The competition doesn't sleep

One of the biggest adventage of Bluesound's streamers is IR remote control
Most the IR remotes I have struggle with range over about 6meters,

They also struggle with cupboard doors, and even LED lighting can interfere with it, bluetooth remotes have none of these issues.

What is it that is preferred about IR remotes?

As a former user of both the BlueSound NODE (130) and a WiiM Mini, I can honestly say that to my ears, there was no significant audible difference switching from a €500 NODE to a €100 Mini. There were some sonic differences, but I can't say any of them was "better" than the other.
I've sold the NODE simply because that made economic sense to me.

I expect sonics should be more or less comparable/similar between the Nano, the Pro Plus and the Ultra, so the features and the price will be decisive. If you want/need the screen, the Ultra is the obvious choice. If you want the quality at a more affordable price, you might go for the Pro Plus. In my opinion, that doesn't leave too much space for the Nano: it is oriented towards BlueOS afficionados, to people already in that ecosystem, and of course to people who want that particular streamer.

What is it that is preferred about IR remotes?
Ease of integration with universal remote controls like the harmony hub, and subsequent automation for one thing. I’ve just had to jump thru hoops to get my WiiM ultra integrated into my morning wake-up Alexa routine via a harmony hub, raspberry Pi, homeassistant, a Flirc dongle, http api calls etc to turn on my amp, ultra, set my amp input and play a favourite radio station from LMS. My one harmony remote can now issue play/ pause/ next/ previous commands to control the Ultra while also controlling volume etc on my amp. If the WiiM Ultra supported IR directly I could have cut out a lot of complexity.

Ease of integration with universal remote controls like the harmony hub, and subsequent automation for one thing. I’ve just had to jump thru hoops to get my WiiM ultra integrated into my morning wake-up Alexa routine via a harmony hub, raspberry Pi, homeassistant, a Flirc dongle, http api calls etc to turn on my amp, ultra, set my amp input and play a favourite radio station from LMS. My one harmony remote can now issue play/ pause/ next/ previous commands to control the Ultra while also controlling volume etc on my amp. If the WiiM Ultra supported IR directly I could have cut out a lot of complexity.
That's quite a niche requirement!

Not sure why you want to do all that, when you can control any Wiim product through the excellent app?

Much the same reason as I use a harmony remote for my av kit - it’s much more convenient to grab a hold of a single remote that can turn on a number of devices, set the appropriate inputs and outputs and initiate playback, or immediately mute the sound, rather than finding my phone or tablet (if they’re not being used for something else), wake the device, find the relevant app, scroll thru the option to find your device and then hit mute. Not everything can be done from a phone’s wake screen…

I have a wifi plug on my system. Switches everything on at once, except the amp which I switch off manually after use, then I use my tablet or phone. Always know where my phone is.

I agree with you.
I use Wiim as a DAC for my CD as well.
And to change source from Wifi to Optical in Wiim I have to use app. Auto sensing for Optical input works only if there is no signal from other sources.
I have Logitech Harmony as well and I want to use one remote controller to change between CD (through Wiim) and Wiim Wifi.

I can also accept support for a uniwersal Bluetooth/IR remote controller like Sofabaton.

Ir remote is totally non comparably better than bt remote. Bt remote is one from worse cons of current audio equipment. There is no exactly any problem with range or led lights in case of modern ir. Exacly - any. Modern ir is working even directed to oposide side, from far corner of the room. Especially when 360degrees ir bridge is used with zigbee remote. But it can be first of all scripted. Ir script can perform a whole set of instructions at once. And can perform commands triggered by other conditions or time based instructions. For example, ir controller can adjust level of bas in audio system automatically according to time of day - Turing of bas for night, turning on for day. Or can choose EQ profiles or playlist, or display visualizations, source or anything at one remote button. Wiim remote is very, very poor, in case of universal remote any function or set of steps can be available at one button. Which is far, far, far better than phone app. Or even custom Google assistant voice command. Or from zigbee controlers placed independently on walls as part of smart home system. For anything.

BT remote is huge disadvantage of wiim products.

Best products have simply both interfaces - bt and ir.

Last edited:
But the Harmony remote is also bluetooth?
Remote itself can be also ir, can be bt, can be zigbee, can be thread or wifi, doesn't matter. I have all types. Such remotes are working with independent ir bridge. I have such bridges in every room. They can control every ir equipment - whole rtv, air conditioning, digital frames, some ir lights and many, many others. One brige can receive commands in many different ways - also by Google assistant, siri, or other.

Exept equipment with its own, bt protocol....

If IR remote is far better why would a brand choose for BT remote then?
How many use BT remote over IR I wonder.

And again if IR is far better why still choosing BT remote ?

For one thing, a BT remote can be paired with one particular device, whereas an IR remote signal will be picked up by any device within range.
So it could be a disadvantage?
I mean I read all the advantages of a IR remote but if there are only advantages why would manufacturers still choose BT remote then?
There must be disadvantages one would say..
Or deliver both..I mean a remote which has BT an IR.
It would be more expensive?

Then maybe deliver a remote wich has both but i can Imagine IT would cost more.
Amazon fire tv remotes do both but for different functions - bt for the fire tv itself for screen navigation and IR for associated equipment like tv or soundbar for volume and power control. And of course a mic for voice control.

Amazon fire tv remotes do both but for different functions - bt for the fire tv itself for screen navigation and IR for associated equipment like tv or soundbar for volume and power control. And of course a mic for voice control.
Thanks didn't know that.
Recently bought a new Mediaplayer.
Has also an IR remote.

Back