn cold so I can play indoors a bit, only 17 our right now.

Last edited:
Update: I just ordered a used iPad charger on *bay for $6.49 shipped from a very reliable seller, it had a clear picture showing details so I know it is an original apply 5 volt charger.
---------
I would like to include an OEM Apple iPad 5 volt charger, found some used ones on Ebay and likely real Apple since being sold as used and under $10 shipped but I will look into buying a new one direct from Apple if still just $19. That way I can listen to the WiiM original charger, even try an original Samsung one, the battery bank, iFi iPowerX, and the Apple unit.

Last edited:
Update: I just ordered a used iPad charger on *bay for $6.49 shipped from a very reliable seller, it had a clear picture showing details so I know it is an original apply 5 volt charger..........
Exciting times , both you and @Musician and me have power supplies coming in to see if and how the output of the Wiim can be improved. Are you using the analog or digital output of the Wiim?

Yes, I agree, great fun and not a ton of money, even better:)
I will be using an outboard DAC once I get a problem fixed on my temp system and certainly on our higher end system once I get it up and running but not ready to install it yet, still remodeling. For now testing the digital out only as that part of my system is working fine(Martin Logan Vision X soundbar, dang fine unit, listed for around $1700, bought it used for $225) I picked the Pro Plus though going to use an outboard DAC (Topping E70 Velvet) I wanted to take a listen to it with the analog outputs and I got it on sale for $175.

Back